• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tired of Value Paks, Brownells Rolls Out The Barrels, Barrels of AMMO!

That, Boys and Girls is great marketing!

Repackage an existing product at a similar price point and create a buzz. Limit quantities to make it seem special. Rinse and repeat as needed

Agreed! All they did was grab some 55 gallon drums, paint them bright yellow, slap on some stickers and fill it up with ammo. The price is certainly not any savings and when combined with the cost of shipping, it's a foolish purchase.

From Massachusetts Ammo and Component Storage Regulations - MassReloading

MA Ammo and Component Storage Regulations

A Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There's a twist... Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as:

"cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun"

In other words, you must have a firearms license to even possess an ammunition component.

As hard as this is to believe, the Commonwealth also regulates the quantity of ammunition and components that you may store in your home. 527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE regulates the amount of ammunition and components you are allowed to possess.

Without a special permit, you can store:
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition
  • Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition
  • Not more than 9999 primers
  • Up to (but less than) 16 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Up to (but less than) 2 pounds of black powder
527 CMR 1.00 also stipulates that an ammunition storage permit can be obtained from the head of the local fire department.

With a storage permit, you can store:
  • Up to 30,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition*
  • Not more than 47 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Not more than 5 pounds of black powder
* Total of all ammunition cannot exceed 100,000 rounds

Here's a tip: Before you make a trip to the local fire department to get an ammo storage permit, download a copy of 527 CMR 1.00 and print pages 49 and 50. It's possible that the fire chief may not be familiar with it.

[laugh2][rofl]

Agreed! All they did was grab some 55 gallon drums, paint them bright yellow, slap on some stickers and fill it up with ammo. The price is certainly not any savings and when combined with the cost of shipping, it's a foolish purchase.
Not even 55 gallon they are stubby barrels more like a short fat 30g can?
Anyway just a few years ago CTD was pushing these at the great price of $5800 a drum.
Called the gent who did our group by and we paid 25cents shipped for 3 pallets loaded 4 to a pallet. I have no idea where they where bought from. It was all NATO. Stamped and looked really nice vs other “XM” variants we have purchased. IIRC these drums are sent to other facilities to be loaded on to clips and bando’s into the ammo cans.?

It was all NATO.
Did the ammo have the NATO compliance headstamp? (the circle around a +)

Two_223_Headstamps.jpg

I am all about buying in bulk, but I'm not seeing enough benefit (financially or practically) to diving into this deal....

Did the ammo have the NATO compliance headstamp? (the circle around a +)

Two_223_Headstamps.jpg
As far as I could tell of the 3 cans opened when I picked up my 4K rounds it was all Nato stamped sealed , crimped and looked very nice , unlike other bulk XM that has multi colored brass, bullets, primers , crooked bullets and dented cases
I don’t recall the Federal stickers on the drums we got other than the M855BAR sticker

That my friends would without a doubt in my mind piss off the range Nazis, when I backed up to the shooting bench at my range with that in the back of my truck!!!! Ok now I might have to just paint a barrel and slap on some stickers just to F**k with them!

Make sure one big sticker is marked XTRA KILLY!!!

TS USA week end ammo sale is showing .28 for XM855, on stripper clips, in a new can, after rebate with free shipping. $119.00 gets you started. No major back pain required. If you go bulk box it's only .25 a round. Love the idea of a drum but not at that price.

From Massachusetts Ammo and Component Storage Regulations - MassReloading

MA Ammo and Component Storage Regulations

A Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There's a twist... Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as:

"cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun"

In other words, you must have a firearms license to even possess an ammunition component.

As hard as this is to believe, the Commonwealth also regulates the quantity of ammunition and components that you may store in your home. 527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE regulates the amount of ammunition and components you are allowed to possess.

Without a special permit, you can store:
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition
  • Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition
  • Up to (but less than) 16 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Up to (but less than) 2 pounds of black powder
527 CMR 1.00 also stipulates that an ammunition storage permit can be obtained from the head of the local fire department.

With a storage permit, you can store:
  • Up to 30,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition*
  • Not more than 47 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Not more than 5 pounds of black powder
* Total of all ammunition cannot exceed 100,000 rounds

Here's a tip: Before you make a trip to the local fire department to get an ammo storage permit, download a copy of 527 CMR 1.00 and print pages 49 and 50. It's possible that the fire chief may not be familiar with it.
Yeah, f*** that place.

lol those aint 55 gallon not even close.

Meh. Not a good price and would be better if it was XM193.
Also what a pain in the ass to store or move around. I mean if one showed up at my doorstep I would be stoked, but otherwise: hard pass.

You can keep the drum, box, cans, or whatever, I’ll take mine naked, and by the yard. I’ll throw out a tarp in the driveway, you just dump the goods and I’ll worry about getting it put away.

Should be able to bring the cpr right down like that, plus, as an added bonus, you could swim around in it first like Scrooge McDuck!

Back
Top Bottom