• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thumbhole stocks for rifles?

weerwolv

NES Member
Hi all,

Is a thumbhole stock considered a pistol grip in Massachusetts? In California, they state it in their AWB laws but in MA it doesn't mention it.

Trying to figure out if its considered an evil part..

Thanks in advance...

ATF seems to consider the thumbhole stock from what I have read in letters in the Saiga forum a pistol grip for the parts count purposes. (Dont kill the messenger!) Now they could be mistaken and over reaching in their letters but I dont want to spend thousands to find out and the way things are going, even common sense does not always prevail in our justice system.

You can research a lot of information as well as actual letters from the ATF on just that question and subject matter. I was very interested because I wanted to put one on my Saiga.

MA mirrors fed AWB, which says that thumbholes are OK, and
do not count as evil parts on a rifle.

The CA Roberti-Roos AWB is its own miasma of garbage and
is nothing like any other state's AWB. It has its own set of
rules which are vastly different from most other bans.

-Mike

I did put one of those skeleton stocks from Gibson on my Saiga 762 and it was one of the best things ever. Couple it with a new front guard and it mahes an awesome weapon plus a real joy to shoot and fits like a glove with no mods.

gene is correct. according to the BATFE a thumbhole stock is considered a pistol grip.
I have never seen anything in writing that said the old Fed AWB disagreed with them.

drgrant is also correct, MA= old AWB. ergo, I'm not so sure they're legal here.

ETA without adding other 922r parts

The stock from gilberts is made by Izsmash Saiga. I have seen them being sold with that stock on them in more than a few gun shops here in MA.

The typical saiga hunter has only one evil feature with the pistol grip considered in the stock it is still technically not considered assault weapon since it needs 2 features. Add another evil feature and your in 922 territory.[grin]

If you plan on adding the other evil feature since Mass assault ban mirrors the Fed's you may want to pick up a new US made trigger group, frontgrip and maybe gas piston depending on how far you go with it. US mags can be three parts if you decide to go that ways as well.

In either case if your talking Saiga, the stock from Gilberts is a great feature for both control and comfort. I do have a tall bud, long arms and he did say it didnt feel long enough for him.

I am no lawyer or expert but since your AR has a grip already, I would think its just a one for one trade on pistol grips.

Back
Top Bottom