Tips for Flying with Firearms for the First Time

Read the current TSA regs. They've modified that. That said, I never use a combination lock when flying. If I gave it away I'd have to enter a new combination which I might not be able to do immediately.
News to me, you're right. I guess they wanted to make easier for their agents to steal guns.

It's the baggage handlers that are the real threat. I've never had a problem with TSA, even at Logan. The closest I had was at DFW with someone from USAir. I declared the case, it was properly tagged, with the handguns inside, but the nitwit counter agent supervisor handed it off to someone who didn't speak English and it was never sent to TSA for clearance. They saw a locked case with no indication of firearms.

They notified the airline who called me on my cell. The same nitwit from UScare told me that I hadn't followed the procedure. I went over to where the TSA guys were waiting and they told me that I'd be okay as long as there was an Orange Card in the case. If not, I was in big trouble. Since I had seen the card placed into the case, I new I was all set. I opened the lock, they saw the card and told me I was okay to go. The problem was that I had had to pass back out into the non sterile area and now needed to go back through.

I managed to get the same nitwit supervisor to agree to check my carry on for no charge because it was killing my back. At first he told me that he had no supervisor and wasn't going to okay it. I congratulated him on owning the airline and the TSA guys broke up laughing at him. Then he agreed to check my carry on. One of the TSA guys told me that this guy was a nitwit and was always screwing things up. It was not the first time that he had failed to properly send a bag with checked firearms to them for clearance.

I've had way more cooperation from TSA than the airlines over the years. As long as it's declared, locked up, and checked, they don't care about it at all.

The reason I don't use TSA approved locks is because I figure that everyone has one of the 12 different master keys that they use and anything secured with a TSA lock is fair game.

News to me, you're right. I guess they wanted to make easier for their agents to steal guns.

Anyone fly JetBlue lately with handgun AND ammo?

Jet Blue's website says they want ammo in separate container than the gun. Is a box of ammo stuffed in my suitcase, ie, in a pair of pants okay, with the handgun obviously locked in the hardsided case?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom