• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tired of hand trimming!

Just began the long painstaking process of resizing all of my .223/5.56 brass, and realized I hate hand trimming. I am using a lyman acutrim hand trimmer, and going batsh*t crazy trying to get all of this brass set. I would like to upgrade to a electric trimmer of some sort, and wanted to see what the concensus of the group was. I know everyone speaks very highly of the Giraud trimmer, and I see hornady has an electric case prep center. I also recently watched a video on youtube of the dillon rt1200 trimmer which can be mounted to the lnl press. Of those three which would you recomend? And y?

Giraud because everyone that gets one speaks so highly. Its the trimmer to get if your serious about getting one and not having to ever deal with that question again.

Based on general understanding from reloaders, the Giraud is the ultimate. It is fast, and accurate, and chamfers the inside and outside of the case.

The DIllon press mounted is popular, with a casefeeder is really fast, but you still have to chamfer another way.

There's another option fo less money .Little crow gun works makes a trimmer that uses a cordless drill ,you feed the case into the trimmer and it locates on the case shoulder.each trimmer is made for different calibers .It works good and is fast http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Still need to chamfer and deburr though. I believe the Giraud is the only one step case trimmer (EddieCoyle has one so he can attest a yeah or nay).

Still need to chamfer and deburr though. I believe the Giraud is the only one step case trimmer (EddieCoyle has one so he can attest a yeah or nay).

I have one and it does chamfer and deburr as well as trim in a single pass..... Also very quick/easy to change over to trim other calibers.....

Get a Giraud.

Seriously, stop looking around, bite the bullet and get one. Trims and chamfers inside and outside at once in 1-2 seconds while holding the shell in your hand. Will trim to ±.001" all day even on mixed batches of headstamps.

Gracey trimmers do all of that as well. The Giraud is undeniably a more refined tool, though; setting up the Gracey cutters can be fussy. Once it's set up, though, it'll crank right along, and I'm only using it for .223 at this point so don't really need to touch the setup.

Gracey trimmers do all of that as well. The Giraud is undeniably a more refined tool, though; setting up the Gracey cutters can be fussy. Once it's set up, though, it'll crank right along, and I'm only using it for .223 at this point so don't really need to touch the setup.

The Gracey unit looks nice.. Still don't understand why they should cost so much. A motor attached to a multi cutter head should run $180.00 or so (The Giraud appears to be more substantial).

I lusted over a Giraud for years before finally pulling the trigger. I sold a handgun and bought the Giraud with that money. I honestly think it was a hell of a deal for me atleast. The hours saved and the pain and frustration saved makes it a no brainer IMO. You won't regret it. If you do, there are people who'd buy it from you in a heartbeat for damn near what you paid for it. If his wait is 8 weeks or more, which it has been, you could probably sell it for what you paid!

The Giraud is awesome. I've heard good things about the Gracie and the Possum Hollow. I've never used either of those though.

I was about to order the Little Crow WFT, but it's nearly 3x the price of the Possum Hollow and you still have to deburr. I keep going back and forth on what to get...

Currently .223 is all I trim by the thousands and I use a forster with a power drill, so it ran about 100 for the setup. I can process about 800 an hour once I get in a rhythm. Never bothered to chamfer my blasting ammo.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

There is probably a wait on delivery. They're a small shop.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I have been using an RCBS power trimmer for quite a while with great success. Just preset the desired OAL, place the case in the holder, and release the spring loaded trimmer. The machine automatically starts and trims, deburrs, and chamfers.

During my reloading classes, I show students the various ways to trim, and have samples of most of the trimmer tools, and have tried them all.

The slowest and most awkward are the Lee trimmer sets.

The Possum Hollow trimmer has a downfall: The carbon fiber nose piece gets trashed by the brass after a while, and has to get replaced.

The Little Crow Trimmer is pretty damned good! Gear Review: ?World?s Finest Trimmer? within AccurateShooter.com
It's much better than the Possum Hollow.

The Gracey (which I do NOT have) was good in it's day, but has been eclipsed by Giraud. Over priced. And, there's a reason why Giraud makes a adapter kit for changing the Gracey over to a semi-Giraud.

The Giraud is the way to go for high volume trimming.

Back
Top Bottom