Tips for the first time hunter

Going grouse hunting in northern NH in a few weeks. There are a few other experienced guys going who will be showing me the ropes. I wanted to see if I could get any pointers in advance that would be helpful.
I've been practicing at the range since that is the key piece of "experience" they can't share with me.

Go with a good dog. Otherwise it is mostly an armed hike.

Also, chances are very high that you won't even be able to shoulder your gun before they are out of range. They EXPLODE from cover and really get going in a hurry. It takes quite awhile to get used to that.

Don't shoot your partner

+1. Safe Gun handling. In my experience, as long as you practice that, you will have a good time hunting, no matter how many birds or animals you shoot or don't shoot.

Also, avoid me, since animals (especially turkey and deer) tend to maintain about 5 mile radius from me. [thinking]

Go online to find some education materials. There are additional safety need beyond normal firearm handling safety, including preventing falls, tripped, how to crossing fences/obstructions safely with firearms, and surviving needs - just in case.

Often birds will stay put in cover if you keep on moving by them. Pause for a few seconds after every 15 paces or so, and one may just surprise you.

Don't shoot your partner
Or the dog.
I think the biggest compliment I ever got was while pheasant hunting with a friend and his dog. A bird flushed and flew horizontal at about 5'. My friend was yelling SHOOT, but I would have had to shoot right over his dog. I didn't shoot. It was just too close to his dog for me.
Now, if I were Dick Cheney, and the dog were a lawyer....

Much less effort for me to go and buy the grouse already dressed at a specialty store, then take it to the range and hit it with a round of bird shot and go home to clean and cook it. I get the experience of picking bird shot out of the meat before cooking, with none of the ticks!

...All kidding aside, what others have said: don't shoot anything but the prey animal, watch what's behind your target... And a HUGE thing: spray the hell out of your jeans and boots with some really good tick repellant. There's some seriously nasty crap going around on ticks right now, might want to avoid it as best you can.

Note that bird hunting is MUCH more dangerous than hunting animals that don't fly. This is mainly because you are swinging the gun and focused on the target and not so much on your surroundings.
This data is from Nebraska, but the stats are pretty much the same everywhere.
NEHuntingstats.jpg

BTW, I really wonder what the weapons were in the 15 "Other" incidents.[thinking]

Note that bird hunting is MUCH more dangerous than hunting animals that don't fly. This is mainly because you are swinging the gun and focused on the target and not so much on your surroundings.
NEHuntingstats.jpg

BTW, I really wonder what the weapons were in the 15 "Other" incidents.[thinking]

Falling out of treestands?

Even if you don't get anything, it still beats working. Enjoy your first hunt. I have been Pheasant hunting for 20 yrs now and I still get excited and have trouble sleeping the night before opening day.

When I first introduced my wife to grouse hunting, she is from a non-hunting family, every time a grouse would flush she would scream as it scared the crap out of her. [laugh]

Buy good boots and break them in well before you are planning to go.

Bob

NEHuntingstats.jpg

Atlatls? [rofl]

Don't shoot your partner

This in every way. They fly quick and fast. It is really easy to come off safety and try and hammer one. Snap shots are what it is but snap shots with caution. Always know where everyone is and make sure your muzzle is never even close to that direction.

Back
Top Bottom