Tips and ideas to slow down an intruder?

So currently I am looking for a decent hardwire/wireless alarm system that supports x10 modules so my lights can be set to go on if a sensor is tripped. In the meantime, I am debating on putting a motion sensor light inside because I believe this would most likely send a good percentage of intruders right back out the door giving the intrusion was at night or early morning.

One of the things I have always done is close and lock my bedroom door when I go to sleep. If someone does get in, this gives me time to act instead of react seeing the likely entry points are on the opposite side of the house. I live alone so its just me and my dog which I consider family so he stays in the room with me incase something did go down I don't want him getting hurt trying to protect me.

I'm wondering what things you guys here do to help slow down or deter intruders from a home invasion.

An excellent question! Sounds like you have a good set up for Pm security. This being NES, I can hardly wait to see the answers... [laugh] [shocked]
hFB25A93A

White Feather [popcorn]

Joe and i had a conversation about this.
Double barreled shotgun, permanently mounted to your 2nd floor window, or a 2nd floor deck, pointed safely towards the sky. X10 module wired to a servo to activate the trigger based on your motion sensors.
This enhances the safety of his original solution as the shotgun is no longer usable by a person.

I always thought a 12ga slows down pretty much anyone...
That said, I can tell you from experience that kids toys will slow down anyone, and the ones with batteries give you warning that someone is downstairs

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Dog, even a small dog makes noise. They will let you know of an intruder long before you will know.

Last edited:
I always thought a 12ga slows down pretty much anyone...
That said, I can tell you from experience that kids toys will slow down anyone, and the ones with batteries give you warning that someone is downstairs

[video=youtube_share;90FR8m-zEH4]http://youtu.be/90FR8m-zEH4[/video]

Watch the Home Alone movies for some ideas. Just don't get up in the middle of the night and become a victim of one of your, shall we say security devices.[laugh]

ETA. Business just beat me to it and provided the video!

Last edited:
I watched the today show or good morning America a few months back.

Apparently, having lots of wasp spray around will really slow down the intruder. But if that fails, treat them like royalty and pray they don't hurt you.

Of course if you really want to scare them out of your house come down stairs in a banana suit with a gimp mask on your head and say "it's about time, I was getting bored"....he will tell all of his buddies to stay away

You need a girlfriend Chad.

So the dog can be out protecting/patrolling the house at night instead of being in bed with you.

Lol I'm just kidding, if your dog is alert it should be all you need inside the house. Motion sensors outside are a good idea.

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;KGFvv1tpfCE]http://youtu.be/KGFvv1tpfCE[/video] I have a few of these airsoft grenades. Was debating rigging a pull system in my shed with one at the door. Sheds have been getting broken into lately. These are run with co2 cartridges and are LOUD. Friends fill them with bb's for airsoft. Ive filled them with baby powder. Put it at the top of the door and your burglar will be white as a ghost and smell like a baby. LoL. They could get caught down the street and the cops will still know it was them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom