• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Time to try out S&W's legendary customer service

Today I went to the range and put about 200 rounds thru my 1911pd, Tonight while cleaning it, the plunger tube broke off, both posts sheared off. I don't know if this is one of the MIM parts people bitch about. My question is should I send it back to S&W to replace the part, or should I buy a quality after market part, and have Greg Derr install it for me?

I'm on my third one, hopefully S&W has figured it out and used quality replacement parts. As a side note the first time I sent it back for repairs it came home with a new set of grips, screws, and a beat up magazine that they used to test fire it.

I'm on my third one, hopefully S&W has figured it out and used quality replacement parts. As a side note the first time I sent it back for repairs it came home with a new set of grips, screws, and a beat up magazine that they used to test fire it.

that's what I wanted to avoid, if they are going to rplace the plunger tube with the same problematic part, I should just buy a quality part form EGW or C&S and solve the problem.
I did call this morning for a call tag. I suppose I should take the aftermarket grips off it.
The extra mag will be nice, although I generally use only Wilson mags.

If you have aftermarket accessories on the gun that aren't part of the problem, they'll send it back with the gun as is.

This seems to be a recurring issue with the 1911PD. The same thing happened to MrsTwigg's 1911 several weeks after she bought it.

S&W did fix it for free, I dropped it off sans mag and found a spiffy new Wilson in its place when I picked her sidearm up. [grin]

Haven't had any issues since. Knocks on wood.

My friend has a 1911SC, this happened on his gun. One of the
stakes broke off... S+W fixed it, but IMO this isn't a part that
should break to begin with.

Those kind of problems don't exactly inspire confidence on something which is generally marketed as a carry gun.... I'm not saying its an epidemic of sorts, but hearing this from another person somehow does not surprise me....

Mike

I've sent personal and departmental firearms back for service without magazines. Never was one returned when repaired. Sounds like someone just forgot to remove it.

The recoil spring plug broke on my Springfield 1911. I just ordered a new one from Brownell's instead of tying up the gun for a few weeks.

I would take it to Greg Derr. When mine broke, I called Greg, he fixed the gun while I waited and for cheap. I rather pay a few bucks and be shooting than waiting 2 weeks for a free fix

I went the other route. I didn't think it would be that fast, and wanted to avoid a repeat if it was a S&W part-specific problem. I dropped it off up in NH at a gun shop. Let's see which one lasts longer.....

I went the other route. I didn't think it would be that fast, and wanted to avoid a repeat if it was a S&W part-specific problem. I dropped it off up in NH at a gun shop. Let's see which one lasts longer.....

If this happens again, thats exactly what I am going to do. I never paid much attention to the internet noise about MIM parts, maybe there is something to it afer all.

Keep in mind if you use this as a duty gun you can put "Attention DG" when you send it and you will get it back quicker.

--Mike

Back
Top Bottom