• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tips on getting unrestricted LTC in boston?

Ive had an LTC in boston for a number of years now and with every renewal they just keep giving me target / hunting restrictions. No CCW.
Brief discussions with someone in the licensing division seem to indicate they only give CCW to people who have a business or work for one transporting money / goods and such.
I know boston gives them the legal authority to do that, but it doesnt seem very giving an unrestricted permit to the guy with money and a business than anyone else.
There are paperwork reporting criteria for a business owner which I cant meet by just setting up an LLC. You need to demonstrate revenue and such.
Someone suggested to me awhile back trying to get firearms instructor certs in the hopes that sways their decision somehow. Probably more money than I can spare right now.
Aside from getting a brief stint with a security company or armored money transport, any other ideas on a way to get boston to remove restrictions?
Have any lawyers had any luck with this on an individual basis and how much time did they require to do so?

Lawyer up! A license to carry a firearm legally is a right. And should not go thru a application process , Which it does I know, unfortunately

Could always make a large donation to Wu, I'm sure her friends that want to carry have unrestricted, or become a cop. All animals are equal, some are just more equal.

A buddy is a Lieutenant on the Boston Fire Department and lives in Boston. He's an Army veteran with two tours overseas. He's a college graduate with a clean record. He works in a very tough neighborhood in Boston, often traveling at night.

He could not get a CCW in Boston. The fella in charge of licensing at the BPD told him the only way to get a CCW was to sue him.

That's what you're dealing with. It is so wrong.

1. MSP instructors cert
2. become a doctor/nurse with a prescription pad, lawyer, or business owner that can prove 15k+ a month in cash deposits or precious stones/metals handling, or prove employment with local/state/federal law enforcement.
3. victim of a violent crime/active R.O. against a violent felon

If you don't fit into those 3 boxes your only other option is to move.

Ive had an LTC in boston for a number of years now and with every renewal they just keep giving me target / hunting restrictions. No CCW.
Brief discussions with someone in the licensing division seem to indicate they only give CCW to people who have a business or work for one transporting money / goods and such.
I know boston gives them the legal authority to do that, but it doesnt seem very giving an unrestricted permit to the guy with money and a business than anyone else.
There are paperwork reporting criteria for a business owner which I cant meet by just setting up an LLC. You need to demonstrate revenue and such.
Someone suggested to me awhile back trying to get firearms instructor certs in the hopes that sways their decision somehow. Probably more money than I can spare right now.
Aside from getting a brief stint with a security company or armored money transport, any other ideas on a way to get boston to remove restrictions?
Have any lawyers had any luck with this on an individual basis and how much time did they require to do so?
What exactly does “target/hunting restrictions” mean? Is it documented anywhere?

1. MSP instructors cert
2. become a doctor/nurse with a prescription pad, lawyer, or business owner that can prove 15k+ a month in cash deposits or precious stones/metals handling, or prove employment with local/state/federal law enforcement.

I recall reading here that Boston was unrestricted normal folks as of a while ago. I don't have any further info on what they are doing, but an inquiry to Comm2A might put some light on that subject.
What exactly does “target/hunting restrictions” mean? Is it documented anywhere?
It literally means whatever the chief in a town that issued the LTC wants it to mean. So short of having something in writing with "their definition" it isn't safe to carry on a restricted LTC anywhere except your own property or a range.

My daughter moved from Hopkinton to Boston and they did not restrict her in Boston. This probably can't help you but as I recall from my short time behind the enemy lines you can apply in the town you work in, any chance that's a better town?

Last edited:
My daughter moved from Hopkinton to Boston and they did not restrict her in Boston. This probably can't help you but as I recall from my short time behind the enemy lines you can apply in the town you work n, any chance that's a better town?
From what I’ve read, Boston is unlikely to downgrade on renewal. I believe that’s limited to places like Brookline.

My daughter moved from Hopkinton to Boston and they did not restrict her in Boston. This probably can't help you but as I recall from my short time behind the enemy lines you can apply in the town you work in, any chance that's a better town?
You can apply in a town where you own a business, if they'll accept your application.

My daughter moved from Hopkinton to Boston and they did not restrict her in Boston. This probably can't help you but as I recall from my short time behind the enemy lines you can apply in the town you work own a business in, any chance that's a better town?
FTFY.[angry] (As @Mesatchornug implied).

1. MSP instructors cert

Could you not move to another town, get your FID, then move back?

You can apply in a town where you own a business, if they'll accept your application.
Was not aware this was possible? can anyone confirm?
I could always register an LLC elsewhere and do it that way I guess. Still cheaper to do the instructors' cert and lots more useful than an LLC in some random town.

I could always register an LLC elsewhere and do it that way I guess. Still cheaper to do the instructors' cert and lots more useful than an LLC in some random town.
The last I heard, plenty of green town licensing officers won't suck for that,
and plenty of those that do demand a more tangible "business" than some LLC registration.

ETA: I don't recall ever seeing someone posting on NES,
"psst...apply for a business LTC/ALP from Podunk -
they totally suck for nothing more than corporation papers".

So either the first rule of Paper Corporation LTC Club
is "Don't Talk About Paper Corporation LTC Club",
or no licensing officers play that game.

1. MSP instructors cert

Yes and "move" can also be - Town-hack them for the first license, they don't downgrade on move in renewals iirc anymore.....

and plenty of those that do demand a more tangible "business" than some LLC registration.

The towns that do this will often want a lease, tax bill etc something that shows physical business presence

What Mike said, also

An LLC costs 500 in MA. Instructor cert is about 300...

Your rights are not cheap in Boston,you have to pay for them comrade.
Going the Firearms Instructors route is going to be the cheapest.

Your rights are not cheap in Boston,you have to pay for them comrade.
Going the Firearms Instructors route is going to be the cheapest.
Get a cheap apartment in the burbs, get a few utility bills, get LTC, register move to Boston.

No?

Last edited:
"Town hack" to dump residency for a month or two would be even better but more expensive unless you have facilities for that.

Back
Top Bottom