• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To all those who knock on the .40

We were the greatest country in the world when all we used was standard. Why. Because its the standard that's why. We made the best cars in the world when they were built with nothing but 9/16th and 5/8th. That's why 40 is so awesome because its American. What size wrench do you need? A half inch. I mean what what's a 9mm? Stupid that what it is. When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor we kicked there ass. Why. Because they used the metric system. And 9mm. the metric system is stupid. 40 is just a more efficient 45 that all.
/thread

The only reason I own anything in 40 is that it is the minimum caliber for major scoring in USPSA Limited. Now that I've reloaded it for years I've found it quite versatile. It works well for minor and major (exploding Glock jokes aside). Pre-ban glock 40 mags are a LOT cheaper than 9. You don't have to deal with crimped brass nearly as much as 9. It's a straight wall case rather than tapered. I've had less issues with setback and setting up dies. I roll size all my 9 and 40 so that takes care of the glocked brass.

The only reason I own anything in 40 is that it is the minimum caliber for major scoring in USPSA Limited. Now that I've reloaded it for years I've found it quite versatile. It works well for minor and major (exploding Glock jokes aside). Pre-ban glock 40 mags are a LOT cheaper than 9. You don't have to deal with crimped brass nearly as much as 9. It's a straight wall case rather than tapered. I've had less issues with setback and setting up dies. I roll size all my 9 and 40 so that takes care of the glocked brass.
At one time you also could get 40 brass for basically free because nobody wanted it.... I obviously that's changed over the years but I remember that being kind of a big deal for reloading at one point.

The other issue with 9mm and the metric system as a whole is this was a plot by the Japanese and the Russians. CNN said so. The Japanese knew nobody in their right mind except them can build a car based on the metric system. They goaded us into competing with them. That's where the entire American automobile industry fell apart. When they switched to metric. I mean come man what's a 5.3 liter. 328? That's stupid. A 327 with a solid lifter cam is where its at. With the Ruskies they goaded us into 9mm turning men fragile. They knew if American men became fragile they could come in and kick ass. They wouldn't dare do that with 40 which is a more efficient 45.

I've never knocked .40. I just don't own one because I like the .45 better. I think the .40 is a fine caliber but I also think that it beats the shit out of the small guns it's chambered in. In a full size gun it's probably almost as good as a .45

For me 40 is nice because I can throw a 357 sig barrel in and use the same everything. And both calibers are not hard to find usually during retarded times. Especially the 357 sig. Its always a more expensive than 9mm....until...now.

And I reload all the 40 I want.

I don't know why people knock .40. The range was so full of .40 on the ground I started picking it up and bought two .40 cal guns. Beretta96fs and a Sig. I have 4 ammo cans full of reloaded .40, loose and I mean full. Thousands of rounds, done dirt cheap for a fun at the range without counting each and every shot and adding up what it is costing me.
Four-tay forever baby!

i bought four boxes of fotay up at ktp.
it almost literally was the ONLY THING they had on the shelves!
i did not really need it, but figured....heck who know with the pandemic and riots predicted for tomorrow...

Remember Black Talon bullets? The "cop killer" bullets?
I had two boxes in .40 that have been sitting on the shelves for years.
I bought them when I had a .40 FireStar. I have a permanently damaged thumb from a bike wreck, and that gun was never comfortable to shoot. I sold it probably 20 years ago, maybe more; got rid of the rest of my .40 ammo at the time - but kept the Talons because ??
I gave them away a couple weeks ago to friends of mine. They both shoot .40.

I've got a .357Sig, (that's a .40 necked down to a 9). Picked it up to try out as a pin gun, and because it makes major in USPSA Limited. Still not quite sure if I like it or not. It's definitely an interesting round.

If you didn't find it less expensive you were doing it wrong.

I agree.

Though there was a time about 7 or 8 years ago when I could get 9 mm CCI Blazer ofr about $8/box. It cost me about $5 per box to make the same ammo.

Not worth it unless you are making specific tweaked rounds for a specific gun.

However I shoot more than 9mm. For .45 ACP it was at the time about $15/box vs $7/box
For .44 mag , it was $20+/box vs $9/box.

For .454 Casull it was $50+/box vs $12/box. (though admittedly light loads, which also made it more pleasant to shoot)

Now that things are crazy, I am continuing to reload 9mm at a cost of roughly $6/box. Primarily because I have a stash of items I bought in bulk that will allow me to weather pretty much any shortage other than civil war without having to buy things at inflated prices. I am fortunate because I have access to property in another state that I visit monthly and store most of my reloading supplies there. So I don't have to really worry about MA storage limitation regulations.

Last weekend I burned through 300 rounds of 9mm. For a total cost of about $36. THAT is why I reload.

I've honestly had no issue finding, buying, and shooting 200-300 rounds a week of range 9mm the past 3-4 months. It's twice the price per box than I was paying 6 months ago, but as I like to shoot it's worth it. My brother plays paintball and I've always compared the costs of my hobby to his. A day of paintball could cost him around $60-100 easily. A day at the range costs me about the same. Online websites currently have had 9mm 500 round range packages instead for the past 2 weeks every time I checked. WAY better compared to what was offered last month.

I don't get the ongoing 40 vs. 9mm thing. There's room for both- no reason to hate either. One is a watered down version of 10mm that still retains a little snap and the other is fantastic for lighter framed people who like paper punching games and can't find 22LR. Another decade of soy diets and there will be a new generation of .380 lovers who mock those who won't let go of their obsolete and excessively recoiling 9mm. You heard it first, here on NES.
[devil]

First of all there are two types of country's in this world. Those that use the metric system and those that put a man on the moon. Also the only people who have trouble shooting the mighty 40 is vegetarians and effeminate males with fragile bones. [pot]
So if we don't use the metric system why do our armed forces shoot almost exclusively metric small weapons

The frenchies and you'reapeons don't speak s.a.e. because of aged cheese and bikes with baskets with baguettes in the handlebar baskets and faggoty beret's and women with hairy armpits and bad teeth and all that.

I read it on the interwebs somewhere so it must be 100% accurate.

yeah, reason i bought my para p-16 in the early 90's. people were trying to load the 9 to major and many failed with some serious over pressures. the .40 made sense and with 16 + 1, you couldn't beat capacity then. shot a ton of .40 in competition , and reloaded just as many of 'em. @drgrant wasn't kidding, the brass was/is cheap. i remember going to gun shows in denver back in the day and picking up 1,000 pc. bags of brand new winchester brass for under 10 bucks. i still have a denver bag with some brass still in it at my bench.
The other issue with 9mm and the metric system as a whole is this was a plot by the Japanese and the Russians. CNN said so. The Japanese knew nobody in their right mind except them can build a car based on the metric system. They goaded us into competing with them. That's where the entire American automobile industry fell apart. When they switched to metric. I mean come man what's a 5.3 liter. 328? That's stupid. A 327 with a solid lifter cam is where its at. With the Ruskies they goaded us into 9mm turning men fragile. They knew if American men became fragile they could come in and kick ass. They wouldn't dare do that with 40 which is a more efficient 45.
now this guy knows how to rant...short and point on!

100% Accurate!!!!

MURICA!!!

There's nothing dumber than the English system for mechanics tools. Let's see, is this a 3/4" socket, or 7/8, or 13/16, or 25/32, or 49/64, or...

Oh wait, there is something more retarded than that- the 'Caliber' system. .303 British is ~.312". There are others but the stupid hurts and I need my brains for work now.

There's nothing dumber than the English system for mechanics tools. Let's see, is this a 3/4" socket, or 7/8, or 13/16, or 25/32, or 49/64, or...

Fighting words, my friend. The imperial system is superior, because highly composite numbers (6, 12, 32, 64) are easy to divide and perform mental math. Inches and feet are based on real-world distances that we can all relate to and visualize. And metric distances are fundamentally flawed because they're defined in terms of the one-way speed of light, which is unknowable.

Oh wait, there is something more retarded than that- the 'Caliber' system. .303 British is ~.312". There are others but the stupid hurts and I need my brains for work now.

Your inability to translate fractions or use simple math is no one elses problem but your own

Fighting words, my friend. The imperial system is superior, because highly composite numbers (6, 12, 32, 64) are easy to divide and perform mental math. Inches and feet are based on real-world distances that we can all relate to and visualize. And metric distances are fundamentally flawed because they're defined in terms of the one-way speed of light, which is unknowable.
Your inability to translate fractions or use simple math is no one elses problem but your own

Metric is for bullheaded, linear thinking Krauts like me. And of course we are correct. I will say that English fractions / calibers are very cute in an archaic sort of way- like calligraphy or barbershop quartets.

I keed, I keed. (Or do I?)

Metric is for bullheaded, linear thinking Krauts like me. And of course we are correct. I will say that English fractions / calibers are very cute in an archaic sort of way- like calligraphy or barbershop quartets.

I keed, I keed. (Or do I?)

You now must forfeit your standard measured .50. To me. And all its standard brass, ammo and shooting related things that go with it.

You now must forfeit your standard measured .50. To me. And all its standard brass, ammo and shooting related things that go with it.

.50? No .50's here.

aSKii2Qh.jpg
dOfVTe8h.jpg

Ball busting aside, mm NATO chambers suck. 7.62 and 5.56 are fine for mag dumping but if you want decent accuracy, rifles must have a true .223 or .308 chamber cut, or at least one of the hybrid chambers. Table look familiar?

Back
Top Bottom