Time to start reloading

OK, I've read through most of the posts I can find for starting reloading & I just want to verify that I've got things covered.

Also watched Jamz Utube videos. Thanks!

To start with I'll be reloading .223 77gr Sierras for Service Rifle matches. I've been shooting Black Hills Blue Box 77gr at all ranges up until now and I'd like to stick with a similar mag length load to start out. I'll expand from there, but that's my priority at this point.

Currently I have:
Lee single stage set up as a decapping station
Lee hand priming tool
case tumbler
Pact scale
Redding powder measure.
a set of Hornady Dies.

edit to add items I had & forgot to list:
bullet puller
digital calipers

On my to buy list;
Another press - I'm looking at the Redding turret press at the moment but I have also considered the Dillon 550B.
Case trimmer plus reaming & deburring tools
primer pocket reamer (will these also work to remove crimps? I have some mil brass)
case gauge
case lube
Primers (planning on Rem 7 1/2 based on lots of reading)
Powder - From what I've read & gathered from talking with people; either Varget, RE15 or H4895

Just tossing this out there to get some feedback & see if I'm missing something major or if there are any pitfalls I should watch out for.

Thanks,
CD

Last edited:
Bullet Puller may come in handy
Once again I suggest ABC's of Reloading as I found it to be a very helpful resource for the beginner and intermediate reloaders.

Thanks guys.

I forgot to list the bullet puller. I have the Lee book and a compilation booklet for .223, but haven't picked up any other's yet. I'll take a look at the ABC's while I'm checking some others out.

I am registered over on nationalmatch.us; that's where I've gotten some of my info to get started on the purchases. I haven't jarheadtops reloading article yet though. I'll have to take a look at that tonight.

Lyman Reloading Manual, ABCs of realoding was a great book that i bought after reading the posts on here and it was worth it. Just ordered the Hodgon Manual as well so I have a total of 4 different manuals to cross referance powder and bullet types.

Using a Lee Single Stage Press myself but the breech lock kit which makes things a little faster but Im looking already to upgrade to a Turrett.

If all you are going to do is the 223, the Dillon might be an overkill. While it is a great press, when loading most rifle calibers, I use it pretty much as a single stage press. I prep all my rifle cases beforehand, cleaning depriming, trimming, cleaning primer pockets and re-priming using standard SR primers. I use CCI but it seems everyone has their favorite.

I use Lee's simple case trimming system chucked in a drill. Not the best, but it works. It you plan of processing a lot of crimped brass, a swaging tool is handy. The Dillon is great but on the pricey side. I have a friend who has one and he processes the pockets for me.

The Lyman book is great. Never used any others, other than the powder manufacturers booklets. I use 24.5 grains of Varget for my 77 Sierra loads. I gave up the 69 and 80 grain Sierras. The 77 seem to do everything all rolled up in one bullet.

Instead of the primer pocket reamer, consider either a Dillon swaging tool, or one of the swaging dies that can go in your single stage. I have one of the RCBS swaging die sets and it works great.

+1 on the RCBS swaging die. I used the primer pocket reamer and I will not go back to it. Also, have you considered the RCBS X dies? They eliminate the need to trim your cases. I picked up a set in 223, and they work great!

You just put a case into your press, lower the lever, then raise the lever, take the case off the piece, and put another one on. Takes about as long as it does to run a case through a sizing die.

I'll take a look at the X-dies & read up on them, that's the first I've heard of them. From what I've read so far though I'll still need to get the case trimmer to prep the brass before using the X-die for the first time. I have considered both the RCBS swaging die and the Dillon tool & then just getting something to clean the primer pockets out.

The reason I'm considering the 550B is I do shoot several different handguns & I'll probably start reloading for them in the future. They are just lower on the priority list so this is getting set up first for match ammo for the rifle.

+1 on the Lyman manual.It is a great one to start with and has lots of useful info however I tend to think the charge amounts are a bit on the conservative side.You might also want to consider getting a set of calipers either dial or digital.I use digital.

dies

lee has a collet crimper that closes from side just like factory.
you might get Midsouthshooters cat as referance.I bought from them when I was in mass and my friends there use midsouth.[grin]

Chris, the best advice I can give you is "Keep it Simple".

I use a 550B for all my .223 loads. I don't weigh any powder charges: everything gets dumped from the measure (after weighing the initial charge to double check and be safe). Don't weigh or sort cases and bullets. Don't mess around with primer pockets (except to get out a military crimp). Don't mess around with crimping bullets. In reloading for our game, the goal is churn out a lot of good ammo; It doesn't need to be benchrest perfect.

Most everybody in Highpower uses Varget or RE15, but some swear by 4895 and a few other powders. I use the same powder charge for both 77's and 80's (24.5 of RE15 w/moly bullets). I do use a Forster Competition seater just because it is easier to dial in my settings for 77's and 80's.

If you are ever heading to the Goat and want to see what I do in person, let me know. I'm 5 minutes down the road.

Thanks for the additional input on this.

Picked up most of the items on my list this past weekend. Ended up getting a RCBS turret press which I think will work out well. Just need to get powder now & decide if I want to pick up the X-die for resizing & a competition seating die. I like what I've found out about the X-dies and a Comp seating die will make things easier once I start loading 80s for the 600.

Back
Top Bottom