• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tired Anti Myths

Hi All: I am working, once more, on a article about 2A rights, specifically, the traditional "anti baloney" and I would love some help coming up with all the standard BS they throw around, as well as you're favorite applicable response. (yes, I'll credit you and send you a copy if you like)

Here's a an example to start the list.

1. You're more likely to get shot by your own weapon than you are to use it successfully in a self defense situation.

A. No, YOU, with no training, no confidence, no weapon, and no proper defensive mindset, are more likely to have the weapon turned against you. I have taken steps (described above) to prevent that from happening. Additionally, those statistics include suicides which account for more than 50% of annual firearms deaths. Ipso facto, they are misleading and undermine the premise of your argument.

Ok...that's a simple example. Go to it and thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hi All: I am working, once more, on a article about 2A rights, specifically, the traditional "anti baloney" and I would love some help coming up with all the standard BS they throw around, as well as you're favorite applicable response. (yes, I'll credit you and send you a copy if you like)

Here's a an example to start the list.

1. You're more likely to get shot by your own weapon than you are to use it successfully in a self defense situation.

A. No, YOU, with no training, no confidence, no weapon, and no proper defensive mindset, are more likely to have the weapon turned against you. I have taken steps (described above) to prevent that from happening. Additionally, those statistics include suicides which account for more than 50% of annual firearms deaths. Ipso facto, they are misleading and undermine the premise of your argument.

Ok...that's a simply example. Go to it and thanks for your help.

I would provide links to stats. Without them, it's he said she said hearsay.

I would provide links to stats. Without them, it's he said she said hearsay.

Indeed. That's the second part of writing these screeds. After compiling the list I have to then go verify and source each statistic. If you can cite in your answers that's great (less work for me). If you can't I'll do it myself before the writing phase.

You carry a gun? What are you afraid of?

Only the police and military should have guns. Police and Military never commit crimes of violence.

Why would anyone need a gun with more than 6 shots?

If you carry a gun, you're looking for trouble.

People who use guns are bitter and cling to the guns and religion.

If we took away all the guns, violence would stop. The criminals wouldn't have guns to shoot people with.

People would be better off learning Martial Arts to defend themselves. A 110 pound woman who knows Karate is safer than a 110 pound woman with a Smith & Wesson in her pocket.

Why send criminals to jail. They have had a bad childhood and are very misunderstood.

IF people have guns readily available, it will be like the old west with killings in the street every day. (unlike now in Mass, where they are not available and there are killings in the streets every day.)

Push for more gun free zones. It's safer there.

(my first cup of coffee hasn't kicked in yet, I'll be back with more)

Indeed. That's the second part of writing these screeds. After compiling the list I have to then go verify and source each statistic. If you can cite in your answers that's great (less work for me). If you can't I'll do it myself before the writing phase.

Yeah, just some guidance for those that post to at least have some weight behind the claims.

The one the frustrates me the most: "We have to keep our children from being exposed to guns at all costs. If you teach them about guns, it will make them unsafe." I don't know when it happened, but somehow shooting with your kids has become tantamount to child abuse.

Good point. I spend a lot of time sourcing and verifying facts so it's not a big thing to track them down (generally speaking) OTOH, a lot of the statements made (on both sides) are statistical fantasy, so it's pretty easy to edit those as well. Obviously anything about Yamamoto and snipers behind every blade of grass etc...will be tossed right out of the gate.

The one that gets me p.o.ed is:

Guns = crime followed by whatever the statistic-o-meter spits out. Guns may be tools used in crime, but guns do not cause crime. MFers cause crime.

Many variations... guns = violent crime, guns = domestic crime, yadda yadda, thing thing

It's a bogus claim because there's no way to make an accurate comparison:

The CDC tracks gun deaths and injuries, which when someone is shot and goes to the hospital a report is taken. So, that's how you can calculate the number of injuries. Anyone NOT reporting to a hospital after being shot may not contribute to the statistic, but that number is probably pretty small. How does one calculate the number of times a firearm was used for self defense? [crickets] There is NO way to calculate this number. I'm sure people have a lot of theories but there are no reality based statistics. How about a police officer that goes his whole career without ever firing a shot. Did the gun not protect him? Obviously it most likely did because the firearm would discourage many people from doing him harm even if he never drew it from the holster. How many times was that firearm used for protection? Infinitely maybe?

More:

This gun is safe because it has a safety. Or contrarily, this gun is NOT safe because it lacks a safety switch.

The Second Amendment applies only to the military [smile]

You can buy an AK47--the same gun used by terrorist all over the world--in any US city for $250.

Once we get guns off the street the crime will stop

The police have some mystical power that makes them superhuman and capable of handling firearms whereas mere citizens are inherently inept and couldn't possibly master a firearm without the years of government training the police receive

Restricting licensing and more gun laws will reduce the number of criminals that use guns

Last edited:
Oh, my neighborhood is very safe! Nothing like that *ever* happens here!

Requiring guns to be registered and bullets to be microstamped will easily allow law enforcement to track those who commit crimes.

http://www.gunfacts.info/

INTRODUCTION: Gun Facts is a free e-book that debunks common myths about gun control. It is intended as a reference guide for journalists, activists, politicians, and other people interested in restoring honesty to the debate about guns, crime, and the 2nd Amendment.

Gun Facts has 94 pages of information. Divided into chapters based on gun control topics (assault weapons, ballistic finger printing, firearm availability, etc.), finding information is quick and easy.

Each chapter lists common gun control myths, then lists a number of documented and cited facts (with over 480 detailed footnotes) that directly dispute the gun control claim. Thus when a neighbor, editor or politician repeats some slogan propagated by the gun control industry, you can quickly find that myth then rebuke with real information.

http://www.gunfacts.info/

INTRODUCTION: Gun Facts is a free e-book that debunks common myths about gun control. It is intended as a reference guide for journalists, activists, politicians, and other people interested in restoring honesty to the debate about guns, crime, and the 2nd Amendment.

Gun Facts has 94 pages of information. Divided into chapters based on gun control topics (assault weapons, ballistic finger printing, firearm availability, etc.), finding information is quick and easy.

Each chapter lists common gun control myths, then lists a number of documented and cited facts (with over 480 detailed footnotes) that directly dispute the gun control claim. Thus when a neighbor, editor or politician repeats some slogan propagated by the gun control industry, you can quickly find that myth then rebuke with real information.

There is a 5.0 version now of Gun Facts with over a hundred pages I believe.

There was an empirical example, I believe, from he book Freakonomics that compared the dangerousness of homes with guns vs. homes with swimming pools. The actual evidence indicated that a child was about100 times more likely to die in a home swimming pool as opposed to a gun accident in the home. However, home drownings are merely sad, tragic and easily accepted accidents whereas the much less common home firearm accident generates a disproportionate degree of outrage.

Raoul Duke, excellent thread.

----

You are paranoid if you think you need to carry a gun with you everywhere.

Guns are responsible for xxxx% of all homocides.

Homes with guns are the homes in which the bearer is more likely to use the firearm against a partner in a domestic dispute.

Guns should be heavily regulated so that we can safeguard our children and our communities.

Hunters are not gun owners.

People with guns are just pretending to be police officers.

Children exposed to guns turn out to be killers.

Back
Top Bottom