• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ticks, ticks, ticks...

We have a bunch of wild turkeys strolling around all the time through our yard. Apparently they each eat 100 ticks a day. I for one welcome those tasty birds on my property.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I haven't seen any on my dogs, using Seresto. I'm curious what others using the Seresto collar are seeing this year?

I just put Seresto collars on my two shepherds yesterday. I've been pulling ticks off them for the last month. I'll know this weekend how well they work for large dogs.

is it just me or are there more and more every year lately?

My wife and I have talked about our youth, we both grew up playing in the woods, her in Northern Maine, and me in Natick. Neither of us ever remember ticks, or Lyme, and this was early and mid 80s. I don't understand how this became such the issue it is nowadays.

My wife and I have talked about our youth, we both grew up playing in the woods, her in Northern Maine, and me in Natick. Neither of us ever remember ticks, or Lyme, and this was early and mid 80s. I don't understand how this became such the issue it is nowadays.

639cc6cddb61c5f68d2a7385b100e6d6.jpg

Lots of things aren't necessarily more common, they are just better diagnosed

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

DDT. It use to control ticks but then they outlawed it.

I have spent my whole life in the woods. Believe me, I've had ticks on me dug in and or just walking on me. Deer ticks, the ones that cause lyme disease and dog ticks AKA wood ticks, the ones that cause rocky mountain fever and now a couple of other illnesses.
I give my dogs NEXGUARD. Its a chewable flea and tick preventative that works better than anything I've tried over the years. Watch out for Frontline, its garbage and WalMArt got sued for selling a chinese counterfeit that turned out to be vegetable oil.
You can get chewable NEXGUARD at a Vet for around $22. And the best thing about it is your dog can go in the water anytime without washing it off.

For me I use baby oil and the 40% deet deepwoods spray. Ticks HATE baby oil! Rub it around your ankles, arms and neck.
Spray your shoes, boots pants and sleeves with deepwoods. Check yourself every night for ticks. If you find one dug in remove it by grabbing it just behind the head with tweezers. Dont burn it or put baby oil on it, it could puke into your bloodstream.

Remove it with tweezers and save it. Put it in a baggie and in your freezer. Rub some antibiotic paste onto the bite area. If you develop a rash or infection or feel ill take it and yourself to the doc.

But the most important thing is to check yourself for ticks every night or morning. A deer tick needs to be dug in for 24 hours to pass on Lyme disease. Look for a large red ring (bulls eye ring) around a bit. http://hardinmd.lib.uiowa.edu/pictures22/cdc/9875_lores.jpg
That may be Lyme.

Flu systems may be Rocky Mountain Fever. Always keep the tick in a container in your freezer until you are sure its safe to get rid of it. This will help the doc diagnose the problem.

"A deer tick needs to be dug in for 24 hours to pass on Lyme disease. "

Newer research says that is not the case so it's best not to count on it. I got it from one that was on me for less than 3 hours. I didn't keep it because it hadn't been on me that long. There are also other lyme co-infections that are nasty. Lyme can take a month to show symptoms.

My Lyme doc told me about this site from UMass Amherst. Inexpensive testing if you get a bite.

https://www.tickreport.com/

DDT. It use to control ticks but then they outlawed it.

I have spent my whole life in the woods. Believe me, I've had ticks on me dug in and or just walking on me. Deer ticks, the ones that cause lyme disease and dog ticks AKA wood ticks, the ones that cause rocky mountain fever and now a couple of other illnesses.
I give my dogs NEXGUARD. Its a chewable flea and tick preventative that works better than anything I've tried over the years. Watch out for Frontline, its garbage and WalMArt got sued for selling a chinese counterfeit that turned out to be vegetable oil.
You can get chewable NEXGUARD at a Vet for around $22. And the best thing about it is your dog can go in the water anytime without washing it off.

For me I use baby oil and the 40% deet deepwoods spray. Ticks HATE baby oil! Rub it around your ankles, arms and neck.
Spray your shoes, boots pants and sleeves with deepwoods. Check yourself every night for ticks. If you find one dug in remove it by grabbing it just behind the head with tweezers. Dont burn it or put baby oil on it, it could puke into your bloodstream.

Remove it with tweezers and save it. Put it in a baggie and in your freezer. Rub some antibiotic paste onto the bite area. If you develop a rash or infection or feel ill take it and yourself to the doc.

But the most important thing is to check yourself for ticks every night or morning. A deer tick needs to be dug in for 24 hours to pass on Lyme disease. Look for a large red ring (bulls eye ring) around a bit. http://hardinmd.lib.uiowa.edu/pictures22/cdc/9875_lores.jpg
That may be Lyme.

Flu systems may be Rocky Mountain Fever. Always keep the tick in a container in your freezer until you are sure its safe to get rid of it. This will help the doc diagnose the problem.
Plus think of how many more deer there are in the northeast now than there used to be. More deer, more ticks.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

"A deer tick needs to be dug in for 24 hours to pass on Lyme disease. "

Newer research says that is not the case so it's best not to count on it. I got it from one that was on me for less than 3 hours. I didn't keep it because it hadn't been on me that long. There are also other lyme co-infections that are nasty. Lyme can take a month to show symptoms.

My Lyme doc told me about this site from UMass Amherst. Inexpensive testing if you get a bite.

https://www.tickreport.com/

Less than 3 hours? I suspect you had one on you before the one you think gave it to you. Or, you had lyme before you thought you got it.
If its true that you got lyme disease in less than 3 hours I'm going to start bathing in deet before I go outside again.

Less than 3 hours? I suspect you had one on you before the one you think gave it to you. Or, you had lyme before you thought you got it.
If its true that you got lyme disease in less than 3 hours I'm going to start bathing in deet before I go outside again.

Agreed.

Still not a single tick with the seresto collar. We went through a large field with deep grass this weekend then around the woods, no ticks.

with all this tick talk I'm thinking of having the yard sprayed. Never did it before but the kids are out there constantly. Not interested in them getting a tick. Otherwise I will have to have them take a flea and tick bath....lol

Found the first tick on our female who goes to the park three times a week. All dried up, flat & dead. It fell right off when I was scratching her neck.

This year seems particularly bad. I pulled a total of 5 off yesterday between two dogs. Found out later that my wife hadn't been keeping up with the Advantix [thinking]

They're both Lyme vaccinated but I'd prefer the ticks die after biting in rather than getting their fill and roaming around the house.

I haven't seen any on my dogs, using Seresto. I'm curious what others using the Seresto collar are seeing this year?

Used it last year before the collar tons of ticks. Put the collar on within a few days NO MORE TICS! This year we didn't Waite we put the collar on early April. So far not one tic attached. Found two "one per dog" crawling but not attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, ever since I had the bad round of it a few years earlier I always check. Long story short I had worked all day on a Saturday, so no outside time. Sunday afternoon I went to a friend house to help look for something in the woods and a field. I was there less than 3 hours. Stupidly did not tuck my pant legs into my socks. Brushed off any ticks I found before getting into the car to come home. Stripped down by the back door (cause no neighbors) and found it attached to my calf. Removed it and went on with life because of the 24 hour rule. Until it bullseyed and the joint pain started.

I have a really good Lyme doc and he said new research is showing that it can happen. I would know if there was another bite somewhere on me since they usually itch worse than mosquito bites when I get them. I keep doxycycline around and will start myself on a 30 day round if I find a bite where I didn't remove the tick.

Some dr's also say if you remove a tick and immediately take one double dose of doxycycline that it can help you not get Lyme if the tick was infected and passed it on.

Some dr's also say if you remove a tick and immediately take one double dose of doxycycline that it can help you not get Lyme if the tick was infected and passed it on.[/QUOTE said:
This is true, they might give you a one time large dose and that's it.Rather then poison you for 30 days. Both my mom and brother had bites and took the pills for one day(2 Doxy), have been without issues ever since.
Another thing to consider is that some of them are even smaller than a pin needle's head. Had one on me and could not even see it very well, it was that small, but I have felt it first.
Last but not least, check this page out.
http://www.oes.org/html/how_2_identify_different_ticks.html

I'm not getting good results with Seresto at all! I've had callers on both my shepherds since the beginning of May. I bought the "for large" dog collars as they both weigh about 90lbs. They spend maybe we hours a day out in a mowed 3 acre yard and I'm pulling ticks off everyday. Some new riders and some engorged that are in the collar area. I purchased them from Amazon....I disn't notice if they had an expiration date or not but I think I'll give them a call and see about getting my money back.

I'm not getting good results with Seresto at all! I've had callers on both my shepherds since the beginning of May. I bought the "for large" dog collars as they both weigh about 90lbs. They spend maybe we hours a day out in a mowed 3 acre yard and I'm pulling ticks off everyday. Some new riders and some engorged that are in the collar area. I purchased them from Amazon....I disn't notice if they had an expiration date or not but I think I'll give them a call and see about getting my money back.

I still have yet to see a tick on three dogs regularly outside in fields and brush.

We using the bravecto on our 9month lab. Works good so far. Way better than the frontline we were using on our golden.

I've pulled a couple off so far but they were all dead.

Although I pull a live one off me or the kids almost everyday. We're in a pretty wooded area though. The field across the street is a no-go zone. It's infested like crazy. 1 minute walk in there a it's guarrented to pickup 4-5.

They just discovered a whole new way that ticks can mess you up. [shocked]

A Tick Bite Could Make You Allergic to Meat—and It's Spreading

As people encounter more ticks during the summer months, their chances for getting bitten by the allergy-carrying Lone Star tick increases.

Alpha-Gal may sound empowering, but the nickname, short for galactose-alpha-1, 3-galactose, is a sugar molecule that might just cause you to become allergic to meat.

The sugar molecule is spread from the Lone Star tick bite, named for the Texas-shaped marking on its back. Once bitten by a Lone Star tick, the body's immune system is rewired.

"You're walking through the woods, and that tick has had a meal of cow blood or mammal blood," explained Cosby Stone, an allergy and immunology fellow at Vanderbilt University. "The tick, carrying Alpha-Gal, bites you and activates your allergy immune system."

From this, your body creates Alpha-Gal antibodies and, from that point on, the body is wired to fight Alpha-Gal sugar molecules. The majority of people who develop Alpha-Gal allergy syndrome realize their illness after eating meat, which is rife with Alpha-Gal. The sugar is also present in some medications that use gelatins as stabilizers.

"There's a time delay in the reaction," said Stone, which accounts for why some people don't always immediately realize they're have a reaction. "It [the Alpha-Gal] has to first travel through your gastrointestinal tract to be released. Hours later, patients wake up with hives, shortness of breath, vomiting, and diarrhea."

In rare cases, patients have to be admitted to the ICU.

"Some patients have had to be given life support because their blood pressure is so low that they're in eminent danger of dying," said Stone, who has treated those suffering a reaction.

"Most patients don't know what they have," he explained. It often takes repeated allergic reactions for people to link their diet to their outbreak. Repeated exposure to tick bites can also worsen the severity of a reaction. Those who developed more Alpha-Gal antibodies from more exposure to ticks saw the most serious symptoms.

The allergy so far has treatments for side effects but no cure or vaccine.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/tick-bite-meat-allergy-spreading-spd

Can you imagine not being able to ever eat meat again because you were bitten by a tick ???

the-scream-edvard-munch-homer-simpson.jpeg

I found a tick crawling up my leg yesterday, inside my pants. I cut it into three pieces. 20 minutes later I felt a tickle behind my ear and sure enough it's another one. Cut that one up too.

I WORK IN A F*CKING OFFICE!!!

Can you imagine not being able to ever eat meat again because you were bitten by a tick ???

the-scream-edvard-munch-homer-simpson.jpeg

Kind of ironic... going out hunting for deer... harvesting the deer... getting bitten by a tick on deer developing Alpha-Gal... not being able to eat deer. Nature is very cruel.

I just dug the first tick of the summer out of my leg. Took 200mg of Doxy. Hoping I got it in time and don't get sick......again. I had Lyme and Anaplasmosis a few years ago and it took months to get rid of the Lyme because the docs only gave me 10 days of Doxy on the first round.

Just pulled off the first ever tick from my 5 year old puggle. She had been rolling around scratching her face and then I noticed a darker spot at the base of the whisker on her cheek. Big dog tick. First time she’s had a tick since we’ve had her so this really shows how bad it is this year.

We were very complacent thinking she wouldn’t get ticks since were not in a wooded area so we didn’t give her anything. Bad idea. Will be contacting the vet tomorrow to get Nexgard and probably a Seresto collar. Anyone else using these for their dogs?

I use Nexgard but have thought about switching to Seresto for my two Brittanies. I am not a fan of feeding the dog something so toxic but it does work whereas I am not sure I have 100% faith in the Seresto, especially after swimming. I have two Brittanies, which we run off leash in the woods often. It hasn't been so bad yet where I am in but getting worse. Last year we pulled off 137 between the two dogs after one run, that was the worst. Not sure the Seresto would have been up to the task but the Nexgard killed the few we missed.

Back
Top Bottom