Threaded barrel on a shotgun

DickWanner

Banned
I know that a threaded barrel violates AWB on rifles, but was mine needlessly chopped off as it's a shotgun and the shotgun AWB doesn't mention threaded barrels anywhere?

I feel bad now for pointing that out to you. It pisses me off when the people who are supposed to be on our side (Gun Dealers) end up screwing gun owners because they cant be bothered to learn/understand the laws which govern the business they have chosen.

I feel bad now for pointing that out to you. It pisses me off when the people who are supposed to be on our side (Gun Dealers) end up screwing gun owners because they cant be bothered to learn/understand the laws which govern the business they have chosen.

*sigh*

No, I'm glad you did. I think I'm going to take a trip up there and have a little talk with them about ruining people's firearms. If anything now the value of my shotgun is down because of this and they charged me $30 to do it.

Anyone got a link to the MGL for AWB shotgun stuff?

Well, if I deemed it totally neccessary I could still have threads cut onto the barrel right?

Last edited:
Well, I'm no expert either, but I think the issue with threads on the outside is that you could in theory attach a muzzle break, or silencer? Where as threads for a choke, are only for a choke.

Well, I'm no expert either, but I think the issue with threads on the outside is that you could in theory attach a muzzle break, or silencer?

It's a flash suppressor they're worried about (for some reason [rolleyes]), not a muzzle break or silencer. I don't think they're worried about a flash suppressor on a shotgun because they basically don't exist (yes, I know, they're out there, but... come on, wtf?)

It's a flash suppressor they're worried about (for some reason [rolleyes]), not a muzzle break or silencer. I don't think they're worried about a flash suppressor on a shotgun because they basically don't exist (yes, I know, they're out there, but... come on, wtf?)

They don't care about silencers you say?! (I know they're illegal in MA) You should get one of these then!
_11882655127917.jpg

He posts on the forum as one-eyed jack. He's been at several members shoots in Athol. My avatar is a pic of me shooting it.

That 20 gauge is great, what fun during the shotgun volley in Athol this year, all around me I heard "thud..thud..thud..poof.."

I honestly thought someone launched a bird bomb to my left at first...[smile]

I'm no expert but wouldn't most shotguns have threaded barrels for chokes ?

Only difference is the threads are on the inside.

But clearly threads inside the barrel are more dangerous than ones on the outside. Someone could attach a device to make the gun kill more babies. [rolleyes]

My personal favorite is the part of the AWB making bayonet lugs an "evil" feature. The difference between a pre- and post-ban AR? The more dangerous one can have a knife mounted on the end of it.

Thank God the Virginia Tech shooter didn't have a bayonet on his guns. It would've been so much worse if that were the case.

/rant.

Haha, I'm saving my pennies!!

Suit yerself, but you'll miss out on some serious fun, lunches, group buys, (Whoops forgot yer savin' pennies...) tours of the S&W facility, some of the best training oppourtunities, hunting trips, fishing trips, Karma's = free stuff (You are savin' pennies - right?) and the priviledge of hangin' with some of the most knowledgable shooters and all around great people you've ever met !

But, that's just my opinion. [smile]
YMMV.

Suit yerself, but you'll miss out on some serious fun, lunches, group buys, (Whoops forgot yer savin' pennies...) tours of the S&W facility, some of the best training oppourtunities, hunting trips, fishing trips, Karma's = free stuff (You are savin' pennies - right?) and the priviledge of hangin' with some of the most knowledgable shooters and all around great people you've ever met !

But, that's just my opinion. [smile]
YMMV.

Believe me, I'd love to send a check to Derek right now. However, I'm a college student working part time, so cash flow is far from abundant. I AM saving my pennies though. [smile]

Whatever that thing is, it won't work. Jack.

What gave it away? The fact the bore hole on the can is 1/3 the size of the bore on the barrel? [smile] More seriously I suspect you mean the size of the can is not sufficient to handle the amount of gas a shotgun round produces.

What gave it away? The fact the bore hole on the can is 1/3 the size of the bore on the barrel? [smile] More seriously I suspect you mean the size of the can is not sufficient to handle the amount of gas a shotgun round produces.

Well, a muzzle can with baffles would be effective on a shotgun using only slugs (non-sabot). It would soon fill up with shot and wads. The size would have to be much larger than the one shown in the pic. The 20 ga suppressed shotgun I built has 12 sq in of porting in the barrel and 60 cu in of air and packing mat'l in the tube. There is a LOT of powder in shotshells which needs room to expand and cool. Although a muzzle can won't affect velocity the way that a ported barrel does, it would have to be quite large. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom