Tiny Laptop

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
I have a fairly standard powerhouse of a laptop that I typically use. It's not large, but it isn't exactly small either.

Been traveling for work and I've been taking my tablet which handles most personal computing needs. However, there is one major piece of software that I can't run on my tablet and I've been missing it. I love taking photos when I travel. New places, people, etc. But then they sit on the card until I get home and find time to process them. Lugging two full size laptops is a PIA - especially going through security as it adds another bin. And my personal laptop is not exactly small (Razer Blade). Right now I can put my work laptop, tablet and camera in one bin which makes the whole process much easier.

The software I use is called Capture One by Phase One. It's similar to Lightroom/Photoshop. I got my first version for free with a SanDisk CF card about 14 years ago and been very happy with it. Thing is, it is a bit of a resource pig. I saw a huge improvement when I went from an i5 processor to the i7 when it comes to generating jpgs from modified RAW data and applying masks and doing spot removal and color correction can be a bit slow on lesser machines too.

I was wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with the really tiny Windows 10 machines. Things like the GPD P2 Max. It's an M3 processor so I really don't expect seamless performance, but for basic white balance and color correction for a faster turn around on photos it might be worth looking at. I'm just curious if anyone's used it (or something similar) and can speak to how it handles real work.

For me, the fact that it is not all that much larger than my 8" tablet (slightly wider and thicker) it could be just the travel device I need for personal use. Would give me something to use on the plane or in the hotel at night where there isn't all that much else to do. Just curious if it would be so slow I'd get annoyed or if it would manage well enough. And yea, I'd be wearing my glasses to use it, but I do that with the tablet already.

For the interested, here are links to reviews of some of these machines: GPD P2 Max Review. Magic Ben MAG1 review

And yes, I know there are even smaller 7" windows machines, but the displays on those are less resolution and the keyboards get really cramped. Not to mention that there is usually a very odd mouse device that isn't as easy to use as a simple trackpad.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Anything smaller than a 12" makes me want to smash it with a f***ing hammer. [laugh] I also hate most of those convertible machines
as well. Like anytime I get tiny macbooks or tiny windows machines to deploy at work the first thing I think of is "why do people buy these things? this is pretty much useless. "

If it was me I would be looking at a 12" or 14" latitude on ebay that still has an onsite warranty left on it.

-Mike

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents, but I can't imagine what the photo editing workflow would be like on an 8" screen, even with that high of a resolution. From the review, the guy mentioning having to use at least 175% scaling to make things legible. That would make using Lightroom and/or Photoshop a bit of a pain. You either have icons you can't even see (at 100%) or scale them large enough that they take a significant portion of screen real estate (at 175-250%, as tested). You'd then be constantly zooming in and out to work on a photo. I think I'd take the trade off of a heavier, larger laptop if using for that purpose. If just casually using for emails, web surfing, etc, then I'd see no problem using this. It does give me uneasy shivers of my netbook keyboard though.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
if you think working on an i5 sucked, try it on an m3 = i3 with shittier speed. resource hog won't even cover it.

between the suck processor and the tiny screen....RUN away from this as a solution

DarkNet

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use one of its siblings (View: https://www.amazon.com/Industry-Portable-Computer-Notebook-Graphics/dp/B07QYZHM8F
) for specific needs while on the road. If you're in the hotel room, then something to consider is carry a long enough flexable HDMI cable and use the TV in the room, and use the mouse from your regular laptop, or carry a smallish mouse otherwise. Although I have a folding keyboard, I usually don't bring it. I don't usually bring this laptop, but do for very specific needs.

If you are planning on using it without the external tv/monitor, then based on what your stated needs are, I would go with a surface pro, IMO.

DarkNet

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love Raspberry Pi's. Have quite a few of them, including the Pi zero w's. Just put together a couple over the weekend with poisontap and p4wnp1 aloa for some upcoming work.
That's not tiny, this is:

MaverickNH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I waited a month for a GPD 6" laptop from China. A 10" Android laptop arrived. I sent them an email and they said return if not satisfied. I asked them to pre-pay return shipping and got no reply. Cc company issued refund.

chrbla2000

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
No comment on the computer thing, but... if you travel more than 1x a year on a plane, get TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry, just do it. No shoes off, no computers to pull out, no belt removal, almost like you're not a criminal!

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Get a modern iPhone. The camera is amazing.

Use Photosharing to connect to an iPad.

You'll be in heaven.

MaverickNH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Love my surface, it's one of the best things I've ever owned.
I bought my Surface 3 used and it serves as a PC hooked to a Ham Radio. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the display was separated - the battery had swollen up and pushed the display out about 1/3 inch. MS replaces such free, outside warranty periods, until they run out of the unit in question. They’re out of Surface 3 units so nada. I guess the lifetime is <5yr.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one of you got one of these?:

On the computer were a series of documents, including instructions on how to destroy the LeFlaSys Ozelot air defence system.

The LeFlaSys Ozelot is a mobile air defense missile system first deployed in 2001 and still in use today. The surface-to-air system is used to quickly react against air threats, protecting command centers and troops on the move.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
For the record, I picked up the GPD P2 Max. Yea, It's small. I absolutely need my reading glasses with it. But it does not suck. I can run my photo editing software Capture One on it just fine. Testing with a 21 image set, converting to JPG from Raw on the GPD P2 Max is about 4.5 images behind my 2015 i7 laptop. Just for yucks I pulled out that old i5 I had and brought it up to date and ran the test on that. The circa 2010 i5 is 3 images behind the m3 processor P2Max.

When doing major color corrections, there is just the shortest lag on the P2 Max which is awesome considering the 21 megapixel images I'm working with. My older PC used to be far worse.

Typing on the keyboard takes some getting used to. I keep hitting enter when I want the apostrophe. Other characters like the dash need a function key. The lack of a right hand shift key also caught me a couple times. Still, overall it's not as compromising as I'd feared. Absolutely a usable on-the-go laptop.

Here it is compared to my 15" machine.

1584380489333.jpeg

Top Bottom