Tikka T1X vs CZ 457 Varmint

headednorth

NES Member
Anybody own or shot one or the other or both and have a preference? Looking for a rifle to get into NRL 22 base class and general plinking. Tbh, Im leaning towards the CZ just based on the aesthetics (T1X is a little too plasticky for my taste) but wanted to hear some opinions before I buy. Any reasons I should buy one over the other aside from looks?

1590715971255.png

1590716177065.png

I have a 452 and a 455, they shoot great. I am very happy with the 455, use it all the time. I doubt the 457 will be any different. I don't think you will be disappointed in the CZ.

Just to be clear, I have not shot the Tikka.

452 American. I initially did a trigger spring change, but eventually replaced the trigger entirely with a Rifle Basix trigger. Superb. No other modifications.

From another thread:

img_20170823-2-jpg.225281

The 452 American has a light barrel, and you can see the groups open slightly as it (and the suppressor) heat up. Still, those are small groups (of 5 each) - it's very reliable and my primary groundhog eliminator, usually using SK Standard Plus, which groups a little tighter than the above.

Limited to the 452/55, I'd get the Tikka if a) I wanted a better trigger out of the box, and b) more modification options. But the 457 trigger is supposed to be amazing out of the box, you can barrel swap, and I 100% agree, the CZ look is great.

Get what pleases the eye. It's a starter rifle, and something both aesthetic and accurate will never stop being a go-to. The 457 seems like a "never regret it" purchase.

Anybody own or shot one or the other or both and have a preference? Looking for a rifle to get into NRL 22 base class and general plinking. Tbh, Im leaning towards the CZ just based on the aesthetics (T1X is a little too plasticky for my taste) but wanted to hear some opinions before I buy. Any reasons I should buy one over the other aside from looks?

View attachment 360775

View attachment 360778
if bound by limitations of certain rules for the games you plan to play. out of those 2 CZ hands down it looks better so it has to shoot better, right.

If this fits into your rules requirement i like these. Even right handed (im a lefty ) this thing just felt nice.

if bound by limitations of certain rules for the games you plan to play. out of those 2 CZ hands down it looks better so it has to shoot better, right.

If this fits into your rules requirement i like these. Even right handed (im a lefty ) this thing just felt nice.
Looks very nice...and expensive. From what I gather, base class limits the combined msrp of scope and rifle to $1050.

Looks very nice...and expensive. From what I gather, base class limits the combined msrp of scope and rifle to $1050.
Thats why I asked and mentioned any rules that you need to adhere to. Couple times i have bought the wrong guns not knowing the rules.
I would love to play the 22lr games but i hardly can get to the 3 clubs with in 30min once a month
i tried getting a 22lr fun match going like a 22lr F-Class /know your limits type of match. With various targets 25-200 yards.
With a $1000 that could be fun. Do you happen to know the targets and distances?
We used to play a 22lr game years ago and honeslty it did not take crazy accuracy to do well.
Targets where 3moa at the smallest and it was all plinker 22s and 3x9x3/4" scopes where fancy!

Thats why I asked and mentioned any rules that you need to adhere to. Couple times i have bought the wrong guns not knowing the rules.
I would love to play the 22lr games but i hardly can get to the 3 clubs with in 30min once a month
i tried getting a 22lr fun match going like a 22lr F-Class /know your limits type of match. With various targets 25-200 yards.
With a $1000 that could be fun. Do you happen to know the targets and distances?
We used to play a 22lr game years ago and honeslty it did not take crazy accuracy to do well.
Targets where 3moa at the smallest and it was all plinker 22s and 3x9x3/4" scopes where fancy!
Afaik it maxes out at 100yds. Smallest target is 1/4" at 30yds. Course of fire changes every month as far as I can tell.

been hearing and reading about tikka forever and don't recall anything negative. but oddly, never met anyone that owned a tikka rifle. maybe you'll be that someone, huh? ;)

I love my Tikka. Smooth bolt. Magazines are easy to load and manipulate. Silly accurate for the price.
The Tikka is also the same form factor of the centerfire Tikka. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available for customizing.
The photo below is about $1200 including the scope.

Attachments

• 0BA7127B-B547-4C95-9B40-47492D674B96.jpeg
    0BA7127B-B547-4C95-9B40-47492D674B96.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 53
I love my Tikka. Smooth bolt. Magazines are easy to load and manipulate. Silly accurate for the price.
The Tikka is also the same form factor of the centerfire Tikka. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available for customizing.

I am looking at doing the same set up with the t1x and krg stock

Good luck choosing............Either one is a winner. I do own CZ 452's, 455, and 550's. Love my Tikka 6.5x55 smooth. But I don't have a Tikka rimfire yet

I have been wanting to play the bolt action 22 games for a while. The way the f***ing chipmunks have over run my yard, I may accelerate this project.

I have the CZ-455 “Tacticool” model. It is a solid gun, but a mass produced gun just like the Tikka. I think the Tikka has a nicer more refined feel to it, but accuracy is similar with either being a solid performer. There have been a number of solid accuracy tests on both, and seems clear that they both are MOA rifles are their worst with many performing much better. Quality ammo goes a long way to making that a reality.

The CZ will have more aftermarket support, for now. Both rifles have chassis options.

I have decided to let my CZ go in the near future, as my Vudoo has taken its spot 😈

I have been waiting on a ambi straight pull 22lr before I buy any more 22s and i need to sell some of my other 22s . All these years I never ran tenex through my glenfield 25. Should be fun. I also need to run some tenex through my TacSol upper.
Love good match ammo but generally its not a big enough improvement when my guns and especially my skills are lacking. On a good day I can pull moa out of my ass with the 513t the 10/22 build . For me I cap off at $11 a box.
Past few years SK standard plus and CCI SV have delivered close enough to moa when I do my part.
These days if I can hold 3moa im happy so ne need for $20 box 22.

SK Standard Plus was Wolf Match Target for years, so it is a good choice. (Wolf shifted to Eley manufacture a few years back.)

Ruger precision 22lr. My friend is a new shooter and she has shot this rifle maybe 4 times. 50 yards. Eley Club.
Group inside the dime size ring were after she slowed down and settled in.
20201103_132144.jpg

I would go with the Tikka. I have a CZ455 Lux that I would love to buy a threaded barrel for but CZ USA decided to suddenly stop selling the barrel sets and their web store has been down for months without explanation.

1604433416167.png

I would go with the Tikka. I have a CZ455 Lux that I would love to buy a threaded barrel for but CZ USA decided to suddenly stop selling the barrel sets and their web store has been down for months without explanation.

View attachment 407432
Just call them. They have been doing phone orders and they do have barrels in stock.

All the reading I've done on both of these and it seems like there are as many Tikka fans as CZ fans. I think they are both about the same, with probably the slight edge going to the CZ straight out of the box with the wood stock. Pull them and put them in a chassis and then all bets are off.

I couldn't decide, so I ended up recently getting both. My son currently has a youth CZ452 and it's too small for him now, so he's getting the 457 for Christmas.

I'm keeping the T1x, and we'll have to have a shoot out to see which is better.

Just call them. They have been doing phone orders and they do have barrels in stock.

I spoke too soon. The webstore is back up and while the 455 barrel sets are out of stock, the 457 sets are in stock and those will work. I'm looking forward to some suppressed plinking from my back deck this winter.

been hearing and reading about tikka forever and don't recall anything negative. but oddly, never met anyone that owned a tikka rifle. maybe you'll be that someone, huh? ;)
Welp, Im finally that guy. Picked one up the other day. Its...plasticky, but I knew that going in. Looks to be well finished (Finnish-ed? [wink])

Bought a Vortex Diamondback Tactical a while ago along with rings, which dont fit. Made for pic rail and the Tikka has an integral 11mm rail along with a drilled and tapped receiver. So now Im researching scope rings and tbh Im not really a scope guy so other than the tube diameter and the 11mm dovetail, I dont really know what I need.

High, med, low?
10-20mm rails?
Are the threads tapped into the receiver a standard dimension? Do the screws come with the rings and will they match up?

Planned on getting into NRL22, so how do I go about figuring out what rings I need? Will I need that extra 10-20mm of MOA to shoot NRL?

Welp, Im finally that guy. Picked one up the other day. Its...plasticky, but I knew that going in. Looks to be well finished (Finnish-ed? [wink])

Bought a Vortex Diamondback Tactical a while ago along with rings, which dont fit. Made for pic rail and the Tikka has an integral 11mm rail along with a drilled and tapped receiver. So now Im researching scope rings and tbh Im not really a scope guy so other than the tube diameter and the 11mm dovetail, I dont really know what I need.

High, med, low?
10-20mm rails?
Are the threads tapped into the receiver a standard dimension? Do the screws come with the rings and will they match up?

Planned on getting into NRL22, so how do I go about figuring out what rings I need? Will I need that extra 10-20mm of MOA to shoot NRL?

Thats just one option. I’m sure there are others. I put a 20 MOA rail on mine.

High, med, low?
10-20mm rails?

I used the DIP 25 moa rail with medium Vortex rings.

Back
Top Bottom