Thoughts on the P320 X5 Legion?

The boredom of being home is really starting to set in and I began thinking about adding a red dot to my P226. Well, one thing led to another and I somehow I've convinced myself that it would just be easier (and more fun) to add another piece to my collection. I'm curious for those of you who have shot the P320 X5 Legion, what your thoughts were? I've had a chance to handle a P320 briefly and it felt good in the hand, and I know there's been some talk about teething issues with the P320 line, but have no idea how these have played out, and if the premium for the Legion model is really worth it.

Last edited:
Meh. It's a heavy p320. I really tried to like the p320 but I find it pretty uninspiring. If you want a p320 get the legion, its the most interesting but its nothing special. It's still got a mushy trigger. I put a Grey Guns competition trigger in mine which improved the break and reset considerably, still not great.
PS. A P226 with a dot is awesome, Got an SAO with a romeo a year ago and just got a Tacops cut for an RMR a couple months ago.

Last edited:
FWIW... I have never shot the X Five Legion, but i recently changed the original polymer grip of my regular-old X Five to the X Series TSG Grip Module. The tungsten-infused grip. Essentially turning my X Five into a poor man's Legion. (I know the trigger is still slightly different.)

I LIKED the standard X Five. I LOVE the Legionized version. The extra, evenly-distributed, weight makes a big difference. At least to me. Shoots like a dream.

I have a favorite 1911 that used to dominate my range time. I've found myself shooting the "new" X Five more and more. Well, when my clubs were open and I could shoot...

Mine is a bit over a month old and have shot it but twice so far. Got it for doing pin shoots as I am trying to get out of .45
Out of the box with 124 grain ammo it shot 8" high but centered at 75 feet, no failures of any kind. With 147 grain it shot a bit lower but still high and I needed to change out the 14# spring with the included 12# recoil spring as a few failures to eject and stove pipes occurred. After that change and adjusting he sights, the gun was flawless and very accurate for me. It is a very heavy gun, but as it is for competition and not carry, that is a plus. The trigger? Well it is a striker fired gun and not a 1911 so there is the mushiness that comes with a striker, but I find the break and reset to be fine. The flat faced trigger that measures about 2.5 pounds pull is also a good design for me. I have an HK VP-9 with a long slide on it and both of these shoot very well for me. The trigger on the X5 has a better feel to my hand, and the Sig will be the first gun out when the next pin shoot is on.

I've been mainly a Glock and 1911 shooter for the last 20 years.

I was not impressed with the standard 320.

But the 320 X5 Legion is a really nice gun. I shot a friend's, it may have been an X5 non legion. I'm not sure. But its got the long barrel, heavy frame and tuned trigger. Its a really REALLY nice shooting gun.

I've been eyeing these X-Five guns for awhile. Really liked and wanted the X-Five Coyote which came with four 21-round mags. They discontinued that model when they introduced the Legion, which comes with just three 17-round mags.

I've been eyeing these X-Five guns for awhile. Really liked and wanted the X-Five Coyote which came with four 21-round mags. They discontinued that model when they introduced the Legion, which comes with just three 17-round mags.

Yes... My X Five "should" have come with four 21-round magazines. But, alas, I live in MA.

I’d check out a 226 Legion or 226 Tacops before going with the X-5, just personal preference, the 320’s/X-5’s just didn’t do it for me.

I too shoot the X5 with the heavy grip retro fitted. Was shooting it before Legion came out, and am contemplating buying the Legion for a spare. Also went the 1911 guide rod with 9lb spring and the Gray's trigger. 147's @130 PF and it shoots flat as hell. Accuracy is outstanding. It's kinda big and blocky, but my meat hooks fit just right and lock in with the magwell on, like putting on a glove. Only dislike is the slide release. It's not in the right spot, and 4000 rounds later mine still does that "tension fit " thing, so it's good to make sure the slide is all the way forward on the initial load. Mags aren't cheap, especially when you put on aftermarket basepads so the cripple mags will work with the magwell.

Good experience with this gun has me also contemplating an M-18 or X Compact for a carry gun.

I would like a legion X5 in the Carry config....but then again, I would like the 220 legion carry in 10mm as well.

I will not get the X5 due to mass mag restriction, but in a few years when I move...I will probably just buy one.

Just an add....Don't have details...but I recently saw something where Sig is only providing 1 (one) mag with guns, but will make good when things calm down. Obviously this should not apply to guns already down the pipeline and at your friendly LGS.

I have a Legion X5 with a Trijicon SRO red dot as my USPSA Carry Optics handgun. I love it.

For anything other than competition or purely range shooting it's way too heavy.

I’d check out a 226 Legion or 226 Tacops before going with the X-5, just personal preference, the 320’s/X-5’s just didn’t do it for me.
Unfortunately, from what I could tell, there's no MA compliant P226 that from the factory would accept an optic, and I'd have a really hard time justifying two P226's, or taking a loss on selling mine to pick up a new one.

I have a Legion X5 with a Trijicon SRO red dot as my USPSA Carry Optics handgun. I love it.

For anything other than competition or purely range shooting it's way too heavy.

It would be strictly for range shooting. My P226 would see any and all actual use.

throw in a keres or armory craft adjustable trigger and you can remove nearly all of the pre and over travel. still not a 1911 trigger but pretty good.

For a striker it has a decent trigger. It has some heft to it and feels like an all steel gun. It’s not going to out shine a shadow or a nice 1911 or 2011, but I’ve been pretty impressed with it. Nice range gun.

Back
Top Bottom