• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on the SAS

Swift River Rob

NES Member
I can understand why the SAS would prefer a predominantly female shooting event.

My short daughter (5’ 10”), I stopped delineating by age when the girls passed 30, likes to shoot. We would occasionally rent time at the Attleboro range as it was closer to here house that BR&P. On one occasion we shared the range with US Coast Guard and US Customs. She did poorly that day. I asked why and she said there was too much testosterone in the room.

Jenn has shot in the CMP at BR&P and done well, and does well on the indoor pistol ranges but even she, and she is a strong willed person that you would be ill advised to mess with, can on occasion feel uncomfortable in a male dominated area. I would imagine that some women, not used to firearms in what could be perceived as a male bastion, would feel, for lack of a better word, intimidated. I think we men should cut SAS some slack. It is women that generally control whether or not their children will enter into a sport. They aren’t called soccer moms without reason. The more women that feel comfortable with firearms, the greater the chance of preserving this great sport and our 2nd amendment rights.

Swift River Rob said:
It is women that generally control whether or not their children will enter into a sport.

I've been saying that for a long time. We have to get the mom's involved for a reason. If they are against shooting, then we're going to have a hard time getting our children out to the range. Women can put a lot of pressure in the household, so keeping them happy and comfortable on the range is not much to ask when trying to further our sport.

That's one of the reasons that I think Women On Target is such a good idea.

I have to agree, while I'm not much for having one or the other family member excluded from something. I think that this warrents an exception.

I saw that someone thinks that there should be a brotherhood to SAS, and I think that it's a good idea. Maybe for just some support of maybe some instruction at one point or another. But I think that there should be an interview process or something. Just so you don't have a "Hey Toots" type of guy working with the women.

Just my .02.

C-pher said:
You know, I went to the MA-SAS site and it doesn't look like it's been updated since 2003.

http://www.2asisters.net/ma/events.html
It hasn't. I've actually volunteered to do some work on it, only because of the lack of updates, but I'm not very good with web pages (little experience, not that I can't learn). It's something I've got to find the time to fiddle with.

IIRC, all the state chapter websites are sub-pages of the national site. The claim (by Lynne R, IIRC) was that whatever SW they used to manage the websites was very difficult for them to update.

Most, if not all, SAS state websites seem to be terribly out-of-date. Response to Email and phone messages left for them was also not impressive.

I learned some of this by personal experience and by feedback from others that I suggested to contact a SAS chapter in some state or other. [On ARfcom I referred a number of women to SAS websites for their states. The feedback I received was not good!]

I haven't looked or referred anyone in a while, so I'm unsure of current status. Lynne R told me that they had a national conference in November, so we can hope that they addressed some of these issues.

Like I said I am the exception to alot of things. I am sure it is a good organization. Just not one I would belong to. I was also taught how to shoot by Uncle Sam, and ALL of my DI's were male. I am very strong willed anyways,and I don't feel intimadated by much. I worked in an all male shop for quite awhile,so my skin is fairly thick. When I worked for Ames as stocking crew manager,I had to earn the respect of the truck driver. Women weren't supposed to unload trucks I guess,but I passed that hurdle. We have always done things as a family,no matter whose hobbies it might be. Neither Glenn or I would join anything where the family is not welcome. We have not joined somoe clubs because of that.
I am sure there are women who feel uncomfortable around men shooting,for what ever reasons they have. I have always taken the attitude when breaking into guy things of proving myself. Once they see I really do know what I am doing it never is a problem. Alot of men (not meaning the ones on this board) can have caveman like attitudes,which would turn alot of women off. SAS has it's place,but just not for everyone. It also should be made very clear too that men are not welcome, no sitting on the fence per se.

Back
Top Bottom