• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tired of the ammo shortage? Learn to reload.

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
As ObamaScare II enters it's 8th month, ammo is still hard to find.

While components are also in short supply, they're not nearly as hard to find as loaded ammo. Since November, I've been able to obtain components and make 1000's of rounds of .223, 9mm, and .45 ACP (among other calibers).

If any of you would like to learn how to reload, I'm doing two courses the weekend of August 3&4 - one for beginners, and a more advanced Precision Rifle Reloading course intended for shooters that have either taken the basic class or have some prior reloading experience.

Here is some more information: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...end-extravaganza-blue-northern-8-3-8-4-a.html

You can take the basic class for $90, the Precision Rifle class for $70, or both for $150.

My guarantee is, as always: If you feel that the class wasn't worth it, I'll refund your money on the spot.

Totally recommend this course. If you are going to reload, take this course or some kind of training first. Also, make sure to tell EC that you plan to reload .500, he'll do a little dance in front of the entire class. Really entertaining.

I need more primers I only have 20,000. 5,000 of each type.

But I do recommend reloading, not just to have ammo, but you can determine the amount of recoil you want. I often shoot 30.06 cast bullets behind 15 grains of Trailboss, the recoil is comparable to a .357 in a rifle, not much. And my 45-70 the same way

I took the basic course last month at GOAL. It was a great course. Do yourself a favor--when EC asks if anyone plans to reload any special round, don't respond with .40S&W! [wink]

I have been on a quest to get equipment and components since completing the course. I will finally be reloading Saturday after the UPS truck arrives.[thumbsup]

Took the coarse last month and am still slowly buying the needed items to get started.

EC was a great instructor and knows his stuff. Well worth the time and money!

I have heard great things about this course and really want to do this. Alas, can't right now. Maybe in the Fall.

I took the class at GOAL last month, great class! I didn't want to buy any reloading equipment until after I took the class, I'm glad I waited. Changed my whole direction on equipment I thought I needed, to what I really need. The class saved me from spending hundreds of dollars on equipment that I would not have used.
It was great to get the knowledge and hands-on experience of using the equipment. And to top it off, Jim's a funny guy too! [laugh]

Thank's Jim!

Last edited:
Tired of ammo shortage? Reloading is not the answer. Reloading is basically at a standstill as well. Primers were virtually non existent for a year and powder is still extremely hard to find, not to mention brass and extreme delays in getting bullets. I was in a huge gun store in VA while vacationing down there. They had 2 cans of powder on the shelf, both for 50BMG. Even though I reload I had to cut my shooting down from 1000 to 100 rnds a month. Can't wait for this nonsense to end. But, the reloading course sounds great, anyone know if there is anything like that in NH?

reloading is a great option and I have several friends that do it. my question is however, I know of some gun companies that say the warranty is voided if you use reloads but how would they know if you use them?

Tired of ammo shortage? Reloading is not the answer. Reloading is basically at a standstill as well. Primers were virtually non existent for a year and powder is still extremely hard to find, not to mention brass and extreme delays in getting bullets. I was in a huge gun store in VA while vacationing down there. They had 2 cans of powder on the shelf, both for 50BMG. Even though I reload I had to cut my shooting down from 1000 to 100 rnds a month. Can't wait for this nonsense to end. But, the reloading course sounds great, anyone know if there is anything like that in NH?

I've had very little problem finding primers or powder. The hardest thing to find is the bullets ... not impossible but a long lead time to order, but they are starting to become readily available now. I reload .40 S&W and have tons of brass available.

It seems interesting we each can't find certain components. Trying to load 308, I found primers, projectiles, and turn factory loads into brass. But no powder for ages.

My sources have bullets, primers and powder in stock right now. It's not back to pre-panic levels yet, but stuff is available if you know where to look.

Component scarcity is not a reason to postpone reloading.

Unfortunately 9mm is the most popular so bullets and brass are scarce and when you do find them, the prices are at gouge levels. Luckily, I bought 15,000 SPP shortly after Newtown, before the craze and before those prices were jacked up. If anyone knows anywhere to find AA5 powder, that's my favorite, but have had to use WP231.

I've been saving all of my brass for reloading, but still haven't gotten into it. This ammo shortage is definately regional, though. I was out in Minnesota over the week of the 4th and there was tons of scary assault ammo. .223, 5.56, 5.45, .308/7.62... I stocked up for all my toys.

Last edited:
There are a several spots left in the Basic class, and one or two still open in the Precision Rifle class.

If you're interested, reserve a seat now by calling Blue Northern at 978-772-6779

Back
Top Bottom