• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tips for shooting trap with over/under

Did a quick search, hope this isnt a dupe but hoping somebody can give me some pointers...

Got into trap shooting this past summer and love it. I'm shooting singles and doing pretty well for a beginner. I started using a Remington 1100 w/full choke but have now moved on to a Mossberg Silver Reserve II Super Sport with 32" barrels and came with 5 chokes.
Mossberg.jpg http://www.mossberg.com/product/sho...g-international-silver-reserve-ii-sporting--3

My questions are:

Which barrel should I shoot from first whether its singles or doubles?
Which chokes should I use on each barrel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you got any other tips I'll take em

Attachments

• Mossberg.png
    Mossberg.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
My questions are:

Which barrel should I shoot from first whether its singles or doubles?
Which chokes should I use on each barrel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most guys I know shoot the bottom barrel first. As for which chokes, you should get yourself to a patterning board or build one yourself and check out the 1100 and compare it to the Mossberg. Each of these guns will pattern different. Good luck

Why did ya quit with the 1100? Just asking cause I just replaced my 870 with an 1100 for trap. And I'm a beginner too. The 870 was beating me up.
JD

Why did ya quit with the 1100? Just asking cause I just replaced my 870 with an 1100 for trap. And I'm a beginner too. The 870 was beating me up.
JD

I feel like the semi auto was an overkill shooting singles, and all the season vets were shooting o/u...plus when I saw the Mossberg and the price (compared to the very expensive Berettas) I took a chance on it

Ahhh....the jone's syndrome[smile] Most of the guys at my range shoot O/U's too but they all told me that unless I wanted to spend big bucks, that they have more felt recoil than an 1100. I've only got 3 rounds thru the 1100, but I think I'll like it once I get it fitted up and patterned. Felt like the wife's 870 20 ga. Good luck with your Mossy!
JD

The best gun is the one that fits you, physically and mentally.

If you shoot an O/U, pattern it (both barrels, with an assortment of chokes) to see how the barrels are regulated (meaning do they have the same point of impact at a given yardage). Choke A in the top barrel may have a different POI than in the bottom barrel, for instance.

Which barrel? Most shooters with O/Us go bottom first, but it's a personal decision. Just be consistent.

I understand that peer pressure is a powerful force, but don't switch from something that works for you because others are using something different. My kid uses an 870; I use either an A5 or a S&W semi auto. My misses are not the fault of the guns.

Bottom line, do what works best for you.

Oh, and the GOAL Cup Trap shoot is coming up in April at Southborough Rod & Gun Club, and more info will follow. Come on out!

Ahhh....the jone's syndrome[smile] Most of the guys at my range shoot O/U's too but they all told me that unless I wanted to spend big bucks, that they have more felt recoil than an 1100. I've only got 3 rounds thru the 1100, but I think I'll like it once I get it fitted up and patterned. Felt like the wife's 870 20 ga. Good luck with your Mossy!
JD

Haha yes, the "jone's" syndrome..recoil wise I feel really no difference, but one thing I didn't like about the 1100 was the feeling of the bolt cycling after you fire, especially when I've tried to shoot doubles.

Alot of stuff you read says bottom barrel first but I seem to shoot better top barrel. Unless I shoot doubles the I shoot bottom first as I have fixed chokes mod/u and full /o . Find what works best for you hope you didn't sell the 1100 I know alot of guys that traded up to another gun couldent shoot it for crap and went back to the old gun.

Recoil is part physics, part perception.

Fit, technique and habituation all add in.

I like the feel of my A5, and the S&W; the 1100 feels "different," and while I can shoot it, the fit is not "right" for me. It's a subjective thing.

If the recoil or bolt action is an issue, then it's taking your attention from the target, where it belongs. I will say that at the end of a day of 200 or 300 targets, I'm glad I have a gun with moving parts to suck up some kick...[laugh] My son, on the other hand has no problems with an 870, even for doubles.

If your scores go up with the O/U, you made the right move.

Which ever barrel shoots first would be preference but you will want the tighter choke on the barrel which shoots last.

I often find that choke selection for beginners can be a bit misleading.

Often times, a new shooter is hitting the bird too far out, as a result a full choke might be best until reaction time improves and the birds are taken at the proper distance. More often than not, an improved modified does the job well, at proper distance.

This said, a patterning board is your best bet for determining what patterns correctly in your gun.

Neuro, what do you mean by "aligned to cross" ???

Due to the fact that the barrels of a double, or O/U are thicker at the chamber end, than at the muzzle, the centerline of the bores are not parallel. therefore, they have to be "regulated" to have the patterns center on a common point, which is different for each maker and gun. It's kind of like the bullet of a rifle starting below the line of sight; the trajectory taking it up to, then above the line of sight, and then back down again.

Back in the day, you could specify where - most field guns were somewhere between 30 and 40 yards. Icyclefar is quite correct that new shooters tend to wait a bit longer than they "should". My kid gets most birds within 30 yards (so it's 14 yards from the Trap ), because he's quick. I'm closer to 35; new shooters are further out. Taking them quick is generally better for several reasons.

It's an evolution.

New shooters should not overthink it.
Find someone at your Club that can break birds, and cogently impart a few tips.

Relax.

The only bird that counts is the one you're about to call for.

Don't keep score - there's a guy with paper and pencil to do that for you.

Relax.

There's no money riding on it (unless there is [laugh]).

Modified, full, somewhere in between....that's honestly less important than keeping your head on the stock, your feet in one place, and following through.

Relax.

Personally I prefer a full choke in the first barrell, improved modified would be in the 2nd barrell....

What he said. You can go IM first if your the type of guy that shoots fast as the come out of the house. If you let them linger, Full is a must. (Full also helps sharpen your skills and keeps you from getting sloppy.)
Barrel choice doesn't make a whole lot of difference as long as your consistent. Lower barrel will give less perceived recoil and helps if shooting doubles.

All that said, shoot what feels good to you. If you shoot your 1100 better, don't let the "keeping up with the Jones" syndrome have you shooting a different gun. Been There- Done That. It gets expensive and does nothing for your scores.

Due to the fact that the barrels of a double, or O/U are thicker at the chamber end, than at the muzzle, the centerline of the bores are not parallel. therefore, they have to be "regulated" to have the patterns center on a common point, which is different for each maker and gun. It's kind of like the bullet of a rifle starting below the line of sight; the trajectory taking it up to, then above the line of sight, and then back down again.

Back in the day, you could specify where - most field guns were somewhere between 30 and 40 yards. Icyclefar is quite correct that new shooters tend to wait a bit longer than they "should". My kid gets most birds within 30 yards (so it's 14 yards from the Trap ), because he's quick. I'm closer to 35; new shooters are further out. Taking them quick is generally better for several reasons.

It's an evolution.

New shooters should not overthink it.
Find someone at your Club that can break birds, and cogently impart a few tips.

Relax.

The only bird that counts is the one you're about to call for.

Don't keep score - there's a guy with paper and pencil to do that for you.

Relax.

There's no money riding on it (unless there is [laugh]).

Modified, full, somewhere in between....that's honestly less important than keeping your head on the stock, your feet in one place, and following through.

Relax.

I'm not worrying about breaking clays [smile], my average score is about 22 and my best is 24 (on my first go around btw lol) I really appreciate all the advice guys, great to hear the basics and important fundamentals...and yes Its all about having fun and shooting some guns, 'Mericaaa

I often find that choke selection for beginners can be a bit misleading.

Often times, a new shooter is hitting the bird too far out, as a result a full choke might be best until reaction time improves and the birds are taken at the proper distance. More often than not, an improved modified does the job well, at proper distance.

This said, a patterning board is your best bet for determining what patterns correctly in your gun.

I like getting the bird out of the house as fast as I can but as mentioned, proper fit and comfort to YOU is more important than form or opinion.

I like getting the bird out of the house as fast as I can but as mentioned, proper fit and comfort to YOU is more important than form or opinion.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! I pull the trigger as soon as I'm just in front of the bird, I don't rush it but I don't wait either.....

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! I pull the trigger as soon as I'm just in front of the bird, I don't rush it but I don't wait either.....

Yea I shot a few rounds on Saturday trying out the new o/u and really found getting on the bird early really effective instead of waiting...much more practice to come

The older the person you ask, the tighter the choke they suggest. 75% of the 2000 athlete at the junior national championship in Sparta IL were shooting modified with 25% Improved Mod by my estimation while I was there. If you feel like spending $75 on a choke get a Muller U2.

Now the other debate: 7 1/2 shot 1 and 1/8 oz load is the best. Heaver shot and more pellets are better.

I'm not worrying about breaking clays [smile], my average score is about 22 and my best is 24 (on my first go around btw lol) I really appreciate all the advice guys, great to hear the basics and important fundamentals...and yes Its all about having fun and shooting some guns, 'Mericaaa

just got back here. MisterHappy explained the cross over well. As far as basics, these are generalities, but should help with your practice. Never aim at the bird/clay. it will be gone before you pull the trigger. Always follow the path and shoot through the path. A good skill to have/develop is to use is to have both eyes open. it is strange if you arent used to it, but will help you get on the clay path quickly.

Best of luck

just got back here. MisterHappy explained the cross over well. As far as basics, these are generalities, but should help with your practice. Never aim at the bird/clay. it will be gone before you pull the trigger. Always follow the path and shoot through the path. A good skill to have/develop is to use is to have both eyes open. it is strange if you arent used to it, but will help you get on the clay path quickly.

Best of luck

Honestly every time I go out and try to shoot with 2 eyes open I can't hit shit...I will stick with one eye open even tho EVERYONE says to shoot with 2 eyes. Best trap shooter out there Nora Ross shoots with one eye open so I'm sticking to MY technique, and once again thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every person is different.
If you get sucked into every discipline of trap and shotgun sports you will not hit or kill shit. If you can't hit shit from the start than chances are you will never hit shit. I saw guys buy the very best in guns and gear and took lessons from some very good shooters.
Honestly I think that like in every sport or trade, you are born with the basics/skill or you find something else to do. I don't play any ball sports well and friends that I have that are able to play them reasonably well do not or can not shoot worth a damn.

I think it goes back into a time where you couldn't hit shit or the broad side of a barn. Don't over think it.

Last edited:
its a very simple game

you load the gun
you aim the gun
you shoot the gun

you dont aim a shotgun for clays or birds, go head take aim focus on that front sight, lost bird.
The beads on a shotgun are to get your "eye" in the proper postion behinf the rib

Back
Top Bottom