Ticks, ticks, ticks...

For the cost of a few cans you can buy a quart of concentrated permethrin and make gallons of the stuff.

I buy a 32 oz container of 36.6% and mix 2 oz per gallon of water to get a little over .5% . So for less than $30.00 I can make 16 gallons of spray.

Bob

For the cost of a few cans you can buy a quart of concentrated permethrin and make gallons of the stuff.

I buy a 32 oz container of 36.6% and mix 2 oz per gallon of water to get a little over .5% . So for less than $30.00 I can make 16 gallons of spray.

Bob
Have you noticed any side effects like a nervous tick, headache, oily discharge ?

Just bought a 12 oz bottle at Walmart tonight.
Thanks for the heads up about the stuff.
I got lyme last August and that f***ing sucked, although the antibiotics cleared out my complexion real nice lol
My tell tale sign wasnt the bullseye but the purple splotches with pink rings paired with constantly feeling like I was hit by a truck.
Safe to say I'll be taking extra precautions going to the Berkshires this weekend.

I went to NH July 29, and came home with Lyme and pneumonia! At least the same antibiotic worked for both, but I lost 2 weeks of going in the sun during this summer. :-(

I never even saw the tick. It could have been from before. One thing for sure was, I had the chills Saturday night like you read about, and was out of work 3 days. Worst I felt in a long time.

Have you noticed any side effects like a nervous tick, headache, oily discharge ?

Nope. All is well here.

21423_CEB-_F483-4_B96-_BF1_E-5_E16_C7848_C55.gif

I went to NH July 29, and came home with Lyme and pneumonia! At least the same antibiotic worked for both, but I lost 2 weeks of going in the sun during this summer. :-(

I never even saw the tick. It could have been from before. One thing for sure was, I had the chills Saturday night like you read about, and was out of work 3 days. Worst I felt in a long time.

Ticks are nothing to fool with these days. They can really mess you up. Glad you caught it early.

I haven’t had a tick on me in a decade thanks to the permethrin.

Bob

Been using permetherin with great success.

Recently heard of someone using it on their dog. Sawyer brand suggests it too.

Based on my with my personal experience with the product, I'm intrigued. I have concerns, such as what if the dog decides it's time to lick himself clean before it dries.

Any experience?

Been using permetherin with great success.

Recently heard of someone using it on their dog. Sawyer brand suggests it too.

Based on my with my personal experience with the product, I'm intrigued. I have concerns, such as what if the dog decides it's time to lick himself clean before it dries.

Any experience?
My opinion is follow the instructions. If it doesn't have instruction for application on a dog......don't apply it to your dog.

Well.....got my first tic bite in years! Wasn't even out hunting! Woken up this morning with a pain under my left armpit and don't ya know.......a dog tic embedded in me. Probably came in in one of the dogs. Hurts like aa bastard too! My wife removed it the correct way but I have a red blotch around the bite area so I'm off to the urgent Care. Assuming I'll get a round of antibiotics.

Strange that the area is so painful......never had a tic bite before that hurt at all.....this thing is down right painful!

Edit....Just what I expected....just got done at the clinic....shot in the ass of doxycycline.....and a 5 day round.

Last edited:
I just bought some Sawyer Insect Repellent (0.5% permethrin) and it says lasts 42 days or 6 washings. I don't recall that from prior use but I had always planned on a full season if not washed often. Only 6 weeks? WTF???

[EDIT] I just checked and it's 42 days of UV exposure. That's much better - 6 weeks of active use vs hanging in the closet!

In 2016, Consumer Reports tested Ex Officio & LLBean clothing after 0/25 washes and found LLBean better, but advise Deet use as well as permethrin clothing (as does CDC). The manufacturers use a "knock-down" test instead of a bite test, wherein a lot on military users might be wearing permethrin-treated clothing and the local population of mosquitoes gets depleted after time. I'd rather not get bit than just kill those that bite me!

I buy the concentrate and mix it to .8%. That will make 8 gallons or so for less than $30.00. I treat at the outset of the season and once mid season when I switch out to warmer clothing. I always keep a treated set of clothing around for fishing or anything else that comes along.

For flying vampires I use a Thermacell as necessary.

Bob

I had one partially imbedded in me last week after walking my dog on paved surfaces. Must have had it in my yard or in some of the grassy areas along the harbor. Just insane.

Yup, ticks are bad this year up at our camp. The tick key got used frequently. Here's one I pulled off me Sunday. The head wasn't embedded all the way yet.

tick key.jpg

As I was driving down 93 later on, I found another one crawling up my damn leg. Pulled over, got rid of it and was on my way. The kids got a couple as well. I need to treat the yard up there.

For summer hiking and camping etc I can't say enough about treating clothing with permethrin. I got through the whole Turkey season and didn't find a single one on me, the wife or my son. It works.

To the question about dogs, yes, you can spray permethrin on your dogs. There is a water based brand called Martins, which is 10%. 1 gallon of water to 2/3 ounces of Martins. I'll spray the dogs legs maybe once a months, in conjunction with a Seresto collar, I haven't seen an embedded tick in years. Do it on a warm day and let it dry naturally in the sun.
There are also pre-mixed solutions usually labelled "for horses and dogs".

Do note that Permethrin is severely poisonous to cats.

Just pulled two off me at work after being outside a total of a literal ten minutes. They’re putting in a work order today for a spraying so that’s nice.
Apparently, according to the internet, they like bright colored clothing the most. Makes sense as I found them all on my khaki pants.

I don’t really recall having any tics on me but after spending all day in nature last Friday found one imbedded pretty upload_2019-6-9_15-8-54.jpegdeep on Saturday morning.
Pulled the bustard deer tic out and called my primary doctor.
Picked up IC DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE 100MG for two days just in case.
Still don’t know if it’s Lyme disease though.

I’ve dosed myself with repellent.
Used one for the skin and another for the clothing only.
Probably should of treated the irresistible love handles:)

Ticks are nothing to fool with these days. They can really mess you up. Glad you caught it early.

I haven’t had a tick on me in a decade thanks to the permethrin.

Bob

So true! I now have long term Lyme and Bartonella. Working with a Lyme doc to get rid of it. The massive quantities of ABX got it under control but I still have fatigue, and joint pain. The Bartonella affects my hands and feet. I thought it was just from working but I got a specialized blood test to confirm.

Be aware that a Lyme coinfection can show up within 1-2 weeks and there are a variety of symptoms. The Lyme can take up to a month to show symptoms.

Any tick can carry it. I took dog ticks off 2 clients last week and one already has a bullseye from it. Call the doc for any tick you take off of yourself even if you don't think it was on that long. One bad bite can ruin your life.

Back
Top Bottom