Tight AR-15 Magazine Well

Ive got a pre-ban Colt A2 HBAR Sporter lower. The mag well is so tight that it will only accept about 1/2 of my magazines. I have other lowers of other manufacture and have no issue with any of my magazines. Has anyone else run in to a similar issue with a lower?

Im hoping to find a gunsmith who could take a look and possibly mill the interior walls of the mag well. Would that be something an average gunsmith would tackle?

It this was a post-ban lower Id toss it and get another. But its my only pre-ban and I dont want to be keeping track of what mags fit what AR when something goes bump in the night.

Any help much appreciated.

check the magazine catch...it could be that your magazine release button is too tight...is there a screw head protruding from the mag release button? take some thing like the end of a ball point pen and push that button in towards the receiver...this will drive the mag catch out...now turn it 1 whole revolution towards you...then slide it back in and insert a mag...see if you notice a difference

check the magazine catch...it could be that your magazine release button is too tight...is there a screw head protruding from the mag release button? take some thing like the end of a ball point pen and push that button in towards the receiver...this will drive the mag catch out...now turn it 1 whole revolution towards you...then slide it back in and insert a mag...see if you notice a difference

Thanks for the quick response and good thinking, but the mags seem to bind right at the opening and way before they would come in to contact with the mag release. Id say that 1/2 of my mags are tight enough to not to drop free and 1/4 of them are really difficult to seat completely.

Back
Top Bottom