'Time machine' created in Russia moves tiny particles a fraction of a second into the past

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vladimir Lenin, Joseph Stalin, Nikita Khrushchev and Leonid Brezhnev are all travelling together in a railway carriage. Unexpectedly, the train stops. Lenin suggests: "Perhaps we should announce a subbotnik, so that workers and peasants will fix the problem." Stalin puts his head out of the window and shouts, "If the train does not start moving, the driver will be shot!" (An allusion to the Great Purge.) But the train doesn't start moving. Khrushchev then shouts, "Let's take the rails from behind the train and use them to lay the tracks in front". (An allusion to Khrushchev's various reorganizations.) But still the train doesn't move. Then Brezhnev says, "Comrades, Comrades, let's draw the curtains, turn on the gramophone and pretend we're moving!" (An allusion to the Brezhnev stagnation period.) A later continuation to this has Mikhail Gorbachev saying, "We were going the wrong way anyways!" and changing the train's direction (alluding to his policies of glasnost and perestroika), and Boris Yeltsin driving the train off the rails and through a field (allusion to the breakup of the Soviet Union).
Russian political jokes - Wikipedia

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I often wish I could go back in time. Kinda like the 7 second delay used on live radio.

That way when I say something dumb I could change it. I tried repeating "Undo, Undo, Undo" and clicking my heels together but it didn't work.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What they did appears to reverse entropy at the quantum level. The particles spontaneously reorganize into a higher quantum state in apparent defiance of the second law.

They're defining reverse entropy as time travel. It's basically bullsh!t.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My read of the article led me to believe that the researchers
1. Ran a program on a quantum computer that took a set of qubits from an ordered state to a disordered state.
2. Ran another program that bought the qubits back to a state of order.
3. Imply that the return to the ordered state is a reversal of the arrow of time.
4. Then clarify that it only *appears* to be a reversal of time.

My takeaway is that no "time travel" occurred, especially since running the second program undoubtedly required a net contribution of energy.

TLDR: more clickbait.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
This is how they got to Trump. They showed him a picture of himself and he started disappearing a la BTTF and he agreed to Putin's bidding from that day forward.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Ran a program on a quantum computer that took a set of qubits from an ordered state to a disordered state.
3. Imply that the return to the ordered state is a reversal of the arrow of time.

My takeaway is that no "time travel" occurred, especially since running the second program undoubtedly required a net contribution of energy.

Please comment more often. Thank you.

Evadd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0

Thanks for saving me the time to say that. ;)

beaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If I could go back in time i would go back to all those times women were actually hitting on me but I was too dense to realize what was going on until years later. Yup, that and buy Microsoft and Apple stock at the right time, to get ready for the Google IPO. Yup those two things.

Top Bottom