• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

time for a cannon!

i want a cannon. not a full size cannon (wife said no) but a small, black powder cannon. i dont want to to shoot projectiles, just to make a blackpowder bang & smoke. it has to be smaller but not tiny. i want to mount it on my pontoon boat. i also dont want to break the bank for this thing. i even considered looking for an old black powder rile and chopping it down then building a fake body around it. any suggestions?

My cousin made a cannon in metal shop class at high school.
(He grew up in Milton NH)
It was made from a foot long piece of 4" steel bar stock.
He bored it out 1.5" wide and 10" deep and welded a U shaped handle to it.
This is for both carry and chaining to trees, so the cannon itself doesn't become a lethal projectile.
The normal charge he uses is 4 oz. of Pyrodex and a few paper towels rammed down on top.
Loud ????
Holy Crap!!!

It's even more fun when he hammers a golf ball into the bore. [shocked]

Dixie gun works. They have a few 1/2 size, 1/3 size and smaller. They can also shoot projectiles, because you know that you will get tired of only powder after a while.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/

Last edited:
MA appears to define "cannon" as (527 CMR 22.02):
Any gun designed to be fired from a carriage resting on the ground and which is loaded from the muzzle with rigid non-combustible black powder cartridge.​
So bore appears irrelevant to the basic definition in MA. But that is really specific. Would just mounting any such BP gun to a boat (not a carriage) meet the definition? And - Anyone know what they mean specifically by "rigid non-combustible black powder cartridge"? (Yes, that's all cut-n-pasted from the regulation, poor English and all.) Is it not a cannon if you pour the measure for each round?

To the OP: If you are willing to do a hand-held version, there are quite ordinary blackpowder guns with .75" bores. Very loud bang.

yes you do. you have to demonstrate you can safely aim and hit your target without any collateral damage.
The kicker is the penalty for peeing without a license is a stern talking to, while violating any of the terms of the license if one is obtained is 2 1/2 years in the HOC and permanent loss of suitability for future licenses...

MA appears to define "cannon" as (527 CMR 22.02):
Any gun designed to be fired from a carriage resting on the ground and which is loaded from the muzzle with rigid non-combustible black powder cartridge.​
So bore appears irrelevant to the basic definition in MA. But that is really specific. Would just mounting any such BP gun to a boat (not a carriage) meet the definition? And - Anyone know what they mean specifically by "rigid non-combustible black powder cartridge"? (Yes, that's all cut-n-pasted from the regulation, poor English and all.) Is it not a cannon if you pour the measure for each round?

To the OP: If you are willing to do a hand-held version, there are quite ordinary blackpowder guns with .75" bores. Very loud bang.

527CMR22 provides a vague definition of the cartridges. They have to be tin foil, IIRC. You aren't allowed to use "loose or bulk" powder for cannoneering in MA.

Methinks it might be worth it to put chainsaw handles on the thing, along with a shoulder strap, and fire it from the hip [laugh] That way it won't be a cannon....just a muzzleloader

527CMR22 provides a vague definition of the cartridges. They have to be tin foil, IIRC. You aren't allowed to use "loose or bulk" powder for cannoneering in MA.

Methinks it might be worth it to put chainsaw handles on the thing, along with a shoulder strap, and fire it from the hip [laugh] That way it won't be a cannon....just a muzzleloader
Ok, but you first...

What a bunch of non-sense... (CMRs) but we knew that already...

I had read that as IF it uses those types of powder cartridges, it's a cannon, if it doesn't, it isn't. Then later it talks about not being allowed to use loose powder as the main charge in a cannon. How circular is that!? Hard to even know what to do, but I suppose they like it that way.

I feel for you guys.

If it's not a cannon, and it goes boom, then it's likely a destructive device. At least for the arrest, news report, arraignment and dangerousness hearing.

When it's determined to be "not a threat" (several months later) your surviving family members can pick up the pieces of their lives, and move on.....

It's all good.

A friend of mine made a cannon an inch or so in dia. that was loaded with a shotglass of black powder/ pyrodex with newspaper wading. Every time this friend of mine touched it off, the neighbors would throw a bitch. It didn't matter where he was (over friends houses), every single time, they'd get their panties in a bunch-even on the 4th of July. This friend has now retired said cannon... it's just too much trouble.

i'm liking the hydraulic cyl idea. also, it'll only be fired in ct on special occasions. i want it for looks too so those signal cannons are out. the mini cannons are great but too small. thanks for the insight & any other suggestions would be appreciated.

i want a cannon. not a full size cannon (wife said no) but a small, black powder cannon. i dont want to to shoot projectiles, just to make a blackpowder bang & smoke. it has to be smaller but not tiny. i want to mount it on my pontoon boat. i also dont want to break the bank for this thing. i even considered looking for an old black powder rile and chopping it down then building a fake body around it. any suggestions?

I pick up mine next weekend![smile]

Back
Top Bottom