Thoughts on Range Bags

I've been using an old Reebok duffle bag, but it's starting to tear here and there and the zippers are starting to fail. I've been looking at range bags as well as "tactical" duffle bags. I'd prefer to get something US made.

I was checking out the Tactical Tailor bags, and functionally I find them appealing.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/rangemultipurposebaglarge.aspx

They're minimalist, there's not a lot of pockets and such going on, and they're not crazy expensive.

But there's also this from Ace:

https://acecase.com/pro-shooters-range-bag-nylon-od-green.html

About the same price, a little more going on than the TT and clearly can't be used for much other than a range bag.

And also the LaRue:

http://www.larue.com/larue-range-bag

This one is a little more money, and seems to be more of a range bag than general purpose, but the middle can be removed making it a little more duffley when needed.

I'd rather not by an import, but if I did, I'd probably just buy something from Amazon.

I'm sure a lot of people are using and love the Mid-Way bag. I'd like to get something different.

Thoughts???

OK I'm a cheap, yankee SOB. After trying out a bunch of "range bags", I went to Home Depot and picked up a Husky tool bag. It's strong, holds 2-3 pistols, ammunition, has pockets that fit 15 mags easy, handles and shoulder strap. about 35 bucks. Couldn't see 150-200 for the CED.

I bought the right range bag back in 1993 and it is still holding up!
Buy once, cry once!
yep, someone gave me a boyt range bag in the 90's for Christmas, still going strong. 20 years later see no reason to replace it, holds a ton of stuff, does what it suppose to do.

My Uncle Mike's bag has lasted a few years but is starting to fray. I'm unsure if the $200 range bags are much better. I bought the wife a LaRue bag and it is definitely nice (and PINK) but I don't see it holding up any better than the Mike's. Perhaps I will go the Husky toolbag route next since that does a great job with my tools.

I've gone to a range backpack. It is easier for me to carry from pit to pit. Large range bags are too wide and end up knocking into my legs as I walk.

I do like the idea of a backpack...I may look into that as well.

I have a Vism range bag that has held up well so far.

Thanks, seems to have good reviews, but it's pretty much the Mid-Way bag.

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-301214-P-Tactical-Range-Backpack/dp/B00DECLNCK

I love it. It has three separate removable compartments for pistols which are housed in a hard plastic box built into the pack. enough space for a bunch of ammo (more than anyone would probably use in one day), I use it to store two sets of ears, glasses, stapler, personal effects (cell phone, keys, etc), it has a spot to hold targets rolled up, has a built in rain coat for the bag. I can carry a ton of stuff in it and it has held up well with no zipper or fabric issues. I highly recommend it. It is not quite as roomy as what you were linking to though so you could not fit a spotting scope or a shooting rest in it if that was one of your requirements.

My Uncle Mike's bag has lasted a few years but is starting to fray. I'm unsure if the $200 range bags are much better. I bought the wife a LaRue bag and it is definitely nice (and PINK) but I don't see it holding up any better than the Mike's. Perhaps I will go the Husky toolbag route next since that does a great job with my tools.

Yeah, this is kind of what gets me. I'm willing to spend the extra dough on 'Merican' but I'd rather buy once cry once, not buy once and cry only to have to buy again in a couple of years...and cry again and this time buy something MiC.

- - - Updated - - -

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-301214-P.../dp/B00DECLNCK

I love it. It has three separate removable compartments for pistols which are housed in a hard plastic box built into the pack. enough space for a bunch of ammo (more than anyone would probably use in one day), I use it to store two sets of ears, glasses, stapler, personal effects (cell phone, keys, etc), it has a spot to hold targets rolled up, has a built in rain coat for the bag. I can carry a ton of stuff in it and it has held up well with no zipper or fabric issues. I highly recommend it. It is not quite as roomy as what you were linking to though so you could not fit a spotting scope or a shooting rest in it if that was one of your requirements.

I've seen that, but I see a lot of reviewers say you can't fit 3 full sized pistols in the cases. Is that true? If so, it's a no go because I don't have anything that isn't FS.

When I need to take more than two full size pistols I use a Pelican case. In reality my range bag holds ammo, ear & eye pro, ATF papers, and whatever tools, mag brush, markers, oil, etc. else I might need. I rarely put more than one pistol in my range bag and I also rarely shoot more than one pistol plus my EDC.

I do more carbine/SBR shooting in pistol and rifle calibers then work in the pistol as the backup its meant to be.

The non skinflint bags are often a lot better. I had an iShot bag that lasted about a decade (I think it cost me $100) through a metric shit ton of over-abuse. Now I have one of these...

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED-Deluxe-Professional-Range-Bag.html

The Husky Tool Bag trick work great... if you can deal with basically having a pile of shit inside a container. I can't, it makes me apoplectic. If you want organization you have to upgrade to something else.

Looking back if the CED backpack lineup was in full swing I might have even bought one of those, but at the time I got my bag (in the link above) they were just coming out or something.

-Mike

Range bags are like holsters, ya need more than one size and type. When I go to matches I have a wheeled toolbox like this:
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-20-47-in-Mobile-Job-Box-037025H/202300294

It holds my gear, it's lockable, and it doubles as a seat. If I'm just making a quick trip to the range I have a couple of bags from Shooters Connection that are great. I also have the bag everyone else has from MidwayUSA, but I put a bunch of patches on it to tell it apart from the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK I'm a cheap, yankee SOB. After trying out a bunch of "range bags", I went to Home Depot and picked up a Husky tool bag. It's strong, holds 2-3 pistols, ammunition, has pockets that fit 15 mags easy, handles and shoulder strap. about 35 bucks. Couldn't see 150-200 for the CED.

That's exactly what I have been using for ~5 years, and it is holding up great. I think I spent $20 on mine. Holds a lot of stuff and has a ton of pockets. You can drill the zipper pulls for a lock.

Check out Shooters Connection. The DAA backpacks look nice but I've read from a few folks that they're coming apart after a season of regular use.

I have a 5.11 large range bag and I like it a lot, it is very well made and built to last . Like everything, you tend to get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Very happy with my midway

Yeah, the midway shooters connection clone bags are nice, but if you had an original shooters connection bag you'd never buy the midway one. The differences are pretty apparent. I went with the CED bag because the SC one is too big... and if I have a bag that big, I'm going to overload it with shit. [rofl]

-Mike

Yeah, the midway shooters connection clone bags are nice, but if you had an original shooters connection bag you'd never buy the midway one. The differences are pretty apparent. I went with the CED bag because the SC one is too big... and if I have a bag that big, I'm going to overload it with shit. [rofl]

-Mike
True. I had the 5.11 Bag and was Huge, bought the Midway one and it was pretty much the same bag so returned it for the smaller one, If I have a Huge bag it gets filled with too much so I have 2 a Rifle bag and a Pistol bag now. it has held up perfect except when my AR was resting on it and my Muzzle put a small burn on it..Ooops

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 62
I just got this range bag last week and am really happy with it so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Tact...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

The only thing I wish it had was a clear pocket on the end that I could put my club membership card in; I've seen similar bags that have this.

Prior to getting the Explorer Tactical, I used this for 3 years:

http://www.amazon.com/GunMate-Range...=1459907034&sr=1-1&keywords=gunmate+range+bag

It's a great small range bag, but I just outgrew it and needed a larger bag. It's still in great shape after 3 years of use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've seen that, but I see a lot of reviewers say you can't fit 3 full sized pistols in the cases. Is that true? If so, it's a no go because I don't have anything that isn't FS.

Unfortunately, I don't have three full sized pistols so I couldn't answer that.

I just upgraded to the large 5.11 patrol bag. More often than not, my wife's with me at the range, and it holds both our gear nicely. Plenty of room for extra eyes and ears for guests too. Has the 2 Velcro loops on top for a mag lite that I use to hang earphones on.

I finally broke down and am now using 2 bags. one range, and one backpack. Once my son started shooting with me, it is just too much stuff for 1 bag. I had considered just loading one of those sportsman's totes plastic bins.

Back
Top Bottom