• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on PPU .44 Mag?

All good info here. I'm kinda of curious to pull a few bullets and weigh the powder in a few. Some would get stuck really bad and others would just pop right out as normal. Would be interesting to see if they just have crap consistancy on powder weights.

Or maybe the cases differ in thickness. They seem to differ in length, at least. I loaded up some 240 grain MBC TCFPs in PPU cases the other day, and, while they seated really easily, when I placed the bullets in them, there was a good solid stop there. I didn't feel like I could have pressed them in by hand. BUT, I was fairly annoyed during the flaring process, with some coming out a little over-flared and others under. That kind of crap is why I sort my brass by headstamp, and usually that works well enough for me with the headstamps I have a lot of. After I shoot my reloads that are in PPU brass, maybe I will do a Quick Trim pass to even them out.

All good info here. I'm kinda of curious to pull a few bullets and weigh the powder in a few. Some would get stuck really bad and others would just pop right out as normal. Would be interesting to see if they just have crap consistancy on powder weights.
Not a bad little experiment to try. But you probably want to use one of those Hornady collet bullet pullers instead of those inertia "whacker" bullet pullers since you'll have powder all over the place inside the puller - good luck getting every last grain out of it for an accurate measurement...

BUT, I was fairly annoyed during the flaring process, with some coming out a little over-flared and others under. That kind of crap is why I sort my brass by headstamp, and usually that works well enough for me with the headstamps I have a lot of. After I shoot my reloads that are in PPU brass, maybe I will do a Quick Trim pass to even them out.
I hate that too. I really should sort them so I can get a more consistent crimp. I only use mixed brass and they are all different lengths which messes with the crimp. But they still shoot good enough for my needs so I don't really care. If some are bad enough I'll set them aside to be seated deeper so the crimp is being rolled into the cannelure.

Aren't sticking cases the result of oversize bores in the cylinder of the revolver? I had that happen to a 357

I've used several different calibers of ppu, they are a bit on the dirty side and some calibers do have a strong ammonia like smell, they all have sent the pellets down range and if I do my part they are on target with good groupings.

Aren't sticking cases the result of oversize bores in the cylinder of the revolver? I had that happen to a 357

No idea.

But having just tonight shot a bunch of reloads in PPU and Starline brass in my Model 69, the PPU brass was harder to eject, even when the load was lighter. I believe it's because the case mouth is thinner and softer, so the pressure fire forms it tightly to the chamber.

Back
Top Bottom