• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on the Keltec RDB

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm wondering what people think of the Keltec RDB Bullpup and if anyone has shot one yet? From what I've read it's a no frill style bullpup that just works and is hundreds less then a Tavor X95. I'm thinking of getting one over a Tavor looking for any good or bad reviews on the Keltec.

Thanks

RDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Iv'e got one of those foldy-up 9mm long guns. It shoots VERY well. Reliable and a tack-driver. Trigger is just OK.

I'd ASSUME this is the same. KT is not known for great fit-and-finish. I've owned several of their pistols over the years. They functioned - some after some fluff'n'buff. It's an interesting gun to be sure. I'll be interested in any intel on this as well. (Although on their face, bullpups scare me b/c that whole "chamber is next to your cheek" thing.)

I have never shot an RDB. Would love to try one though. The RDB survival looks very enticing to me. Very light weight and perfect to stick into a bag and keep in a vehicle. I don't think a bullpup would ever replace my ARs, but they are enticing for being so compact with good barrel length. I really dislike how long a conventional rifle gets when you throw a suppressor on it. For specific purposes I like the bullpup concept.

I'm wondering what people think of the Keltec RDB Bullpup and if anyone has shot one yet? From what I've read it's a no frill style bullpup that just works and is hundreds less then a Tavor X95. I'm thinking of getting one over a Tavor looking for any good or bad reviews on the Keltec.

Thanks

View attachment 231624

I own one, and it is decent (for a KelTec) but it is not a Tavor. If you want a Tavor buy a Tavor. I bought it because it was available and my dealer gave me
the right price on it (the pre florida bullshit price).

Trigger is decent. (way better than most bullpups and most stock ARs. ) Charging handle is cool, HK like, and non reciprocating, though. Gun also has a bolt hold open device in it when empty. Gun is well balanced and easy to shoot.

I haven't shot it much but got a couple light strikes on it so far, not good. Not sure what that was about, happened twice in 200+ rounds of XM193. Also gas system is fun, if you end up with an empty chamber that means your gas is too low. That's an easy enough adjustment though. (theres a big ass knob you can turn when the rifle is cold or you can adjust it with a bullet tip if its hot).

Also there was some rumor these things drop USGI mags spontaneously, but I didn't have that problem. I also used pmags with it, in the free world, with no problem (and if you get/keep this gun in the free world (or you're not afraid of your shadow) it comes with a 20 round pmag, sort of a nod as to "yeah this is what we used with it". )

I have to shoot it more and get another aimpoint PRO in the mix for it, before I can really pass a verdict on it. If it keeps light striking though thats going to be a
problem. (Although one of the rounds that didnt go off, didnt go off on the 2nd strike, so I suspect that was actually just a bad primer to begin with... )

-Mike

Iv'e got one of those foldy-up 9mm long guns. It shoots VERY well. Reliable and a tack-driver. Trigger is just OK.

I'd ASSUME this is the same. KT is not known for great fit-and-finish. I've owned several of their pistols over the years. They functioned - some after some fluff'n'buff. It's an interesting gun to be sure. I'll be interested in any intel on this as well. (Although on their face, bullpups scare me b/c that whole "chamber is next to your cheek" thing.)

This is nothing like a Sub2000. Even compared to the newer sub2Ks, IMO a Sub2K is a piece of shit compared to an RDB. (in terms of like picking the gun up, and making a 10 second judgement of it, kind of way. )

Also the RDB has a steel shield type thing over the chamber on the stock... it is pretty funny though, looking at it from underneath and seeing how waaaay far back the bolt goes....

-Mike

Aside from the mag release, it’s not a terrible little gun.

Mag release ruins it beyond salvation, though. I’ve hit mine (and dropped the mag) on accident more times than I can count.

Aside from the mag release, it’s not a terrible little gun.

Mag release ruins it beyond salvation, though. I’ve hit mine (and dropped the mag) on accident more times than I can count.

When I bought it I was looking at that, and I said "If I had huge meathooks this would be a problem". Admittedly I only ran the thing on the
square range, so to speak, but had no trouble.

Somewhere I was reading there are noises about them changing the design on this.

Another person said they put a piece of tubing under the lever to increase the amount of force it took to drop the
mag... and a year or so ago KelTec made noises about switching to a button, or offering it that way...

SHOT Show 2016: KelTec RDB Prototype Mag Release

-Mike

When I bought it I was looking at that, and I said "If I had huge meathooks this would be a problem". Admittedly I only ran the thing on the
square range, so to speak, but had no trouble.

Somewhere I was reading there are noises about them changing the design on this.

Another person said they put a piece of tubing under the lever to increase the amount of force it took to drop the
mag... and a year or so ago KelTec made noises about switching to a button, or offering it that way...

SHOT Show 2016: KelTec RDB Prototype Mag Release

-Mike

Yeah I don’t have tiny hands like you do, Mike. The base of my thumb (at the wrist) bumps the damn thing like that’s what it’s there for.

Yeah I don’t have tiny hands like you do, Mike. The base of my thumb (at the wrist) bumps the damn thing like that’s what it’s there for.

Another post I read... some guy said "I wonder if I cut off part of the release and grind it down" (it is a cheap part to replace worst case) but depending on how your hand is hitting the thing, it might not be easily fixable that way, either.

-Mike

rdb_01-jpg.231868

rdb_02-jpg.231869

Here are a couple of images of mine taken in a free state just after I bought it. I fired it for the first time last Friday. I used GI magazines, preban Thermold magazines (in picture) and Mass. compliant 10 round Pmags. I had no issues whatsoever. Every round when bang (mostly Wolf brass .223) and I had no feeding issues or dropping GI mag issues.

It now has a Mass. compliant muzzle device pinned and welded.

Trigger is pretty good as Mike said and it didn't take me long to get the rifle on target hitting steel at 100 yards. I like the charging handle -- it works like the HK type.

rdb_01-jpg.231868

rdb_02-jpg.231869

Here are a couple of images of mine taken in a free state just after I bought it. I fired it for the first time last Friday. I used GI magazines, preban Thermold magazines (in picture) and Mass. compliant 10 round Pmags. I had no issues whatsoever. Every round when bang (mostly Wolf brass .223) and I had no feeding issues or dropping GI mag issues.

It now has a Mass. compliant muzzle device pinned and welded.

Trigger is pretty good as Mike said and it didn't take me long to get the rifle on target hitting steel at 100 yards. I like the charging handle -- it works like the HK type.

Thanks for the pics. Have to ask though. Do you need to have the optic that high off the rail or is that just your preference?

Hold it. Mike has small hands. Very opinionated. Speaks up QUICKLY.

Is Mike really Trump???????? ;)

The last thing I need is another long-gun, but this one fascinates me a bit. I'll say my 1st-gen S2K runs flawlessly. It looks like a trench-made gun from WWII or something, but it functions well and is very accurate. The big-ass all plastic front sight is the only thing that makes me worried at times.

Thanks for the pics. Have to ask though. Do you need to have the optic that high off the rail or is that just your preference?

The optic came with two different mounts -- one like in the picture and a lower one. The lower mount might be better for home defense type use where you might want to minimize the chance of the optic catching on a door jamb or something. I like the higher mount...at least for now.

I had one of the folding SU-16 in 5.56 for a short while. Hated it. The plastic receiver caused too many stoppages. Am glad to have sold it quickly.

I had one of the folding SU-16 in 5.56 for a short while. Hated it. The plastic receiver caused too many stoppages. Am glad to have sold it quickly.

Nice, but an RDB and an SU-16 are still like radically different guns. the only thing they really have in common is they were made by Kel Tec... lol

-Mike

I didn't care for the factory sights so I removed them. I added a a2 flash hider, magpull flip ups and a red dot sight. 20181203_181713.jpg

As a lefty, the RDB always caught my fancy. But, as most lefties do, I adapted and decided to figure out how to use other options. It’s always awkward at first, but you fumble around and make it work. I always had a soft spot for the lefty sniper in Saving Private Ryan. He made it work, and damn well too. Right up until he got blown out of that bell tower...

I own one, and it is decent (for a KelTec) but it is not a Tavor. If you want a Tavor buy a Tavor. I bought it because it was available and my dealer gave me
the right price on it (the pre florida bullshit price).

Trigger is decent. (way better than most bullpups and most stock ARs. ) Charging handle is cool, HK like, and non reciprocating, though. Gun also has a bolt hold open device in it when empty. Gun is well balanced and easy to shoot.

I haven't shot it much but got a couple light strikes on it so far, not good. Not sure what that was about, happened twice in 200+ rounds of XM193. Also gas system is fun, if you end up with an empty chamber that means your gas is too low. That's an easy enough adjustment though. (theres a big ass knob you can turn when the rifle is cold or you can adjust it with a bullet tip if its hot).

Also there was some rumor these things drop USGI mags spontaneously, but I didn't have that problem. I also used pmags with it, in the free world, with no problem (and if you get/keep this gun in the free world (or you're not afraid of your shadow) it comes with a 20 round pmag, sort of a nod as to "yeah this is what we used with it". )

I have to shoot it more and get another aimpoint PRO in the mix for it, before I can really pass a verdict on it. If it keeps light striking though thats going to be a
problem. (Although one of the rounds that didnt go off, didnt go off on the 2nd strike, so I suspect that was actually just a bad primer to begin with... )

-Mike
I realize this is an old post, but I recently got an RDB. Shoots well so far (only ~150rds) though I also got a couple of light strikes. Both rounds fired fine 2nd time, so I suspect it is the rifle and not the ammo. How has your RDB been performing?
- Mike

I realize this is an old post, but I recently got an RDB. Shoots well so far (only ~150rds) though I also got a couple of light strikes. Both rounds fired fine 2nd time, so I suspect it is the rifle and not the ammo. How has your RDB been performing?
- Mike
It's long gone at this point. Needed the money more than i needed it, at the time. I would get another one if they ever redesign the mag release..... it's too easy to breathe on it and cause the mag to drop although apparently there are some fixes....

Back
Top Bottom