• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Threaded" muzzle brake on post ban gun?

I am interested in turning one of my pre-ban uppers into a post ban upper. To do this I need to pin a muzzle brake on. Thats the easy part, done it before.

My question lies in my choice of muzzle brake. I want to use an AAC one. Two problems I forsee are 1. it is designed to mount a supressor, 2. it has some threading on it.

As I read the law I am good. The law states threaded barrel, the threads are on the "muzzle device", to it says for mounting a "flash supressor", this one is designed to mount a supressor.

Link to muzzle brake:
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=149#pid=152

The other one I am interested in is a sure fire unit, no threading, but still designed to mount a supressor.

Link:
http://www.surefire.com/MB556K-Muzzle-BrakeAdapter

What is your thought on this?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like your skirting the letter of the law but not the spirit. If you've got threads designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, you're on pretty thin ice, even if they're on the brake instead of the barrel.

Sounds like your skirting the letter of the law but not the spirit. If you've got threads designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, you're on pretty thin ice, even if they're on the brake instead of the barrel.

The threads on the brake aren't for a flash suppressor....they're designed for AAC and SF's (respectively) sound suppressors. I've never seen any sort of ban on sound suppressor QD mounts.

Even though the purpose of permanently attaching a muzzle brake is to prevent the use of the barrel threads and/or cover them over, permanently attaching the brake to the barrel and it becomes one single unit, (which would be the barrel).

The threads on the brake aren't for a flash suppressor....they're designed for AAC and SF's (respectively) sound suppressors. I've never seen any sort of ban on sound suppressor QD mounts.

Really depends if they are threads or not...again law says threads, so for example HK 3 lug barrels are OK. Also think you will find virtually all (if not all) sound suppressors will also be considered flash suppressors...

Really depends if they are threads or not...again law says threads, so for example HK 3 lug barrels are OK. Also think you will find virtually all (if not all) sound suppressors will also be considered flash suppressors...

Agreed - Sound suppressors = flash suppressors. Not going to pass the sniff test.

Well two good points have come up. One the "Muzzle brake" becoming part of the barrel, and two a supressor being a flash hider.

The one about the brake becoming part of the barrel. I had thought about this but did not see any language in the law that makes this clear. I am not doubting any one, but could some one please link to information to back this.

As far as a supressor being a flash hider, thought of this too. My thoughts were that while yes a supressor is the best flash hider you can get it is a very different device in the eyes of the BATFE. The law seems to have clear language about "flash hiders" not supressors. After all supressors are illegal, while a child can buy a flash hider. I think the idea of the law was to stop mounting of easily available flash hiders and supressors were over looked.

As far as a supressor being a flash hider, thought of this too. My thoughts were that while yes a supressor is the best flash hider you can get it is a very different device in the eyes of the BATFE. The law seems to have clear language about "flash hiders" not supressors. After all supressors are illegal, while a child can buy a flash hider. I think the idea of the law was to stop mounting of easily available flash hiders and supressors were over looked.
You are wrong about supressors, #1 they are not illegal for most of the country they are simply regulated (yes even in MA there is a very limited group that can have them).
#2. if a string can be an MG and a soda bottle cap a supressor, I'd bet that BATF might consider a sound suppressor to also be a flash suppressor...

Hi Guys, sorry to resurrecting an old thread, but I have a couple of questions regarding a postban AR. I am thinking about purchasing this AR. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y . I want to put a flash suppressor/muzzle brake on it. I found a smith that threads barrels and pins muzzle accessories. I'm wondering if this is possible to do on a postban upper. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi Guys, sorry to resurrecting an old thread, but I have a couple of questions regarding a postban AR. I am thinking about purchasing this AR. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y . I want to put a flash suppressor/muzzle brake on it. I found a smith that threads barrels and pins muzzle accessories. I'm wondering if this is possible to do on a postban upper. Thanks in advance.

Mike

You can't use a flash suppressor as that an "evil feature", but you can use a muzzle brake/compensator as long as it is permanently attached.

Back
Top Bottom