Thoughts on motorcycle

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi fellow neser's

I need some opinion on getting a bike. Took the safety class-highly reccomend it and got my license. I loved riding a bike. So been looking at some Honda bikes online and found a few. Harley's are nice but way over my budget. Older bikes and its my first so gonna learn on it. They are 1100s and will have some room to grow in them

I have been dumping some serious money into a rental property. I don't want to but it is what it is-electrical, roof, plumbing, bathroom. So my free cash is almost wiped out. This was my deployment money stash. Figured might as well use some money for me beifes it's gone.

I live modestly. Drive an older car, live in an ok town. Work two jobs. Going back to school part time. I have a decent job. I am in 40's and need a diversion from the usual working stuff life. Have a three year old and wife is pissed. But that's another story.

Really just looking to get into riding to enjoy it and increase my social network. She is a flaming liberal-dont ask. And wants nothing to do with bike. I am going stir crazy at home. I keep hearing motorcycle are death traps but everyone i know that has one loves it.

Anyone been in my situation have any thoughts and advice? This post could be much longer but here it is. Thanks

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
When I re-started riding after 35+ years of not riding a bike, I went this route :
1) 1st Bike to learn on - buy cheaper because you'll probably dump/crash it and if so, won't break your heart or budget
2) buy a smaller size motor, forcing you to get used to up/down shift a lot and not just rely on torque. Also less weight, easier to learn on.
3) once you really start to feel limited with this bike, and are comfortable riding it, THEN it is time look to upgrade and upsize to what you really want - and now have the experience to handle.

So I bought a Korean Hyundai 250cc, 6 speed, cruiser style to learn on...rode it for 1 full season, and the next year I was ready to move up and sold it and got a honda shadow..

Make sure to get decent gear - you're correct it being dangerous

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I certainly can't give you advice on your situation, but as far as bikes go I can offer my $.02.
People like to debate just about everything with bikes, but at the end of the day bikes are about fun and passion. Just about any bike will stir your soul when it's sitting in your garage, but the more you like the bike the more you will use it.
Don't go crazy with your first bike price-wise. Get something on the cheaper side (used) and that way if you want to sell it to trade up or whatever you can sell it for close to what you paid for it...if not more. There are a zillion good bikes out there for under $3k...and lower.
I am not a fan of the"get whatever size bike you want...the right hand controls the power" thinking and would suggest getting something lighter and more tame at first. Whether that's a 250 or an 1100 is for you to decide, just don't try and let the dickswingers decide for you.
Since you have a kid, do yourself a favor and get some gear. You were smart enough to take the safety class, so I'll leave it at that.
Keep it simple and safe at first and you are guaranteed to have fun and meet new people. There are a few ride-ins around and I while I haven't ridden in a few years, I am sure they are still going on. They are a good excuse to go for a ride and the people are always friendly. Sorry to hear you're not getting any support with this adventure. She may never come around, but you are still you and you are allowed to do things with your life...and that's important.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You can find a decent size import for small money. Plenty of Honda Shadows and the like on craigslist. Have a friend who knows bikes better check it out with you. But I would look for something in the 800 to 1200 cc range. Those are easy to learn on, anything smaller you will get comfortable quickly and bored just as quickly. And remember, everyone drops the first one. Including me.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Motorcycles are death traps.

Now, that doesn't mean they aren't fun. They are just significantly more dangerous than a car [smile]

I'd look at an older 600 to 750 "standard" style, something along the lines of a mid-80's CB650. Ride that for a year, get your first accident out of the way, and upgrade when you feel comfortable. Personally, I like sport bikes, but they get uncomfortable after a while and there is a lot of HP on tap for beginners.

A (slightly) less dangerous option you could look in to is getting a dirtbike or an ATV. Lower chance of getting hit by a car in the woods [laugh]

doctorbossman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
My 0.02.
Get a bike. It's a truly freeing experience to be on the open road, especially when there are stressors at home and work.

I've ridden bikes since 1995 and I've watched countless riders get into the sport only to drop out. Many don't realize the inconvenience of it: exposure to weather... managing gear once off the bike... helmet hair... limited carrying capacity. Many newbies succumb to the urge to get more bike that they can handle thinking they will grow into the more powerful bike. Most don't realize how close to calamity you really are on the road.

My advice is to buy a "starter bike". If you want to do this for a long time, grow into the sport... not into your first bike. Buy good gear and don't buy a helmet that too big (a common mistake). But a bright, conspicuous helmet. Think about what it'll be like carrying a jacket and glove and maybe your helmet (if no lock on your bike) around after parking. If you aren't going to wear a jacket and gloves, then by heaven's sake don't buy a bike.

As the class probably taught you... you are a car bumper magnet. Keep your head on a swivel. Assume NOBODY sees you.

Read the ironically named Hurt Study Motorcycles Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures. Here's a summary. It's old but the principles I think are still valid.
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html

Riding a motorcycle is a rewarding experience.

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I rode for years. Got hit twice. I was a VERY defensive rider. That being said, I'd get another bike in a heartbeat when finances allow.

usp45ct

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Have a bike and love it.

understand this though, there are 2 types of rider...those who have be down on a bike and those that are going to. You may be the safest rider on the planet, its the people around you that are a danger to you. Expect it, and anticipate it. Whatever you get for a bike, make sure the bike is not to quiet, noise can save your life. Also, get a set of decent armor protection if possible.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I am in the Worcester area. Great advice folks. Let me fill in the blanks.

I am looking at Honda shadows 1100 for under 3k. I have read a lot about them and they have a solid rep. Not knocking Harley's but its my first bike.

I am going to gear up. Probably German style helmut and a good coat. And i have a reflective belt. I know there are idiots on the road and my plan is for the rest of this year is to be parking lot boy. Next year secondary roads only. I drive me car like and old person so not looking to be the road warrior just enjoy the sites. I won't even take a rider until a solid year on road.

I will say this. Army, emt, could of been a cop but the pay cut was huge and never would of been around for my kid. Regrets yup. So I fly a desk for decent money. I am a middle aged guy with a three year old. My job is not the most exciting. I love the adrelein rush and been overseas twice and would do again. He'll i even thought about going to Israel and fighting when Hamas was shooting rockets. Either that or push more papers at work.

But I just need something to remind me that I still have some life to live. Sounds dumb i know. Wife pissed and getting usual cold shoulder-what else is new. But have a bud coming wih me. He has had motorcycles for over 40 years.

But thanks for advice. I am not ready to cut my balls off so my wife can store them in her purse

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I'd suggest there are two types of riders:
That that will do down...
And those this will go down again.
I always thought the two types of riders were those that owned Harley's and those that wished they did... [smile]

As for the OP's 'schedule' for riding over the next two seasons (after getting a bike)... WTF?? When I first learned to ride (had a friend teach me the bare basics, before taking a class), I rode side streets for a couple of weeks. Back roads for another couple of weeks (able to go faster) and then hit the progressively faster roads over the following few weeks. Within two months, I could easily travel down interstate highways without issue.

For bike size, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 750cc engine. Also, weight distribution on cruiser style bikes makes them much easier to control.

GPP

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am in the Worcester area. Great advice folks. Let me fill in the blanks.

I am looking at Honda shadows 1100 for under 3k. I have read a lot about them and they have a solid rep. Not knocking Harley's but its my first bike.

I am going to gear up. Probably German style helmut and a good coat. And i have a reflective belt. I know there are idiots on the road and my plan is for the rest of this year is to be parking lot boy. Next year secondary roads only. I drive me car like and old person so not looking to be the road warrior just enjoy the sites. I won't even take a rider until a solid year on road.

I will say this. Army, emt, could of been a cop but the pay cut was huge and never would of been around for my kid. Regrets yup. So I fly a desk for decent money. I am a middle aged guy with a three year old. My job is not the most exciting. I love the adrelein rush and been overseas twice and would do again. He'll i even thought about going to Israel and fighting when Hamas was shooting rockets. Either that or push more papers at work.

But I just need something to remind me that I still have some life to live. Sounds dumb i know. Wife pissed and getting usual cold shoulder-what else is new. But have a bud coming wih me. He has had motorcycles for over 40 years.

But thanks for advice. I am not ready to cut my balls off so my wife can store them in her purse
Not sure what you mean by " German style helmut", but I highly recommend a full face Arai, Shoei, Suomy, Bell, or AGV. Whacking ones head in a shitty helmut ( or helmet) makes for a sad day.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your choice on bike is very personal and as long as you are comfortable and there isn't much in it in terms of $$ fine. Echo the statement on helmet. Get a motorcycle jacket and protect your ankle. FWIW my first bike was a Suzuki GS500. I bought it new because I was sure I am not handy/patient enough to fix someone else's experiments...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Good advice on helmets. Have a windscreen so a 3/4 helmut is what I am looking at. Looks like a ww2 German helmut and has some side and back protection.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the old Honda Hawks. Also Honda Nighthawk 650 and Sport. Also the V-65 Sabre.

Good luck.

P.S. I've never seen nor heard of the Korean Hyundai motorcycle. But, why does it seem like all the poor countries have whole families riding on a 125cc bike, yet you don't see them as even low-end inexpensive commuter bikes over here?

Somewhere between a minibike, scooter, and small motorcycle, you'd think there would be a sweet spot for folks who only have to commute 10-15 miles on backroads and are gas conscious.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I like the old Honda Hawks. Also Honda Nighthawk 650 and Sport. Also the V-65 Sabre.

Good luck.

P.S. I've never seen nor heard of the Korean Hyundai motorcycle. But, why does it seem like all the poor countries have whole families riding on a 125cc bike, yet you don't see them as even low-end inexpensive commuter bikes over here?

Somewhere between a minibike, scooter, and small motorcycle, you'd think there would be a sweet spot for folks who only have to commute 10-15 miles on backroads and are gas conscious.
I know next to nothing about motorcycles. However, I was recently reading about a motorcycle that was brought over from Asia to the Western markets, and I think one of the things that they did was completely change the gearing for better acceleration. I imagine that is what makes the small engined motorcycles here different. Of course, the other thing could be that one american weighs as much as a third world family of four [rofl]

Top Bottom