• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on ported slides?

Then why bother at all? All it's going to do is potentially make the gun less reliable as mass is removed from the slide.
That's been pretty much my take-away from the postings about this... Which is why I won't either get a slide that's cut without matching cuts on the barrel. Or I'll get both cut, but I don't know if that's even worth doing on the one 1911 I have without a barrel bushing.

Then why bother at all? All it's going to do is potentially make the gun less reliable as mass is removed from the slide.

^this. a heavier slide may not have the desired recoil characteristics but it will slow down cycling rate enough to provide ample time for mag springs to do their job. the lightened slide guns have to be tuned correctly or else more likely to run into issues. the guys who race with their pistol will have a use for this but folks like myself not so much.

No doubt there is value to a lightened slide. Just you probably have to be at that S. Moto guy's level for it to be usable. To paraphrase above, best results for the rest of us are most likely going to end at......lighter springs and the lightest heavy bullet load that just makes P.F.

I'd like to clarify my post, there is nothing wrong with man jewelery. Hotrod guns, hotrod cars, hotrod bikes, they are all fun to tinker with, but the more you do, the less they become box stock reliable.

I have fun guns and enjoy them, infact I am queitly collecting parts for a silly comped gun with a ported slide, but for any real use, I stick to stock guns.

Back
Top Bottom