Thoughts on what to do with sks

Hello everyone. I purchased a yugo sks (blade bayo, grenade cup and sights without chrome barrel) and I love it. Accuracy is great for a 1962 built 7.62x39. Consistently hitting silhouette plate at 200yrds. I just wanted to discuss and hear peoples thoughts about lightening it up and making it more of a "shooter" vs what it is. I'd like to remove the cup, and front site. Which would remove bayo lug and grenade sight. Get the barrel cut crowned and threaded for a modern brake. I love the rifle and the attention it gets in its stock configuration.

I just dont know if I'll enjoy it more the way it is or setup more for the range. Anybody have any advice or thoughts. Maybe did this and regret it?????

Find a norinco beater and hack away.
All that crap hanging off the front of those barrels is might be helping accuracy by cutting down on harmonics a bit. I think you would see a better gain reloading for it.

If you're never going to get rid of it, go for it.

I chopped a chinese sks down to 16.5". Was happy with the result. 20170729_022347.jpg

Did it myself with a hacksaw, faced it by hand with a bastard file. Used a round head brass screw and valve grinding compound to do the crown. Also beer.

I am not a gunsmith but it came out great and still on target.

Why do you say get a norco? Is a yugo more collectible? I like the looks of your sks. I respect your 2 cents. Any reason why or just keep it the way it is for nostalgia and collecting reasons?

+1 for leave it alone. If you want a modified SKS, buy one that's already been modified by someone else.

Another vote for leaving it alone and buying a beater. Clean, well kept SKSs are not coming out of the woodwork.

Find one that has already been r̶u̶i̶n̶e̶d̶ "modified" and go ahead.

I did see one video where someone reworked an M48 that was basically destroyed due to a previous owner's neglect and thus it was already beyond repair in the historical sense. No qualms about that; but I cringe at the notion of mucking with a perfectly good rifle. There's enough SKS rifles (among others) out there that Bubba has already defaced.

Or buy a Mini-30 or something with no historical value and do whatever you please.

Why do you say get a norco? Is a yugo more collectible? I like the looks of your sks. I respect your 2 cents. Any reason why or just keep it the way it is for nostalgia and collecting reasons?
Hes saying get a norinco because those were commercially made in China by the norinco company not actual mil issue. The Yugo that you have is a milsurp rifle so has collector value. Also like someone else said......if the yugo you have is in good shape.....keep it that way because last time I checked the yugoslavs are not making the sks anymore lol. If you want to mod an sks go find a beater norinco and have at it.

As far as the mods you say you want to do.......why a muzzle break? I find my sks to be one of the softest shooting rifles I own.....actually a pleasure to shoot....and the muzzle does not move much between shots.

If you just want to drop weight without cutting it, get rid of the bayo and ladder sight. The launcher is pinned on but if you get that off, it'll take muzzle devices that fit the vz-58. Believe it's 14x1RH threads.

Thanks guys. I did not know the history difference between a yugo and a norinco. I'll leave it be for now
Good choice, hitting silhouette at 200 yards is really not a sign of accuracy for a SKS. Run some nice ammo and shoot for groups to see how well it shoots.
Lapua makes some very nice 762x39 its a bit pricey.

Hes saying get a norinco because those were commercially made in China by the norinco company not actual mil issue. The Yugo that you have is a milsurp rifle so has collector value. Also like someone else said......if the yugo you have is in good shape.....keep it that way because last time I checked the yugoslavs are not making the sks anymore lol. If you want to mod an sks go find a beater norinco and have at it.

As far as the mods you say you want to do.......why a muzzle break? I find my sks to be one of the softest shooting rifles I own.....actually a pleasure to shoot....and the muzzle does not move much between shots.

Just to be clear, some Norincos do in fact have collector value, like the Para Norincos. We in the US also cannot get Norincos any more, unlike say in Canada, so even then, I'd suggest buying an already-modified gun over just any plain Jane Norinco.

Back
Top Bottom