• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TinySA Spectrum Analyzer

MaverickNH

NES Member
I ordered a tinySA from the authorized factory vendor but grabbed an overpriced clone from Amazon to play with for a few weeks before I send it back. If it was the “authorized” version, I’d have kept it but it turned out to be overpriced AND a clone. It’s pretty nice, but the FW is hacked to pass internal calibration tests that fail if you install the unhacked FW.

It’s useful for many Radio purposes, like tracking down stuff around the home that emits bad RFI, checking signal quality, etc. I have a Rigol DSA 815 Spectrum Analyzer on my bench, along with other hobbyist-grade instruments (scope, signal generator, DMM, voltage source) but these little instruments (nanoVNA, tintSA, various handheld oscilloscopes) are nice to carry around for field use.

I’m no EE (a biologist, actually) and am enjoying learning electronics late in life. I took a one semester Intro Electronics in HS, loved it, and planned to take all 8 semesters but the substitute teacher that taught Intro left and the tenured teacher came back from leave. He hated teaching, students and the school, unfortunately, so I switch to Drafting (Vemco tables, vellum, HB pencils, etc.) - a trade lost to CAD.

788BCD2A-A7BD-45DF-99BF-B00FE7E7C445.jpeg

Cool, those things look really handy for designing filters, transformers, etc. I'd love to hear how you're using it.

Cool, those things look really handy for designing filters, transformers, etc. I'd love to hear how you're using it.
Gotta get a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) to help see the noice my radios dislike - fortunately, they’re cheap!

Back
Top Bottom