• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Time For a New Optic

Looking to get an optic for my new AR that I picked up a few weeks ago. I'm settled on vortex, I have a strikefire I one my other AR and I'm convinced it's almost as good as an aimpoint for 1/3 the money.

I'm stuck between the spitfire, sparc or another strikefire. Suggestions?

Have a strikefire on mine.
Would grab another in a heartbeat.
The strikefire one I started with had a minor problem.
Sent it in and a week and a half later a brand new Strikefire Il was at my door.
How can you go wrong with CS like that.
They hold zero like a champ .

Have a strikefire on mine.
Would grab another in a heartbeat.
The strikefire one I started with had a minor problem.
Sent it in and a week and a half later a brand new Strikefire Il was at my door.
How can you go wrong with CS like that.
They hold zero like a champ .

They do. I haven't been gentle on mine and it spent many hours bouncing around in the back of my truck with no ill effects.

I just can see if there's any advantage of one of vortex's RDS's over the others. The fact that the spitfire has 3 inches of eye relief whereas the others are unlimited is kind of annoying. Or so it seems.

The Sig red dot i used at their rifle 101 class seemed decent, only like $100. Instructor said he uses one on his shotgun that he teaches with, very durable.

What's the difference between a $3-500 little red dot on my AR pistol, compared to my cheap $70 ones? I can hit (somehow, I can barely see that far? ) at 100 yards within 8- 10". I don't mind turning it on and off after every range trip.
Edit: and I'm a newbie at shooting that far.

Edit again: I have the primary arms red dot and bushnell trs25.

Last edited:
What's the difference between a $3-500 little red dot on my AR pistol, compared to my cheap $70 ones? I can hit (somehow, I can barely see that far? ) at 100 yards within 8- 10". I don't mind turning it on and off after every range trip.

Other than +$270, zero consistency, reliability, battery life, and the crispness of the dot (assuming your eyes or eye correction is good) so you can sight in at 100m on the top of the circle... nothing.

Edit again: I have the primary arms red dot and bushnell trs25.

Well welcome to the shooting world. I'll tell you this because I learned it the hard way when I started out.

You absolutely get what you pay for; to a point.

What you are buying when you get a quality optic is how well it holds zero, the clarity of the glass, clarity of the dot, weather resistance, battery life, warranty and overall durability.

A $500 aimpoint can be run over by a truck, dropped from a helicopter, have its lens smashed and still function and still hold zero. A $70 cheapo optic will need periodic re-zeroing just from recoil impulse, it'll fog up, etc etc.

Piggybacking suggestion and question. I'm looking at the 7.62 equivalent of these

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...ed-223556-545x39-308-acss-reticle/p/kt-pac5x/

and

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...bined-sighting-system-paps1-6x/p/kt-paps1-6x/

One is a fixed power and the other is variable. I'm leaning towards the 1-6 due at the moment. Any words of wisdom or suggestions at a comparable price?
get the 1x6 . I hit a 1 inch at 100yds with a 1x4 last week on my AK so the 1x6 should be better. plus you can turn it down to 1 power and put the illuminated reticle on and it can be used as a red dot.

Depends what you need it for. I have an ACOG on my zombie gun... because in case of zombies, I want something bulletproof.

For a plinker, as long as it holds a zero and has decent warranty service I wouldn't worry too much.

If you are investing in a life and death tool it is different entirely. Time will tell but some competitors to the big boys are putting out good products, which is why I think we are seeing more affordable offerings from the big companies lately.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

The only way to see a difference is to try different optics side by side. Also knowing what you want out of a optic is key. If your red dot covers 4moa your not really going to shoot nice small groups. You get hits on torso.
I will warn everyone. If you like your inexpensive optics DO NOT try nice ones.
I been looking for a new target scope for almost a year. Over the summer I tried some nice scopes. From $1000-3000.
When you look through a nice target scope with a 1/8 moa dot and fixed magX in the 24-36 range and can put that dot in the middle of your 7.62 bullet hole at 200...well it changes things.
As for inexpensive. I'm a lucky one with the cheaper stuff. I have a tasco propoint that's 15+ years old. Been on pellet guns to shotguns and still going. The dot is more of a burst on full bright but you look past that on cheap stuff.

Seriously considering the Aimpoint Pro with my EOtech refun money.

I have not received my refund yet but this is the route I went. I should have held out for $360 deal but was anxious and paid $400. I got it sighted in last weekend and have no regrets.

I just ordered a Bushnell TRS-25 for my shotty. Maybe I will do a comparison of it to the AimPoint Comp M3 and SWFA 1-6x if I get time. The other two are great optics that I highly recommend. I'm not sure how a $100 micro dot will compare.

Back
Top Bottom