Thoughts on the Bond Arms Derringer

Getting used to the trigger takes time. Bond Arms does a trigger replacement on the older ones that kinda smooths things out. Trouble is everybody flinches when they shoot it , there's some guy called "the uker of oz" on etsy who makes wider "boot grips" which help tame the recoil. 45lc and hi brass .410 is rather fun.

Just a stupid question, looking at the roster I see this:

Bond Arms MASS .45/410
Bond Arms MATD .45/410

What models does this translate into for Bond Arms? If I look at their website everything says not for sale in MA. Does this mean any .45/410 Bond Arms derringer is available for sale? I'm interested in the z slayer maybe as a Christmas present to myself and it's .45/410. I assume that's good to go??

Bond Arms MASS .45/410
Bond Arms MATD .45/410

What models does this translate into for Bond Arms? If I look at their website everything says not for sale in MA. Does this mean any .45/410 Bond Arms derringer is available for sale? I'm interested in the z slayer maybe as a Christmas present to myself and it's .45/410. I assume that's good to go??
SS-Snake Slayer
TD- Texas Defender

You can see the specs for each on Bonds website

Go with an North American Arms mini 22 or 22 mag. Can fit that thing anywhere or can go full fruit loop and find the belt buckle holster. Some people could carry that concealed in a sauna. Most people will think it’s a toy until it starts spitting lead.

Bond Arms MASS .45/410
Bond Arms MATD .45/410

Get whatever you want and have it transferred. Remember, they are not illegal in MA.

SS-Snake Slayer
TD- Texas Defender

You can see the specs for each on Bonds website
And barrel swaps for different calibers and/or barrel length are a simple Allen screw away. The barrels come with the Allen wrench. They make lots of calibers sort of like the Thompson contender. I’ve sold a lot these. They aren’t practical so much as a novelty. You either find them cool or you don’t. BA makes holsters for them also.

22LR
22mag
38/357
45ACP
9mm
Also 2.5”, 3”, 4.25”

they have more calibers and some are discontinued so harder to find. A fun little novelty

was glad to see this thread, hoping that they will get the Bullpup approved.

The bull pup is a great little gun but it is finicky when it comes to ammo due to the way it picks up the round from the magazine. If there isn’t a sufficient neck crimp it will pull the case off of the projectile dumping the powder in the magazine.

Bob

Last edited:
Go with an North American Arms mini 22 or 22 mag. Can fit that thing anywhere or can go full fruit loop and find the belt buckle holster. Some people could carry that concealed in a sauna. Most people will think it’s a toy until it starts spitting lead.

It's not on the MA roster though. If I wanted to a NA Arms mini, how would I go about doing it in MA?

I was going to post this.

Also, it doesn't have a trigger guard. No way I would want that thing flopping around.

I gave up on carrying a handgun when running. Nothing was comfortable and I am in good shape so I wearing fitting clothes, it is hard to conceal.

I couldn't get a good waist holster wearing running shorts. Couldn't use a pocket holster. Those holsters that have an elastic band were very uncomfortable.
Ditto this..but I also run in the morning in a safe area. But I used to run near and in the woods and always thought about a small 380. But small things annoy me when I run like car keys, let alone a small gun. If you can catch me while in running then godspeed and good luck is my thought..it was more for random animals...

Yuck--just get a J-Frame. M&P 340s can be had with a giant ass front sight and without the locks, CT grips are available, and they are easy to shoot with either .38spcl .38+P.
Alternatively, get an LCP. Don't get a G42-they are gigantic for a .380.

I have two.
Being that I live less then 20 miles from where they are made, and have even had a tour of their factory, I say they are awesome guns.

Choice of calibers
Choice of barrel lengths even among multiple calibers.
Quick change of barrels, allowing quick change of caliber and length as needed.

Quality is awesome, stainless steel.

For a backup gun, for which I use mine for, it’s awesome. I say get one!

I have one in .45/.410 and it’s a cool gun. Very well made. Not really practical for carry though. Heavy trigger and pretty hard recoil. For less weight you can get a small .380 like an LCP and have 6+1 capacity.

I bought the Bond because I always liked derringers and I just really wanted it. Same as the NAA mini.

It is a heavy gun, but with the cross draw driving holster it makes for an awesome backup gun. It’s also easier to pull when driving.

Also with a couple of self defense 410 rounds. Such as the Winchester pdx2 rounds. At close range, one doesn’t really need to aim much, a shoot from the hip and not miss type gun.

I also carry mine when I am hiking with bird shot, or even buckshot. Great for killing snakes, or small critters that might attack. Something a 9mm, 45 or 454 isn’t all that great at unless your shooting skills are beyond awesome.

But getting it up, ready, and on target is a time-consuming process.

With proper training it’s not hard at all. Being in Texas snake country, I can pull mine and shoot in less then 2 seconds. If your trained with and use SA revolvers, this is just as quick and easy. I can also fire off both rounds as a double tap by using my opposite hand to cock the hammer back. Just like in the movies!

It is a heavy gun, but with the cross draw driving holster it makes for an awesome backup gun. It’s also easier to pull when driving.

Also with a couple of self defense 410 rounds. Such as the Winchester pdx2 rounds. At close range, one doesn’t really need to aim much, a shoot from the hip and not miss type gun.

I also carry mine when I am hiking with bird shot, or even buckshot. Great for killing snakes, or small critters that might attack. Something a 9mm, 45 or 454 isn’t all that great at unless your shooting skills are beyond awesome.
I have mine loaded with PDX also but I think I’ve only carried it a couple times. Mainly just to show to someone.

The beauty of guns is that if you buy one and don’t like it, you can almost always sell it and get your money back. I say if you want one get it.

Not in this case, anyone who tries to flip one of these the 2nd time around is either going to be sitting on it a long ass time, or they're going to get hosed. So anyone buying one of these
should be prepared to just keep it. (or get hosed).

My advice- people who want to buy one of these should just find a friend that has one and shoot theirs first. Otherwise there's about an 80% chance you're setting cash on
fire. This is the kind of a gun, much like a single action revolver, that you REALLY have to have a 110% irrational want/deep seated desire to actually want and enjoy it. There is absolutely
nothing logical or practical about these guns. The other option is if mentally you can go in knowing theres an 80% chance that it will suck and you don't care because it looks cool and that beats everything. If you've already resigned yourself to that, then just go ahead and buy it, because if you're in that group you're not selling it anyways.

Let me put it this way I have a friend of mine who has like 3 derringers. Two Bonds in 357 mag, and a Davis in 38. He sucks at cleaning guns so I do him a favor and clean his guns in trade for a few cigars. At the beginning when they were real dirty I would test fire them after. Let me put it this way, after I was done test firing I didn't just sit there and keep putting ammo into them because I thought it was fun to shoot them. I was done after about 4-6 rounds apiece. FWIW the Davis was 1000 times worse than the bond arms product... but I think the davis was literally one of those ring of fire like bryco shitpistol manufacturers. The bond arms trigger is heavy, but the davis was horrendous. At least Bond arms produces a quality product.... for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom