• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Threat of Plastic Guns Rises by Devlin Barrett at WSJ

As long as they can only shoot plastic bullets, we'll still call them toys.

They stopped releasing TSA screening test reports after the failure rate for guns and grenades was found to be high. Metal guns and metal grenades.

This is an obvious ploy to renew a useless law with added anti-gun BS.

The threat of a plastic gun one day infiltrating my collection of firearms is a very real one...

We have to make a law to keep people from making guns that aren't seen by metal detectors because then they might use them to kill people, which is already illegal. They can't even see the flaw in their logic. It's sad and fascinating all at the same time

New tests to be released by federal firearms agents Wednesday found that all-plastic guns made by 3-D printers are dangerous and can explode in users hands, Devlin Barrett reports on the News Hub

[rolleyes]

We have to make a law to keep people from making guns that aren't seen by metal detectors because then they might use them to kill people, which is already illegal. They can't even see the flaw in their logic. It's sad and fascinating all at the same time

wait, they already passed that law. Some bullshit about requiring a certain amount of metal in any firearm.

wait, they already passed that law. Some bullshit about requiring a certain amount of metal in any firearm.

True it is illegal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undetectable_Firearms_Act

However, it's not like a criminal to obey any laws. Then again, how could there possibly be no metal involved? The polymers involved are barely strong enough, though they will get better. What the sheep should really be "afraid" of, is home manufacturing via metal sintering. Though I guess they'd piss their pants if they knew about 80% lowers too haha.

COMPLETE idiocy because they will only work with a metallic cartridge, so they are by no means "undetectable."

A job shop made an m1911 from metal 3D printed parts. 30 of the 50+ parts were printed! including the barrel.

....so if you have a million dollar metal printer and want to go ahead and make a $20,000 3D metal printed gun, knock yourself out!

Last edited:
I still don't understand the difference between a 3d printer and a cnc

3d printer
Mojo-3D-printer_Engineer-removing-part.jpg

milling machine
1278670369_104295968_1-Pictures-of--2005-HAAS-VF-3-YT-CNC-MILL-10K-RPM-LOW-HOURS-1278670369.jpg

Both operate off of CNC (computer numeric code) to make their parts. One prints with a media, the other mills away material.

One of them is a tool used to modify some stock material to shape it into some more useful shape, and the other is an OMG We're ALL GOING TO DIE!!

You decide which is which.

Im not a expert on the systems but can say the simplest way to explain the difference is a cnc machine removes the material and a 3d printer adds material,

also because a 3d printer can build from the ground up there is the ability to build a complex and complete product with everything in place vs a cnc machine that can't cut in parts that are internal

Last edited:
It's an imaginary threat. I can't believe my boss posted this shit on the board at work.

All I can keep thinking about is that stupid scene in DieHard II about the porcelain Glock...

Back
Top Bottom