Tierney to introduce new gun bill.

Danor

NES Member
What an idiot.

"The bill, the Personalized Handgun Safety Act of 2013, mandates within two years that newly manufactured handguns be equipped with the technology that allows the guns to only work in the hands of their owners or other authorized users. Manufacturers that do not meet the standards could be held liable. And individuals or businesses selling older handguns must have them retrofitted with personalization technology within three years after the bill is enacted, at the expense of the federal government."

Congressman John Tierney to introduce gun bill - Politics - The Boston Globe

Saw this technology in a 007 movie so clearly, everyone must have it. Can I get the grappling hook option that 007 always has as well for my 1911?

Well he certainly can't introduce an ethics bill. He should be in jail for his crimes.

I cannot find text of the actual bill but I bet dollars to donuts law enforcement are exempt.

He also wants to use money from the civil asset forfeiture fund to pay for it. So he wants to use a shady government slush fund to pay for technology he saw in a movie

[rofl]

So first its "I saw Die Hard 2 so we have to ban plastic guns" and now its "I saw the last James Bond movie so we need biometrics in guns!."

[rofl]

What an idiot.

"The bill, the Personalized Handgun Safety Act of 2013, mandates within two years that newly manufactured handguns be equipped with the technology that allows the guns to only work in the hands of their owners or other authorized users. Manufacturers that do not meet the standards could be held liable. And individuals or businesses selling older handguns must have them retrofitted with personalization technology within three years after the bill is enacted, at the expense of the federal government."

Congressman John Tierney to introduce gun bill - Politics - The Boston Globe

1343081047318.jpg

I demand personalized kitchen knives and baseball bats, because those are used in murders too.

Yes, the tech exists, and based on past failures will most likely also be a failure. A gun would need an embedded chip that would require a long-term power source and programmable interface. If the gun was part of an investigation then LE would need a means to dump the audit logging data off the chip. With this level of functionality, there would also be an interface to flash the chip so it's functionality could be updated and/or changed. This interface is where most failures occur; it's the doorway into the chip's workings. For some great embedded chip reverse-engineering check Nate Lawson's site here: Reverse-engineering a smart meter | root labs rdist also, Elcomsoft, a Russian security company, has found exploitable bugs in the fingerprint reader software embedded in many laptops: UPEK Fingerprint Readers: a Huge Security Hole « Advanced Password Cracking ? Insight

This was one of the "ideas" of the Antis at the rally I visited yesterday.

I pointed out that there were already 300 million privately-owned guns.....what to do about those?

"Cars wear out, and are replaced by new cars, with better tech," was the answer [rolleyes]

They had no idea of the lifespan of a gun. Who here, who's been shooting for more than a few years, has not used a gun approaching the century mark? Oh....they think that this can be retrofitted to existing guns. [rolleyes]

I forget whether I saw someone say this here or another forum or article, but quite frankly - the technology does not exist yet.
For any sort of biometrics (fingerprint, palm identification etc) to operate at a robust enough level that would be satisfactory to the user (shooter) then it would also be ambiguous enough such that it would be basically worthless.

The only thing I can think of that would be reliable enough is an rfid reader in the gun and a tag implanted in my hand. Are we going to require implanting microchips in people? Because thats not some supreme tinfoil hat shit....
Or maybe we could use rfid bracelets. Wait, no - better yet: fashionable gold star patches we could wear on our shirts!

May I suggest he read the protection in lawful commerce in arms act - signed by President Bush. Firearm manufacturers can not be held liable for the misuse of their product..... And any true liberal is quick to talk about how Federal law trumps state law, so in this case we should be quick to remind these moon bats of the same.

I forget whether I saw someone say this here or another forum or article, but quite frankly - the technology does not exist yet.
For any sort of biometrics (fingerprint, palm identification etc) to operate at a robust enough level that would be satisfactory to the user (shooter) then it would also be ambiguous enough such that it would be basically worthless.

The only thing I can think of that would be reliable enough is an rfid reader in the gun and a tag implanted in my hand. Are we going to require implanting microchips in people? Because thats not some supreme tinfoil hat shit....
Or maybe we could use rfid bracelets. Wait, no - better yet: fashionable gold star patches we could wear on our shirts!

heh, then we'd need a whole new set of legislation for the secure and safe storage of RFID bracelets.

God Damn, someone tell me this is the Onion. How do these people get into these positions? This .gov is a joke on so many levels. You can't help but laugh. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom