• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thumbs up for Mossberg Customer Service

allen-1

NES Member
I bought a Mossberg 930 semi-auto shotgun a while ago. It ran fine for a couple hundred rounds, then didn't run fine. Started giving me serious feeding issues.

I had two very reputable gunsmiths work on it at home, one in Georgia and one in South Carolina, and neither could get it to run right. Between them having it in their shops for a couple months each, and me bouncing back and forth, I haven't had this gun working for more than a year now.

So, since Mossberg is in New Haven - I brought it up with me this summer. Called them, explained the situation and they gave me an RA. Turns out that they do their repair work in Texas - so much for me dropping it off down the street...

About a week after I shipped it out, I got a phone call from Mossberg. They wanted to know exactly what was wrong with the gun. I kinda shrugged, 'cause I'd already given this information - but - went through it again.

The next day I got an email with a tracking number. What? Yeah. They called me Tuesday afternoon asking for a description of the problem, and shipped it back to me Wednesday morning.

I took it to the range Saturday and ran 50 shells through it. Flawless. Not a single issue. Ran the first 10 shells through it as fast as I could pull the trigger, just pumping the rounds into the berm. Shot the next forty rounds at the plate rack, shooting just a slight bit slower.

Brought it back Sunday and let two friends play with it. Ran another two boxes of shells through it. These aren't "high-brass" rounds, they're crap from Wally World. Not a single issue feeding, extracting, anything. It functioned perfectly.

And as a bonus, I've been loading using my left hand to feed in the shells; Joe showed me how to roll the shotgun up onto my shoulder and load using my right hand. I've seen it before, but it never made sense. With the porting job that one of the gunsmiths did, I can do this now - and it's fast. Reloading is the time suck in 3gun; (besides missing, of course)

Aaand que the mossberg haters that say it never should have broken in the first place in 3.....2.....1...

Glad it works now. What did they replace or repair?

Check out Brian Enos forum, there’s a very long thread over there about the 930 and the problems with it.

I was looking at getting one a while back but stayed away after reading it. There’s a company called ore gear or Oregon gear something like that, who makes aftermarket parts for the 930 enhance reliability

I bought a Mossberg 930 semi-auto shotgun a while ago. It ran fine for a couple hundred rounds, then didn't run fine. Started giving me serious feeding issues.

I had two very reputable gunsmiths work on it at home, one in Georgia and one in South Carolina, and neither could get it to run right. Between them having it in their shops for a couple months each, and me bouncing back and forth, I haven't had this gun working for more than a year now.

So, since Mossberg is in New Haven - I brought it up with me this summer. Called them, explained the situation and they gave me an RA. Turns out that they do their repair work in Texas - so much for me dropping it off down the street...

About a week after I shipped it out, I got a phone call from Mossberg. They wanted to know exactly what was wrong with the gun. I kinda shrugged, 'cause I'd already given this information - but - went through it again.

The next day I got an email with a tracking number. What? Yeah. They called me Tuesday afternoon asking for a description of the problem, and shipped it back to me Wednesday morning.

I took it to the range Saturday and ran 50 shells through it. Flawless. Not a single issue. Ran the first 10 shells through it as fast as I could pull the trigger, just pumping the rounds into the berm. Shot the next forty rounds at the plate rack, shooting just a slight bit slower.

Brought it back Sunday and let two friends play with it. Ran another two boxes of shells through it. These aren't "high-brass" rounds, they're crap from Wally World. Not a single issue feeding, extracting, anything. It functioned perfectly.

And as a bonus, I've been loading using my left hand to feed in the shells; Joe showed me how to roll the shotgun up onto my shoulder and load using my right hand. I've seen it before, but it never made sense. With the porting job that one of the gunsmiths did, I can do this now - and it's fast. Reloading is the time suck in 3gun; (besides missing, of course)
Glad you got it fixed.

I had a problem with my old polished stainless 500 a number of years ago. It kept dropping shells when I pumped the action - I think it was the shell stop?? Can't remember.

Anyway, when I gave them the serial number they told me "sir that's a very old shotgun you have". Long story short, they replaced the shell stop AND installed a new stainless bolt all for free. I thought since it was out of warranty I'd be paying but apparently not. Great service.

Check out Brian Enos forum, there’s a very long thread over there about the 930 and the problems with it.

I was looking at getting one a while back but stayed away after reading it. There’s a company called ore gear or Oregon gear something like that, who makes aftermarket parts for the 930 enhance reliability

I have some of those parts in this gun. Everything I've read about the 930 says it's hit or miss. Either they're great or they suck. Mine was good from the factory for the first couple hundred rounds - then it just quit feeding right. Frustrated the hell out of me. Both of the gunsmiths that I took it to are very reputable, and neither of them could get it running right. It's running beautifully now. The only cloud on the horizon is the possibility that I'll run another couple hundred rounds through it, and I'll have issues again.

I need to rethink/study how to clean/service it properly to keep it running like it is - because right now it's a phenomenal shotgun.

Back
Top Bottom