Time to get rid of prisons

CO's decide who is protected based on who pays. As long as the inmates don't touch the protected, they are allowed a certain illusion of control. Drugs and other contraband doesn't get in without the CO's letting it in.
It is entirely possible to make prisons relatively safe and controlled environments. But the inmates hate that. They prefer the illusion of control. There was a documentary on a warden who did just that. Inmates hated it.
Gen Pop justice wasn't a thing at his house.
I guess my experience working in a state prison for over 20 years was different than your experience. If COs were getting paid by anyone other than the state they must have thought I didn't need the money. I was never offered a cent.
Virtually all of the contraband that makes inside is brought in by visitors and non-security staff, nurses, counselors, teachers, clergy and so on.
Maybe you've watched Brubaker too many times.
But, you could always take the exam and get yourself a cushy gig over at Shirley Max. Maybe you can root out corruption and win yourself a medal. Or take some of that sweet graft money and retire in the Caribbean.

The prison system is without a doubt a major part of the problem. Specifically private prisons that have a financial interest in keeping as many people jailed for as long as possible.
I don’t think that way, I think there would be plenty of violent and repeat offender people to put in prison. Not small offenses.

The prison system is not the problem. The courts are the problem. Plenty of laws, plenty of enforcers. Too many liberal judges backed by liberal AGs.
No kidding. This guy got 50 months. Why even bother putting anyone in prison if you are just going to give them a slap on the wrist.

This guy got 50 months. Why even bother putting anyone in prison if you are just going to give them a slap on the wrist.
Meh, weak.

Non violent crimes go to prison.
Any term over 5 years is capital punishment. One appeal maximum.
Appeal must be heard within 6 months.
Three time offenders automatic capital punishment - no appeal.
Sentence of capital punishment to be carried out within 3 months of outcome of appeal.
Last meal standard prison garbage.
Method of execution: hanging, rope to be re-used.

And for the hand wringers among us:

Wrongful death by state results in payment to family of victim's last year's wages per tax return multiplied by 20.

Let's get the population to a manageable number.

It would be a very interesting societal change without the prison system. Without the courts system? Without law enforcement? Can humans be trusted without the “law”? How little control should that “law” have? Hoary times would ensue.

Adjustment of judgment is worthy wrt petty crimes like drug usage or petty theft. Decriminalization has proved not to work in woke cities like LA and San Francisco. Then you have stand your ground laws, of which I agree with, being used to perforate a petty thief if it’s a business that I don’t agree with. If one enters my home as such even without threat or a weapon? If legal where you live then by all means create a human colander. There are so many variables to consider. I agree that the “system” has become a monstrous issue. Like anything related to the state or government a diminutive thing eventually becomes indomitable.

There’s a balance between authoritarian control and mod rule. Opinions on NES are also like sphincters.

Wow, the statists are out in force in this thread.

The legal system is corrupt. I barely trust the government to put people in jail for serious crimes. Drugs and carrying of firearms by free men and women should not be illegal. We have political prisoners rotting in jail from Jan 6th. Yet, some posters are clamoring for capital punishment. The sick joke will be on you when you are the one on death row for wrongthink.

Pure and simple, with few exceptions, dump the prison system. Here are a few alternatives I suggest:

1.) If you commit a non-violent crime, such as burglary, you'll work it off to repay the victim

2.) Non-violent offenders must also do community service to repay society

3.) "Minor" violent crimes, such as brawling, etc will be treated in a similar fashion-community service/restitution

4.) Recidivists for non-violent offenses and drug dealers will be shackled at a yet to be determined location, possibly a remote island, along with ne'er-do-wells who don't follow #1-3

5.) Corrupt politicians will be tarred and feathered

6.) Serious violent offenders, drug lords, and white collar criminals whose actions/greed result in death will be executed

There you have it-our new, simplified, and improved criminal justice system. You're welcome!
"5.) Corrupt politicians will be tarred and feathered"

You better corner the market on tar and feathers as every single politician is corrupt.

It will never fly. There's too much money to be made in the "so-called" criminal justice system (Police, Lawyers, Judges, treatment programs, Psychiatrists/Psychologists, Bail Bondsmen, Probation/Parole officers, Trial Court Personnel, and the Prison system itself).

If drugs were legal, drug dealers would cease to exist.

If we really had a Second Amendment all gun charges would go away.

I like some of your ideas, but the powers that be want people who make mistakes on Uncle Sam's / The State's plantation. The "system" wants you to fail despite a mission statement to the contrary.

Heinous crimes should result in lifetime incarceration or capital punishment (Public hangings would be a great deterrent).
It's not even the money. It's the woke 'do gooders' who think everyone can be rehabilitated. There is the occasional person who legitimately was wrongfully convicted, those people need a recourse. But if you read into a LOT of the 'overturned' sentences, a lot of those are on a technicality, not innocence. It's just not feasible to retry a case 20-30 years after the fact, so the people get let go. It's hard enough to get a conviction when everything is fresh, no way it happens years later in most cases. Look at some of the serial killers, Green River or BTK, we 'know' they killed more people, but you simply can't prove it.

But if you read into a LOT of the 'overturned' sentences, a lot of those are on a technicality, not innocence.

But those technicalities matter.

Suppose a killer is guilty. The State screws up and fails to share discovery with his lawyers, meaning he doesn't get a fair shot at a defense. You're making it sound as though the State's failure doesn't really matter; the dude's guilty anyway.

Should the state be able to railroad him to get a conviction? I think that's repugnant. The system has to hold the State accountable for their unlawful actions.

But those technicalities matter.

Suppose a killer is guilty. The State screws up and fails to share discovery with his lawyers, meaning he doesn't get a fair shot at a defense. You're making it sound as though the State's failure doesn't really matter; the dude's guilty anyway.

Should the state be able to railroad him to get a conviction? I think that's repugnant. The system has to hold the State accountable for their unlawful actions.
I get it, the State needs to get it right. OJ? A guilty man got off because they tried to frame him? Maybe?

What I'm saying is, I know of at least one 'murderer' who was let go because DNA came back wonky 20 years later. Despite there was other articulation that showed the man at the scene, at the time of the murder, the DNA was the newest 'gee whiz' stuff back in the 80's and the cops threw it in there. The DNA didn't match, that's all. Guy gets let out. Was it righteous? Maybe? I don't know the specifics other than what was in the report by the people who got him out. I used their own information to make my opinion, I wasn't convinced.

Most of my cases didn't involve any significant jail time, most was time served. The longest sentence I ever was a part of was 25 years. Both of those, I spent hours making sure I got my shit right. I've seen videos of cops who simply didn't know their authority and where it started and ended. I had a lawyer come at me once, after a couple questions, the judge told him to stfu. I knew my stuff, at least at the time, I spent hours reading up on the case law involving the case. It'd be nice if more cops took the time.

Back
Top Bottom