Tikka 308 scope reccomendations

Mudflap621

NES Member
Just purchased a T3x lie in 308 and looking for scope recommendations. It’ll be mostly shot at range out to 300yards but also hunted with couple times a year. Is it worth going with a turret type scope since most of my shooting will be at the range.? Like to stay around 750-1000 new. i don’t want too crazy magnification for the closer hunting situations.

Swfa does get a lot of praise over on rokslide just checked seems like a lot of their scopes are back ordered right now.

Congratulations on your purchase, very nice. If you are going to do a lot of hunting with it, I would suggest capped or locking turrets.

Someone should be along shortly to tell you not to buy anything from communist china.

Don’t buy anything from Communist China.

Jokes aside, I put a Steiner T5Xi on my .308 and have been happy with it. Mine is a 1-5, but I don’t shoot past 100 yards often. Steiner makes high quality optics and they should have something that fits your needs.

Thanks citori I’ll look into them. After reading up a bunch the swfa 3x9 seems like its climbing to the top of the list at the moment

I would seriously look into getting 2 scopes.
If your hunting is inside 300 yards a nice simple 3x10 duplex reticle (for range finding) with covered turrets would be plenty. Zero a few inches high at 100 yards and your minute of deer vitals from 30-300 yards or so.
Then for the bench , get a nice target scope.

now if your hunting from a fixed blind ....well get something you like.

i would try to use as many scopes as you can. Figure out what you really want from the scope and what you will be doing 80% or more with it.
That said I have the sightron 8x32x54 SIII with 2moa reticle , i like it and it lives on 24x as thats where the reticle/moa subtension pans out.
Plus the center aiming dot is only .25 moa so makes for a nice target scope.
This is whats on my "hunting" rifle
But a much older unit.

Last edited:
thanks Mac today i think i decided to run a leupy 3-9 off another rifle for a little while and keep researching and play around with the gun a bit to see if my needs will change(plus i just blew a bunch of money other stuff to outfit this and roll up some ammo lol) . I really dont think i want to be swapping scopes back in forth but i wont rule it out just yet. Im assuming easiest way to do that would be with a pic rail and QD bases? Since we can hunt in MA with the rifle this gun will probably see most of its time on the range so kinda leaning towards something more at home there for dialing and messing around on the range.

thanks Mac today i think i decided to run a leupy 3-9 off another rifle for a little while and keep researching and play around with the gun a bit to see if my needs will change(plus i just blew a bunch of money other stuff to outfit this and roll up some ammo lol) . I really dont think i want to be swapping scopes back in forth but i wont rule it out just yet. Im assuming easiest way to do that would be with a pic rail and QD bases? Since we can hunt in MA with the rifle this gun will probably see most of its time on the range so kinda leaning towards something more at home there for dialing and messing around on the range.
when you see someone at the club with a scope set up , ask some questions and look through as many as you can.
another scope i liked for the price point was Athlon scopes.
i like luey's but the ones I like are at another price point.
also you have the Tx3 lite. I myself would not put a large body heavy scope on that rifle. i would try to keep it "lite" . If the T3 sporter came with a left handed stock I would have my sightron on that

Last edited:
Yeah I’m thinking of sticking in the 3-9 or 4-12 range will be plenty for my needs out to 3-400. I did call a friend that’s into the rifle stuff more we are gonna hook up and he’s got some decent glass I’m going to try out.

I didn't read all the other posts so this may have been addressed, but generally, do not run turrets on a hunting rifle. They can easily be bumped into (brush, gear, etc) and change your point of impact.

Dave

Swarovski scopes are beautiful. This scope is what I have on my Tikka. It only weighs 12 ounces and it’s solidly in your price range. Heavy scopes suck, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.

Yeah I’m thinking of sticking in the 3-9 or 4-12 range will be plenty for my needs out to 3-400. I did call a friend that’s into the rifle stuff more we are gonna hook up and he’s got some decent glass I’m going to try out.
Thats the best way, i like simple reticles , i also like my reticles very black. I seen several that are more gray than black

Back
Top Bottom