Ticks from the range

Hey guys, make sure you check yourselves over really good after a day out at the range (or outside). I was at WSC for about an hour today, pulled 2 ticks off myself when I got home.

Speaking from experience...avoid Lyme Disease, it suuuuucks

Ticks have definite preferences as to who they like and who they don't.
I have a buddy who is a freakin' Tick Magnet.
We can both go ATV riding through the woods, he'll get back covered with ticks and I won't have a one.
He's the only one I know who can go deep sea fishing and come back with ticks. [laugh]

Hey, Zap. I think it might be the alcohol.[smile]

Guy I knew used to go camping and while everybody else was getting bitten by flying insects, he was never bothered. I think it was because his blood alcohol never got below 0.20.

Mosquitoes are much less attracted to me, and I've got very few ticks. I think it may be the very low amounts of sweeteners in my diet.

Hey guys, make sure you check yourselves over really good after a day out at the range (or outside). I was at WSC for about an hour today, pulled 2 ticks off myself when I got home.

Speaking from experience...avoid Lyme Disease, it suuuuucks

I just got back from WSC - thanks for the heads up!

it does seem to be quite the bumper crop for them this spring. I've been lucky, but have had other folks pulling them off at the range.

Was down in Taunton the other day. Was picking up my brass and felt something bite my leg. Looks down and the mofo is trying to dig into my skin. Picked him out and tossed him across the field wish I had my lighter on me.

Other than "kill it with fire" [smile] ...is there any good way to get rid of them??

If I'm out and about and don't have easy access to fire, I typically squish them with my leatherman. You can smash them between rocks too. I'm not really a live and let live guy when it comes to ticks.

Just a note to say that if you pull a tick off you should apply some bacitracin or neosporin to the site, and also mosquito repellent OFF repels ticks.
This is from off.com
OFF! Deep Woods® repellents provide long-lasting protection against biting insects, especially in heavily wooded areas. They repel ticks that may carry Lyme disease, mosquitoes, black flies, sand flies, chiggers, fleas, gnats, and no-see-ums. Without the constant bother of insects, outdoor excursions become more enjoyable.

I usually pick up a shell casing and cut them in half. Every wooded area it seems is infested this year, something to do with the spring thaw from all the snow and recent rains that gave the population a boost. Sippican in Rochester is getting sprayed this weekend. Its so bad there that people have been finding them on their range bags. I must have killed about 20 in the last 2 weekends I went.

check your dogs too mine got off leash and messing around in the brush a couple of weeks ago and i pulled about 20 of them off of her it was terrible

Ironically,
Ben's 100 Max Deet Tick & Insect Repellent while in the woods and Off deepwoods 40% deet for most everything else.

the effects of lyme disease are > then the side effects of Deet.

Deet wins

I "fertalized" my yard with inceticide that supposidely kills ticks. I don't like polluting the world, but I have 2 young boys and it break my heart if one got Lyme. And I Deet-up pretty heavy before I do yard work.

Last spring was too hot and dry (remember the brown lawns?), but I didn't find a tick all summer! It was great.

I "fertalized" my yard with inceticide that supposidely kills ticks. I don't like polluting the world, but I have 2 young boys and it break my heart if one got Lyme. And I Deet-up pretty heavy before I do yard work.

Last spring was too hot and dry (remember the brown lawns?), but I didn't find a tick all summer! It was great.

Yup. We're gonna pay with the Revenge of the Ticks this year.
Damn snow and rain [angry]

Is there any good news on the tick battle front? Any?

If they brought back the Lyme vaccine I would get it. It would be a had choice giving it to my 11 & 12 year old boys though.

Apologies for slightly OT -- we're going camping in Pawtuckaway State Park, NH for the 4th of July. Should we be worried about ticks/lyme?

if you burn or squeeze the tickm off of you the last thing it does is throws up into the bite infecting you with the disease of the day. The way to get rid of them is to use very smal prongs where you can grab them right at the bite point and pull them off you. My 12 yr old boyscout taught us that the first time we found one on our dog. Googled it too.

Back
Top Bottom