Tips on Applying for LTC-Important Info

Hopefully somebody finds this question and can provide some insight.

I was just told that an LTC application was refused (note: NOT DENIED) in a local town because the MA BFS certificate was 3 years old and that they expire in 2 years. Can anybody point me to the law that (a) specifies this condition or (b) gives the PD the right to impose this condition?

FYI. I am not trying to complain. I'm trying to gather information. THe town in question is a green town and the COP and firearms officers have ALWAYS been very accommodating.

Note : this town requires re-certification courses every 6 years for renewals but it clearly specifies that condition on it's website. The "within 2 years requirement" is not documented anywhere.

MGL gives chiefs unfettered "discretion" on "suitability", both terms are in MGL. Therefore they can get away with just about anything and judges will go along with them.

There is currently no law wrt expiration of BFS certificates, but some towns set arbitrary limits on them and even which ones they will or won't accept.

I was just told that an LTC application was refused (note: NOT DENIED) in a local town because the MA BFS certificate was 3 years old and that they expire in 2 years. Can anybody point me to the law that (a) specifies this condition or (b) gives the PD the right to impose this condition?

FYI. I am not trying to complain. I'm trying to gather information. THe town in question is a green town and the COP and firearms officers have ALWAYS been very accommodating.

Note : this town requires re-certification courses every 6 years for renewals but it clearly specifies that condition on it's website. The "within 2 years requirement" is not documented anywhere.

Sounds like a load of BS. Mine was almost 3 years old in Boston and they didn't care at all. Should be uniform across all of Massachusetts not on how the PD feels about it. But that's common sense.

By statute, Mass-given Hunter Ed courses are acceptable for FID/LTC issuance. There are towns that do not accept them. Even though it's the law.

Len is dead-nuts on.

Your valiant and courageous course of action is to fight it!

Your pragmatic course of action is to take a course that will satisfy the martinet that's making up sh!t, because they can, and get the LTC.

It's your choice. This is reality in the PRM. At least you don't have to write an essay......[rolleyes]

If this person really wants to make a stink, they should try to insist that their PD at least accept and process the application even if it ends up in a denial. You have every right to have your application processed. You can't really do much about this situation until yous start there.

Going for a class A LTC renewal in my town (Chelmsford). What looks like a new section entitled Reasons for requesting the issuance of a card or license lists: target & hunting, sporting, employment, or Unrestricted. The Unrestricted directs you to use the lines below to indicate the reasons you are requesting an unrestricted LTC. I don't remember this being required before. Does anyone know if that is a standard question on the application form?

I was always told to put down: For all lawful purposes as the reason. Is this still the right response?

Last edited:
Going for a class A LTC renewal in my town (Chelmsford). What looks like a new section entitled Reasons for requesting the issuance of a card or license lists: target & hunting, sporting, employment, or Unrestricted. The Unrestricted directs you to use the lines below to indicate the reasons you are requesting an unrestricted LTC. I don't remember this being required before. Does anyone know if that is a standard question on the application form?

I was always told to put down: For all lawful purposes as the reason. Is this still the right response?

You would be correct, if that's what you want. I think most of the MA applicants write in the same.

On another note, I hope you don't put this lady down as a reference, just in case they decide to contact her. [lol] (I saw your name and it made me think of this:

http://youtu.be/cZpIplHtTnU

You would be correct, if that's what you want. I think most of the MA applicants write in the same.

On another note, I hope you don't put this lady down as a reference, just in case they decide to contact her. [lol] (I saw your name and it made me think of this:

View: http://youtu.be/cZpIplHtTnU

Surely the crack whore and Mikie can come to an "agreement".

Continuing on this line of questioning, The form says Reason(s) for requesting. So am i better off checking all except Employment, or just check Unrestricted? I currently have an unrestricted license and a town that was historically not a problem. However this renewal cycle i am seeing they added a bunch of stuff including a letter to the COP explaining why you need an unrestricted license (luckily only for new applicants)
upload_2018-7-31_7-23-15.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you keep the same PIN when you renew your LTC?
I’m kinda in a stupid situation where I have the letter with my PIN, no date on it of course and I cant figure out if this letter is old or new, and I have only one letter.
I did write my PIN down a few years ago and it is the same.

New Problem,,,, Does the reference person have to live in your hometown ?? One of my references just dropped out on me when i took him the app to sign so now i'm screwed for a while again....:mad:

Georgetown Ma. I'm sry i didn't mean to imply literally sign it, i meant fill out the reference part but i was typing too fast and not too happy, could have gotten this done today..

Georgetown Ma. I'm sry i didn't mean to imply literally sign it, i meant fill out the reference part but i was typing too fast and not too happy, could have gotten this done today..
MGL merely requires that you put down the name, etc. Get the person's permission and done. It is very rare for a PD to even contact a reference. Some PDs put other obstacles in the way like Notary, must be from same town, must know person minimum of x years, etc. but none of that is in accordance with MGLs.

Thank you Sir,, i was going to contact you, but you beat me to it.....:) Now i have to find a new pro 2A'er. The other guy flipped sides and went Dimtard on me in public a couple of hours ago... Paul.

Crazy applications process here coming from the midwest. I was able to get a LTC-A unrestricted in a red town, between the scheduling of the class and interview, etc I would estimate a casual 7-9 month process, worth it in the end but amazing nonetheless!

Hi everyone. I applied for an LTC-A unrestricted in Quincy MA, I got fingerprinted on Aug 5, I was told it would take 2 months for it to come through and if there was a problem I would find out before then. It's now been almost 10 weeks but I haven't heard anything. Am I supposed to get something in the mail? Can't contact the licensing officer at all, the number just keeps going to voicemail and with COVID they won't let me go in to see them. I'm sure they're busy because of the pandemic but any ideas on how or who I can follow up or am I out of luck?

Hi everyone. I applied for an LTC-A unrestricted in Quincy MA, I got fingerprinted on Aug 5, I was told it would take 2 months for it to come through and if there was a problem I would find out before then. It's now been almost 10 weeks but I haven't heard anything. Am I supposed to get something in the mail? Can't contact the licensing officer at all, the number just keeps going to voicemail and with COVID they won't let me go in to see them. I'm sure they're busy because of the pandemic but any ideas on how or who I can follow up or am I out of luck?

Hurry up and wait, since there is no enforcement of the time limit to issue or deny in MA, thay can do as they damn please, and often do.

Call the Firearms PIN and License Status Hotline at (617) 660-4722. They'll tell you where in the process it is*.

* For me, it took 1 month between it being approved/printed and the local PD getting it. They bundle the licenses they mail back to save on postage or something. My local PD said mine came in a pack of ~100 so how long it takes depends on where you are in that pile. [bs]

Thanks for the advice and for that hotline. I called it and apparently my application is still with the Quincy PD waiting for background checks so it hasn't even gotten to the state for approval yet. So I'm guessing it would be at least another month or two if not more, especially with Covid. I'm sure with the election coming up the volume of applications they have has probably increased but does 4+ months seem overly long? I'm a business owner, I've never been in trouble with the law, never even got a speeding ticket, and I can't imagine anything that would be an issue with my application. This is my first time applying for an LTC so I have no idea how long the process takes from application and fingerprinting, but from reading this thread it seems like most people got their applications approved in much less time - other than the guy just above that said it took him 9 months. I hope mine doesn't take that long! :(

Thanks for the advice and for that hotline. I called it and apparently my application is still with the Quincy PD waiting for someone to get around to running background checks so it hasn't even gotten to the state for approval yet. So I'm guessing it would be at least another month or two if not more, especially with Covid. I'm sure with the election coming up the volume of applications they have has probably increased but does 4+ months seem overly long? I'm a business owner, I've never been in trouble with the law, never even got a speeding ticket, and I can't imagine anything that would be an issue with my application other than ergophobia. This is my first time applying for an LTC so I have no idea how long the process takes from application and fingerprinting, but from reading this thread it seems like most people got their applications approved in much less time - other than the guy just above that said it took him 9 months. I hope mine doesn't take that long! :(
FIFY

Friend,
FPC has another urgent request for our Massachusetts and Maryland members who want to be able to get a Concealed Carry Permit (or License to Carry) but can not due to burdensome state laws! We are seeking to speak with individuals who have applied for and were denied a CCP in the last eighteen months.

If you or anyone you know, has applied for a CCP/LTC on or after April 2019 and have been denied, we want to hear from you immediately. Please fill out our hotline form at 2Ahotline.com and be sure to mention that you have applied and were denied. We also ask that you forward this email to any of your friends who might meet this criteria.

Great to join on here after lurking for a while—the amount of info on here is incredible!
After searching through the forums I decided to revive this thread—my apologies if it is the wrong place.

I’m in the process of obtaining my LTC, however the app was held as Hunters Education would not be allowed and I needed a separate course. The reasoning was MA 515 CMR 3.05 as a reference, not a town bylaw or requirement.

If I need to do the additional course, that’s fine, but if not how do I address this in a way that does not raise an issue?

Great to join on here after lurking for a while—the amount of info on here is incredible!
After searching through the forums I decided to revive this thread—my apologies if it is the wrong place.

I’m in the process of obtaining my LTC, however the app was held as Hunters Education would not be allowed and I needed a separate course. The reasoning was MA 515 CMR 3.05 as a reference, not a town bylaw or requirement.

If I need to do the additional course, that’s fine, but if not how do I address this in a way that does not raise an issue?
What town

Back
Top Bottom