• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Time for me to eat some crow

CBP announced the winner of the pistol contract. Going to be a Glock for me for the next couple of years.

I honestly didn't think Glock was going to win based on past performance. Pretty much everyone thought the P320 was a shoe in.

Glock must be putting out an outstanding pistol nowadays, the torture test was beyond anything anyone else has put guns through under controlled conditions.

CBP announced the winner of the pistol contract. Going to be a Glock for me for the next couple of years.

I honestly didn't think Glock was going to win based on past performance. Pretty much everyone thought the P320 was a shoe in.

Glock must be putting out an outstanding pistol nowadays, the torture test was beyond anything anyone else has put guns through under controlled conditions.

Tell us a little about the test.

BTW, interesting job you have. How is it there?

I guess they needed something reliable.

Glocks work when wet, covered in sand, covered in dirt, covered in mud.

If that is what they care about they made the right choice.

Anecdotally, yes, in objective testing, not so much.

Tell us a little about the test.

BTW, interesting job you have. How is it there?

Gun was tested (something like 10k rounds), drop tested. Drop tested based on how the gun impacted, not the angle it was dropped (gun could rotate on the way down, our test was on impact)
They added a light. Repeated every single test. Then did a reliability test with the light attached.
They added an optic. Repeated all of the above.
They added optic and light. Repeated all of the above.

The RFP is out there, if I stumble across it, I'll post it up. I read most of it a few months ago. They didn't post the model, so I'm curious to see if it's the 19x, I don't remember most Glocks being lefty friendly. There was a list of things that have 'always been problems' that were supposed to be designed out of the gun.

Interior station is pretty quiet, enough work to keep me busy, but I'm not chasing my tail like out in the desert.

10-round mags...?

Don't remember the spec off hand, but pretty sure it's >12+1 we currently carry. I'm sure some dipshit is going to show up to work with one of those 30 rnd mags in his holster. If Marines eat crayons, a lot of the Patrol tends to lick windows.
edit: Minimum of 16 for the full sized. I'll probably carry the midsize with 14. Secret squirrels will carry the small one at 10.
edit:
Didn't read all of it, I'm hoping the interwebs will be good to me with the basics of the specs:

US Customs and Border Protection Releases Solicitation for New Pistol - Soldier Systems Daily

If you REALLY want to get your gun nerd boner raging, this looks like the actual RFP with all the jibber jabber I don't have time for:
9MM Handgun - Federal Business Opportunities: Opportunities

Last edited:

Plus they’re cheap and parts are everywhere.

The specific pistol isn't announced yet but is rumored to be the G47. A new model that's not commercially available.

It is a Gen 5 19X frame (17 frame with a 19 dust cover) and a 17 slide with MOS plate and front cocking serrations.

ABE226C3-9C7E-4CA5-A582-9CB5E94DBC3F.jpg

Anecdotally, yes, in objective testing, not so much.

Gun was tested (something like 10k rounds), drop tested. Drop tested based on how the gun impacted, not the angle it was dropped (gun could rotate on the way down, our test was on impact)
They added a light. Repeated every single test. Then did a reliability test with the light attached.
They added an optic. Repeated all of the above.
They added optic and light. Repeated all of the above.

The RFP is out there, if I stumble across it, I'll post it up. I read most of it a few months ago. They didn't post the model, so I'm curious to see if it's the 19x, I don't remember most Glocks being lefty friendly. There was a list of things that have 'always been problems' that were supposed to be designed out of the gun.

Interior station is pretty quiet, enough work to keep me busy, but I'm not chasing my tail like out in the desert.
Gen5 has reversible mag release and ambidextrous slide lever.
I upgraded from a Gen2 chiefly for these reasons.

None, sir.

Though if there's stories about a lefty having trouble with a Glock, I would be willing to learn from them.

It's just why fumble with your system when you don't have to. With upwards of 60k people, there's enough lefties to make it an issue for us. I've been pretty hopped up on adrenaline, it's a lot different than shooting paper. Miss the mag release, that extra second could cost you. I've been drawn in on someone doing something 'bad' and could see my gun shaking. I can only imagine what happens on a 2-way firing range. I've been lucky, only my partners getting shot at, lucky for me anyway.

It's just why fumble with your system when you don't have to. With upwards of 60k people, there's enough lefties to make it an issue for us. I've been pretty hopped up on adrenaline, it's a lot different than shooting paper. Miss the mag release, that extra second could cost you. I've been drawn in on someone doing something 'bad' and could see my gun shaking. I can only imagine what happens on a 2-way firing range. I've been lucky, only my partners getting shot at, lucky for me anyway.

If you are getting Gen 5s, they have ambi slide stop levers, and you can switch the mag release.

I was working part time at a local shop over the winter and I got to spend a good bit of time with a G45. Glock knocked it out the park with that pistol. I love my 19x, but I wish I would have waited and gotten a G45.

Serious question: in what way(s) does a gunfight test a handgun that a competitive match does not?

I'd think that for this comparison to work not just any competitive match will do. It'd have to be a world championship, need the prize money to get lifesaving medicine for the children, kind of competitive match to compare to a life and death shootout.

I'd think that for this comparison to work not just any competitive match will do. It'd have to be a world championship, need the prize money to get lifesaving medicine for the children, kind of competitive match to compare to a life and death shootout.
We're talking about potential problems with the gun, right? So if I've put thousands of rounds through a gun in a competitive environment over the years; hundreds upon hundreds without cleaning it; have used mags I just dropped in mud; have gotten sand in the gun; have shot the gun in 15 degree weather and in 90 degree weather; rain, snow, or shine... What hardship does a gunfight subject that gun to that I haven't? Again, I'm not being a smart-ass or making excuses for whatever gun I have; I'm genuinely curious to get a federal officer's perspective, especially when he seems to dislike Glocks.

I think it's the wrong question. The question is not whether or not an individual has shot someone... It's how many gun fights Glocks have been in, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say quite a lot

Would love me some G45. Glock Perfection for real.

If the pic reptile posted is right, it should serve the CBP well, lefty or righty. ;)

Honest to God... It's my favorite G. Its everything I want. I don't have a lot of pistols. I have a g43, and a pair of g45s. One red dot with x300, and one stockish. Fills all my shooting/training/carry needs.

I was working part time at a local shop over the winter and I got to spend a good bit of time with a G45. Glock knocked it out the park with that pistol. I love my 19x, but I wish I would have waited and gotten a G45.

Out of curiosity, why? Looking at the Glock site, they seem quite similar.

Serious question: in what way(s) does a gunfight test a handgun that a competitive match does not?

It's not 'him' or the concept of the gunfight. It's about having a weapon platform that is adjustable to 'you' and 'me'. The agency dictated one platform, therefore, it needs to be able to be adaptable to the 4'5" female and the 6'6" monster with baseball gloves for hands. Both right and left handed. I have no issue with the Glock, per se, it's just they simply did not perform well in the past in a objective test. It's the reason I carry a HnK.

So, you're saying you'd step into a competitive shooting competition with a gun with ergonomics that do not fit you? I'd think not. That's my point.

Edit: If you take into account the conditions in the Southwest. I doubt you've ever shot a match after shaking your pistol in a vat of talcum powder. You also don't have to account for a window licker who only cleans his gun....well...never. I cleaned a gun once I probably could have used a puddy knife to get the gunk out.

Last edited:
The specific pistol isn't announced yet but is rumored to be the G47. A new model that's not commercially available.

It is a Gen 5 19X frame (17 frame with a 19 dust cover) and a 17 slide with MOS plate and front cocking serrations.

View attachment 279010

That's probably it then, I'll be happy with it. Good excuse to shoot the snot out of it, if I'm going to teach it...I gots to shoot it.

It'll probably be available when they meet the production run to fill the order, something like 70k guns if you account for spares, blue guns, red guns. Big Wigs that have one of each, because.

Back
Top Bottom