• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on the Bond Arms Derringer

I also carry mine when I am hiking with bird shot, or even buckshot. Great for killing snakes, or small critters that might attack. Something a 9mm, 45 or 454 isn’t all that great at unless your shooting skills are beyond awesome.

This is about the only "killer app" I can think of with that kind of a derringer, pest control. At least with a 410 you can get a bit of shot in there.

Not in this case, anyone who tries to flip one of these the 2nd time around is either going to be sitting on it a long ass time, or they're going to get hosed. So anyone buying one of these
should be prepared to just keep it. (or get hosed).

My advice- people who want to buy one of these should just find a friend that has one and shoot theirs first. Otherwise there's about an 80% chance you're setting cash on
fire. This is the kind of a gun, much like a single action revolver, that you REALLY have to have a 110% irrational want/deep seated desire to actually want and enjoy it. There is absolutely
nothing logical or practical about these guns. The other option is if mentally you can go in knowing theres an 80% chance that it will suck and you don't care because it looks cool and that beats everything. If you've already resigned yourself to that, then just go ahead and buy it, because if you're in that group you're not selling it anyways.

Let me put it this way I have a friend of mine who has like 3 derringers. Two Bonds in 357 mag, and a Davis in 38. He sucks at cleaning guns so I do him a favor and clean his guns in trade for a few cigars. At the beginning when they were real dirty I would test fire them after. Let me put it this way, after I was done test firing I didn't just sit there and keep putting ammo into them because I thought it was fun to shoot them. I was done after about 4-6 rounds apiece. FWIW the Davis was 1000 times worse than the bond arms product... but I think the davis was literally one of those ring of fire like bryco shitpistol manufacturers. The bond arms trigger is heavy, but the davis was horrendous. At least Bond arms produces a quality product.... for what it is.
Who the hell cleans derringers? That’s like cleaning a Glock or an AK 😆

This is the kind of a gun, much like a single action revolver, that you REALLY have to have a 110% irrational want/deep seated desire to actually want and enjoy it.

That is just plain mean! [laugh]

Not in this case, anyone who tries to flip one of these the 2nd time around is either going to be sitting on it a long ass time, or they're going to get hosed. So anyone buying one of these

Even more so, now. They have started making a less polished version, a la Ruger Wrangler.

The Bond Rowdy.

1605569064119.png
How did we get the price down so low?
Bond Arms has been well known for having a premium fit and finish to every gun we make. To get to that level of aesthetic quality it takes a lot of time. We have taken that process and trimmed it down to create a gun that still has the robust qualities of our pre-existing models without all of the frills.
People have asked, are you using die cast or pot metals? The answer is NO!! They are all the same grade of stainless steel like our current production models.
To give you an idea of our current process for manufacturing our current guns, we literally sand every part, then we spend a tremendous amount of time Polishing and hand finishing all these same parts to the Quality Finish that Bond Arms has always been known for.

Or, uh, use it for buyback fodder.

Oh wait, I forget, they'd be getting half what they paid for their luxury Bond derringer.

I got all my money back with the Cobray...

This is the kind of a gun, much like a single action revolver, that you REALLY have to have a 110% irrational want/deep seated desire to actually want and enjoy it. There is absolutely nothing logical or practical about these guns.
The thing about single action revolvers is they have excellent triggers out of the box. The shittiest part about them that purists are adament about is the traditional fixed sights that never hit to the point of aim. I personally avoid them for that reason, but if they have adjustable sights, they're great.

The difference is the Wrangler works, the Rowdy I've heard of mega issues with it and Bond's customer service is apparently shit.

My personal dealing with Bond customer service is that they sell awesome products and will help you all day, every day. They will address all your concerns and make you happy, unless you live in MA or CA. A few years back they weren't selling Anything to MA.

I hope he isn't ruining his good name over an inferior product.

... This is the kind of a gun, much like a single action revolver, that you REALLY have to have a 110% irrational want/deep seated desire to actually want and enjoy it. There is absolutely
nothing logical or practical about these guns. The other option is if mentally you can go in knowing theres an 80% chance that it will suck and you don't care because it looks cool and that beats everything. If you've already resigned yourself to that, then just go ahead and buy it, because if you're in that group you're not selling it anyways.

This is the logic behind my FN FiveseveN (particular in MA with a 10 round mag limit):D.

I see that the Bond Arms .45C/.410 is now on the "Approved " list.

Practical/ impractical?
Change out the barrels to a different caliber?

I was thinking it may be an alternative when working out, for example, running outdoors in shorts and a tee.

Thoughts?
I spoke with Bond Arms customer service and they stated that the MA version would be a fixed barrel that is not changeable to other calibers in order to meet MA approval. Also in production now and available soon

Just buy a Seecamp. You’ll love everything about it. All stainless so it’s impervious to sweat. I may run with it at some point with one of those t shirts with the pocket in it. I carry mine daily because it is so light and comfortable.
E141EAEF-0090-425E-AAF1-77DB0CED47E6.jpeg 87CB9A01-6D89-475E-8737-5139DF79C179.jpeg

I held a bond the other day and it was cool but way too heavy to be a practical pistol. For 20oz or so you can carry a shield with 9 shots vs the 2 single action shots a derringer has for the same weight. A decently made 10oz derringer in a real caliber could be a different story but i dont know of one.

if you like it go for it, seems like a fun range toy.

I talked to an old gentleman way back in the 80's, That had told me to think of a Derringer as a belly gun only, You don't aim and shoot , You pull it, Stick in his belly and pull the trigger
They are close quarters within 3 ft guns. Guns that are the last resort,
And I think in .357-45LC or 45 ACP HP especially in heavier weights it would get an aggressors attention.....
If you keep that mindset it may work for you.............

I had an American Derringer model 1 years back. Stainless .357/.38. That gun was unpleasant enough to shoot .38's through, let alone .357 magnum. I ended up trading it towards a WWII P.08 which I still have.
My worthless opinion on Derringers: If you're not a prostitute living in the 1880's then there are better options for you out there.
Hey!

Who are you calling a prostitute....

I spoke with Bond Arms customer service and they stated that the MA version would be a fixed barrel that is not changeable to other calibers in order to meet MA approval. Also in production now and available soon
If that's legit they need to fire their attorney(s).

I talked to an old gentleman way back in the 80's, That had told me to think of a Derringer as a belly gun only, You don't aim and shoot , You pull it, Stick in his belly and pull the trigger
They are close quarters within 3 ft guns. Guns that are the last resort,
And I think in .357-45LC or 45 ACP HP especially in heavier weights it would get an aggressors attention.....
If you keep that mindset it may work for you.............

In other words just about the typical civilian self defense scenario ?

Back
Top Bottom