Thoughts on moving to Virginia?

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Political climate aside, I actually always liked Virginia. Williamsburg has always been one of my favorite places, and the area around it is particularly rich in history.

Whutmeworry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NOT 1600 Pennsylvannia Avenue anymore!!!!
The entire east coast is hot and humid.

The political power in Virginia is in the east, and the northeast part of the state is a suburb of D.C. If you are not a fan of firearm ownership for the masses going forward, Virginia is for you.
If pro-gunners avoid moving to the purple states, the state just gets more blue. Just sayin'.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If pro-gunners avoid moving to the purple states, the state just gets more blue. Just sayin'.
People need to get involved where they live........no matter where they live or choose to move to

Simply moving to a purple/red state doesnt really help unless you do your part

Whutmeworry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People need to get involved where they live........no matter where they live or choose to move to

Simply moving to a purple/red state doesnt really help unless you do your part
That's my point exactly, meant to counter those who are trying to steer the OP out of moving to VA because it's "turning blue".

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The only way I would do it is if it involved not commuting to the Beltway on a regular basis. Otherwise you're just looking at moving from one dumpster fire to
another.

-Mike

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We moved from VA to NH a few months ago. VA is politically purple, quickly turning blue. If you like the mountain country, you might like Tennessee better, especially around Knoxville (named after General Henry Knox, who hailed from Boston). No personal income tax, much more freedom. In both states, the cost of living is MUCH lower than it is here. Climate is only about 10 degrees different from MA.

What do you do for work? Most of the high-paying jobs are east of the Blue Ridge mountains, in the triangle between Charlottesville, DC and Richmond. Look for companies in your industry and see where they are located.
A second vote for eastern Tennessee. Get up near the mountains and away from some of the humidity. Weather, property taxes, cost of real estate, gun laws, no income tax........

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only way I would do it is if it involved not commuting to the Beltway on a regular basis. Otherwise you're just looking at moving from one dumpster fire to
another.

-Mike
Va traffic violations/police are full on jack booted thug/mercenary/extortion.......

NoVA broadly is the tail wagging the dog (Va),.......its full of commuters/employees of the fed/state/local gov and the fed budget drives most of economic activity there

Until the fed gov largess is trimmed to sustainable levels we will continue to see BS in/around DC and most other state capitols because thats where the federal money laundering occurrs.....pigs at the trough

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had state rankings on 17 different criteria ranging from how conservative each state is, how 2A friendly, property crime, violent crime, education, job opportunities, average mi driven per year, cost of living, average wage, weather, etc.. Each ranking set was broken up into a 5 tier system and given a weight relative to the other sets. The wife and I plugged in our own weights and both came up with the same #1 state: Iowa.

MA for me was #33 I think. Each category for MA was hit or miss. There are some great things about MA and just as many things that make me want to leave and start new somewhere else.
Interesting. I've never been to Iowa but, coincidentally, I'm heading there tomorrow. Looking forward to checking another state off my list of places I've visited.

Reactions: AHM

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's my point exactly, meant to counter those who are trying to steer the OP out of moving to VA because it's "turning blue".
Cool theory and all but you're ignoring demographics.

States like VA, NH, and Maine are going purple because of demographics, not because the +/- 3% of the whole US population that own guns, are active in the 2A community, and are "true believers" aren't moving into certain states. Let's be realistic, the vocal 2A community who shows up, votes pro-2A, and walks the walk in addition to talking the talk, is a small minority. Now, some states are small enough population-wise that a small cell of influencers can change state politics, but those movers have to be educated or at least knowledgeable, highly motivated, and somewhat funded or know how to get funded. Think of Jason Sorens and arguably he has no real influence. Virginia is not small enough for a small cell to change the entire state.

VA is plugged into DC's "swamp" and the tech economy of the Beltway. These people are changing VA. A trickle of "Yankee" gun owners from places like New England, NY, and NJ isn't going to sufficiently counter the number of people moving into VA to work in the area. Amazon is supposed to bring 20k-25k jobs to Virginia. That's the same size of the entire Free State Project and as far as I know, 20k libertarians haven't actually moved into NH yet. That's just one employer. In DC alone, the Federal government employs 364k people. In the DC region, which is NOVA + MD + DC, the Federal government employs 10% of all working people.

Arlington Area, VA

Exactly how many Washingtonians work for the federal government? | WTOP

Mass has +/- 400k LTC holders and 32k FID holders. If you got them all to move to one state, then yes, absolutely, you could influence the new host state's politics. But you won't. You're going to get a small trickle moving out every year. Probably a fair chunk of that 432k will have been born in Mass and will die in Mass. Another portion will be liberals or Democrat gun owners. Some of these guys will have skills that can only be used in Mass, like say a Massachusetts judge (like the certain East Boston District Court judge on here), and others won't have enough skills or resources to move, like retired guys who own a few guns and live on social security.

Gun permits steadily increase despite tougher controls

For some people, moving into Mass would give them more opportunities in life than if they lived in say Montana. Like me. From a career point of view, I'm much better off working in Mass than I am in VA or MT or WY. Living in most parts of New England also means a bigger paycheck than in flyover country. While that's countered with higher living expenses, New England generally has a very high quality of life. Its low crime. Good opportunities. Nice place to live. Florida on the other hand is a nice place to die.

Point is this: organizing the small population of New England gun owners into moving into certain states that we think need strategic help to "save" won't work because of demographics. Especially considering the average gun owner is an older guy who has probably already had kids. That means a higher rate of replacement is necessary to keep the social experiment going.

Last edited:

Whutmeworry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool theory and all but you're ignoring demographics.

States like VA, NH, and Maine are going purple because of demographics, not because the +/- 3% of the whole US population that own guns, are active in the 2A community, and are "true believers" aren't moving into certain states. Let's be realistic, the vocal 2A community who shows up, votes pro-2A, and walks the walk in addition to talking the talk, is a small minority. Now, some states are small enough population-wise that a small cell of influencers can change state politics, but those movers have to be educated or at least knowledgeable, highly motivated, and somewhat funded or know how to get funded. Think of Jason Sorens and arguably he has no real influence. Virginia is not small enough for a small cell to change the entire state.

VA is plugged into DC's "swamp" and the tech economy of the Beltway. These people are changing VA. A trickle of "Yankee" gun owners from places like New England, NY, and NJ isn't going to sufficiently counter the number of people moving into VA to work in the area. Amazon is supposed to bring 20k-25k jobs to Virginia. That's the same size of the entire Free State Project and as far as I know, 20k libertarians haven't actually moved into NH yet. That's just one employer. In DC alone, the Federal government employs 364k people. In the DC region, which is NOVA + MD + DC, the Federal government employs 10% of all working people.

Arlington Area, VA

Exactly how many Washingtonians work for the federal government? | WTOP

Mass has +/- 400k LTC holders and 32k FID holders. If you got them all to move to one state, then yes, absolutely, you could influence the new host state's politics. But you won't. You're going to get a small trickle moving out every year. Probably a fair chunk of that 432k will have been born in Mass and will die in Mass. Another portion will be liberals or Democrat gun owners. Some of these guys will have skills that can only be used in Mass, like say a Massachusetts judge (like the certain East Boston District Court judge on here), and others won't have enough skills or resources to move, like retired guys who own a few guns and live on social security.

Gun permits steadily increase despite tougher controls

For some people, moving into Mass would give them more opportunities in life than if they lived in say Montana. Like me. From a career point of view, I'm much better off working in Mass than I am in VA or MT or WY. Living in most parts of New England also means a bigger paycheck than in flyover country. While that's countered with higher living expenses, New England generally has a very high quality of life. Its low crime. Good opportunities. Nice place to live. Florida on the other hand is a nice place to die.

Point is this: organizing the small population of New England gun owners into moving into certain states that we think need strategic help to "save" won't work because of demographics. Especially considering the average gun owner is an older guy who has probably already had kids. That means a higher rate of replacement is necessary to keep the social experiment going.
Sooooo, all is lost in VA. Should we give up on all the other purple states as well, including NH and ME?

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sooooo, all is lost in VA. Should we give up on all the other purple states as well, including NH and ME?
Who is "we"? "We" should worry about the war at home, wherever that is. If you live in Mass, focus on Mass. If you live in NH, focus on NH. "We" shouldn't be telling people in other states how to run their 2A activism. Put it this way, if a bunch of out-of-staters showed up and started pushing your political scene around, would you appreciate that?

If you're moving, pick the place that's going to get you the most in life.

brain_8972

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and don’t speed in VA. If you are caught at 20 over, that is reckless driving in VA and they will send you to jail for that. Seriously, not just a fine, but jail time.
Years ago my Dad was absent-mindedly going almost 90 in a 60 or 65 zone around 4-5 AM on a trip back from FL with me. I woke up to us on the side of the highway and a state cop screaming at him that he could throw him in jail. Luckily my dad knew some people in MA who were able to have a phone call with the cop back in VA and somehow convince him to let my dad off with just a hefty fine, no need to go back to VA for court.

Whutmeworry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who is "we"? "We" should worry about the war at home, wherever that is. If you live in Mass, focus on Mass. If you live in NH, focus on NH. "We" shouldn't be telling people in other states how to run their 2A activism. Put it this way, if a bunch of out-of-staters showed up and started pushing your political scene around, would you appreciate that?

If you're moving, pick the place that's going to get you the most in life.
To answer your question, YES. If a wave of out-of-staters (pro-gun ones of course) moved into Mass and started "pushing the political scene around" in my favor, I'd LOVE it!

My point is that if enough purple states capitulate and become blue, it won't matter what state you live in. The federal government will step in and the federal gun laws will pretty much mirror those in MA or CA. I agree that no matter where you live as a gun owner, you need to be an activist. I also agree that the OP has the right to move wherever he wants and to pursue happiness. That said, were the OP to move to a state like TN, his pro-gun activism is not likely to make much of a difference. In VA however, it might. Not all by itself simply by virtue of him being there. He's only one person. But suppose an influx of many others like him move into a purple state like VA (from any number of states, not just New England) and they all start inviting friends and neighbors to the range, introducing them to the world of shooting and dispelling all of the anti gun myths. I'm not talking about hardcore antis, just people who've never been asked to go before. This really COULD make a difference.

I'm not saying it's likely, but it is at least worth thinking about.

BTW you might even be able to lump me into the category of an out-of-stater who showed up and began at least attempting to "push the political scene around". I was born and raised in MA. As a young man, after graduating from college I decided to leave MA behind and go "discover" the rest of America. At the time I was pretty much a political "agnostic", I owned a gun or two but by most standards would probably have been considered a FUDD. When I discovered the amount of 2A liberty that existed throughout most of the rest of the US, that is when I became a diehard 2A supporter.

Almost 20 years later, based on a number circumstances beyond my control I did something I previously vowed never to do and moved back to MA. Since that time I've tried to do everything possible to fight to restore 2A rights in MA. I hope you can appreciate that.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Bottom