Titegroup Powder - Is it temperature sensitive?

I was planning on loading Titegroup in 9mm, and read somewhere (can't find in threads), that it's
Temperature sensitive. I am not sure if it'll have a noticeable difference loading at 125-130PF, and it's 93 degrees out today. Thanks!

Other than my having to find the "magic number" for charge weight for a cleaner burn, its not as temp sensitive as people make it out to be.
More "humidity sensitive" than anything else, as are all of them.

Other than my having to find the "magic number" for charge weight for a cleaner burn, its not as temp sensitive as people make it out to be.
More "humidity sensitive" than anything else, as are all of them.

“Humility when loading” not “humidity when shooting” I assume you mean.

Yes TG is temp sensitive. I've chronoed TG loads in the summer and winter and they ran slower in the winter. How much slower? I can't remember as it's been awhile.

Most powders are temp sensitive and some are reverse temp sensitive.

I think the powders that aren't effected much by the temperature, are mainly rifle powders not pistol powders. But I could be wrong.

I load all my pistol rounds with Titegroup and haven't noticed any difference in performance through the seasons. But I'm loading to just barely meet power factor in .45acp for IDPA matches, and everything else I load is pretty mild. I don't cook up anywhere near max charges. (.380, 9x18Mak, 9x19, .38spl, .45acp, .45Colt)

I read a thread (but now can’t find!) that N320 or sport pistol was more stable than TG. I’m trying new loads w
Bayou 120TC, so I don’t have any data to compare against. I’ll give it a shot today and see what TG chronoes at.

Put a handful thru the Ol' chrono today. I got pretty much the same 130 PF today ( high 80's) that I got in the winter, and the ammo sat in the car with the windows up for quite a while before I got the range. 4.1 TG with a 125 Acme.
I've no doubt you can find a unicorn powder that doesn't smoke as much/burns cooler/has better SD etc.etc., but in the end it's pistol ammo. Load it up and shoot it.
I've spent billions and decades on trying to make great pistol ammo, and I get beat by guys shooting Tula steel case and Winchester White box all the time.

The main attraction with TG for me is you can always lay your hands on some. Sucks to work up the Grail load with VV or something, and then not be able to get any, and you can't get to the range before the Big Match to test whatever you can get.

I've used it for Cowboy Shooting since it came out in the early-mid 1990's. I tried it because it's Not position sensitive.
I've shot out in the Inland Heat of SoCal in summer and the cold of an Arizona Winter with snow on the ground. Never noticed a pressure change.

But then I don't use it in 9mm.

And it does DESTROY Powder Measure Hoppers.
So I dump and wipe out my Powder Measure as soon as the last bullet is seated.

It's great in small cases as well as large.

I haven't noticed any big changes in 9mm. If you're at the bottle charge you're not even close to max. I believe the callout is 4.5gr for 115gr if I remember correct off top of my head. I've loaded rounds to 5.2gr without primers popping in my G34. I do not suggest loading that hot. The recoil is ridiculous, but it shows how far below real world max a manufacturer limit is.

Used Titegroup for 9mm for years mostly shooting 124/125 gr RN/JHP/plated RN and it consistently chronographed 129-132 from 40-50s to 95+. My chrono check load is 4.07 grs. shooting a 124 gr RN .356" diameter bullet. Haven't seen noticeable change use CCI, Federal, or Winchester primers. Virtually all chronographing done over a CED M series chronographs visible light single chrono, or IR dual chronos. Yesterday, shot a match in 28 degree temp and discovered the dirtiest gun ever using Titegroup. Someone with more experience than comments that TG gets very dirty at low temp unless using very hot primers which I'm taking to mean magnum which I don't possess. Can't test today or any time soon at cold temps. If/when I can, will post what happens re velocity.

Back
Top Bottom