Thoughts on M-Pro7 (and cleaning in general)?

This time I did a forum-wide search on M-Pro7 before posting :)

Being a newbie (I think I'll be buying a Ruger Mk III next week as my first gun), I have no previous associations between the fun of shooting and the smell of gun cleaner :)), so I'd prefer to go with a low-odor cleaner (and yes, I have read the warnings about the "fun" of re-assembling MkI/II/III pistols :))

So, for those of you who have used both "traditional" cleaners and M-Pro7, does M-Pro7 do a good job? Does it have downsides compared to standard cleaner? I've been able to find an M-Pro7 MSDS online and compared it to "traditional" cleaner's MSDSs I also found online and the M-Pro7 sure looks much less annoying (non-flammable, no fumes, no ventilation requirements, spills can be mopped up with soap and water, etc), so if it actually does the job it would be something I'd much rather use.

And while I was at FSG today (having a very nice conversation with someone who I unfortunately am drawing a blank on his name, who was very helpful and patient with lots of explanations about various things and showing me around the shop), one of the workers told me that he recommends never using a bore brush on a smallbore pistol (especially a target pistol) but to go patches-only. Does that make sense?

And any other cleaning/cleaning supply tips to newbies who are having to buy this stuff for the first time are quite welcome! :)

lagrangian said:
So, for those of you who have used both "traditional" cleaners and M-Pro7, does M-Pro7 do a good job? Does it have downsides compared to standard cleaner? I've been able to find an M-Pro7 MSDS online and compared it to "traditional" cleaner's MSDSs I also found online and the M-Pro7 sure looks much less annoying (non-flammable, no fumes, no ventilation requirements, spills can be mopped up with soap and water, etc), so if it actually does the job it would be something I'd much rather use.

Like you, I started out with M-Pro7. It worked fine but I figured that anything that smelled so inoffensive couldn't be doing a good job. :) So I tried some Hoppes No. 9. It seems to do somewhat better on powder residue, especially if I'm impatient and don't let it sit for a while. If I just douse everything with M-Pro7 and walk away for 15 minutes it cleans right up.

I'm shooting almost exclusively jacketed ammo so I don't have any leading to deal with.

lagrangian said:
And while I was at FSG today (having a very nice conversation with someone who I unfortunately am drawing a blank on his name, who was very helpful and patient with lots of explanations about various things and showing me around the shop), one of the workers told me that he recommends never using a bore brush on a smallbore pistol (especially a target pistol) but to go patches-only. Does that make sense?

If it's a .22, yeah, less is more. Clean the bolt face and surroundings but don't go nuts cleaning the barrel. I expect that a lot more guns have their barrels worn from cleaning than from shooting.

Others more qualified to answer your questions than I.

Here are my thoughts on M-Pro 7 having used it.

M-Pro 7 has four products:
1) Cleaner
2) Oil
3) CLP
4) Bore gel

The cleaner does a great job. There is no harsh chemical smell. The non-aeresol spray bottle is nice for coating deatiled parts. It works really well at taking off carbon. Just be careful with painted aluminum. I've heard that on cheap paint aluminum parts it can strip the paint. Shouldn't have anything to worry about with the Mark III, I've used it on all the parts in mine without issue.

I haven't used the oil, but I'm going to pick some up soon.

The CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant) seems okay. I still have a bottle of Breakfree CLP I'm using, so I haven't tried the M-Pro 7 yet. However, longterm I'll stick with Breakfree CLP.

The Bore Gel works well. It's basically the cleaner in a pasty format so it will cling to patches and inside the bore better. I've read online from various posts it works great.

BTW, Hoppes Elite (not regular Hoppes) and M-Pro 7 are the same thing.

The kits the sell is okay (especially if you don't have any of that brushes, patches, rod, etc, etc) but the best gun kit is a plastic tool box and the various individual compontents. Check this out...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread...2b91ba772d9e56&threadid=461882&highlight=mpro

I used to use Hoppe's No. 9. It works pretty well, but it is a kerosene-based cleaner and has a pretty significant odor. It doesn't smell bad, but it is pretty strong.

I've changed to M-Pro7. I don't think M-Pro7 works quite as well as Hoppe's, but it works well enough, has very little odor, and is non-toxic. So unless I've got some stubborn bore fouling, I stick with M-Pro7.

I've been using the M-Pro 7 cleaner for a couple of years now. Being sort of a traditionalist, I like to leave a bottle of Hoppe's open nearby while cleaning, just to help me remember what I'm supposed to be doing. [wink] I find that it does a first-rate job if I'm willing to let it sit for a while. I haven't tried the oil or CLP yet; I'll probably grab a can of their CLP when my Breakfree runs out.

Ken

I LOVE M-Pro 7 cleaner, I espeshally like the bore gel for getting the crud out of my Mosin Nagant.

I need to buy some more...I'm almost out!

-Weer'd Beard

PS: I rather like that it's not kerosine based. That stuff does smell pritty (and reminds me of shooting with my firends who use the stuff)

But frankly I'd rather not deal with harsh chemicals when I have the choice.

-Weer'd Beard

I have both the gel, and the spray. I find that I use the gel MUCH more than the spray.

I took the challenge. I cleaned a barrel with just Hoppes, brushed, and patched until the patches were coming out clean. I put some MPRO-7 into the bore, waited 10 minutes and pushed a patch through. Guess what... The patch came out BLACK!

I have found though, that Shooters Choice does a better job getting lead fouling out, but after I get the lead out, and get the patches to come out clean, I put some MPRO inside the bore, and get the rest of the stuff out.

On a side note, I have also found that MPRO is about one of the best products that doesn't use harsh chemicals that will take pine and juniper sap off my tools with just a rag!

Adam

Shooter's Choice is an excellent cleaner. But man that stuff is nasty.

I keep it around in case I've got some nasty fouling. But I hesitate to use it.

M1911 said:

Same way I feel about Sweet's 7.62 Bore Cleaning.

M1911 said:
I used to use Hoppe's No. 9. It works pretty well, but it is a kerosene-based cleaner and has a pretty significant odor. It doesn't smell bad, but it is pretty strong.

I've changed to M-Pro7. I don't think M-Pro7 works quite as well as Hoppe's, but it works well enough, has very little odor, and is non-toxic. So unless I've got some stubborn bore fouling, I stick with M-Pro7.
I heard Hoppe's No. 9 was toxic and if you do use it you should do so with good ventilation. I'm going to switch to M-Pro7 just in case it's true.

It is my understanding that Hoppe's No. 9 is mostly kerosene, which certainly is toxic -- so don't drink it. I don't know how bad it is to breath the fumes, but it certainly can't help you...

M1911 said:
It is my understanding that Hoppe's No. 9 is mostly kerosene, which certainly is toxic -- so don't drink it. I don't know how bad it is to breath the fumes, but it certainly can't help you...

FYI - Worth repeating, Hoppes Elite (not No. 9) is the same thing as M-Pro 7.

Adam_MA said:
I have found though, that Shooters Choice does a better job getting lead fouling out, but after I get the lead out, and get the patches to come out clean, I put some MPRO inside the bore, and get the rest of the stuff out.

I like MPRO7 for cleaning, but I've found that Shooter's Choice seems to work faster and get more gunk out of the barrel - my Hoppe's 9 is just sitting in a bottle languishing since I discovered these two products.

Oh, and don't use Blue Wonder if you don't like the smell of ammonia...

Old, old thread, but I didn't want to start another...

Just picked up some M-Pro7 cleaner today, I wasn't too impressed with it. I used it on my AR-15, it was ok cleaning the BCG, had a lot of carbon build up on the back of the bolt that it wouldn't cut through. I ran a few saturated pads down the barrel, then dry and it was coming out clean. It still looked dirty so I ran a patch saturated with Hoppe's 9 and it came out BLACK!!

I figure I'll keep the M-Pro7 for my 1911 and M&P, (the Hoppe's was a bit harsh on the M&P), and I'll use the M-Pro7 for the rest.

I have been using M Pro 7 with good results. I shoot a mostly lead bullets in practice and find that 7 and "Chore Boy" brass cleaning pads (available at your local supermarket) make short work of the lead residue, even in my Glocks. I use the high priced cleaners for the bore only and carb or brake cleaner for the rest of the gun. Why waste money? I have also switched over to synthetic motor oil rather than $6.00/4oz. Break Free. Again, why waste money? Synthetic motor oil is more than up to the task of lubricating firearms and a lot cheaper at $6.00 per quart.

I am pretty sensitive to chemical smells (cant use bleach and such as i'll get wicked dizzy) so the M-pro 7 has been all i've used. Works great on my 239 and I shoot it a lot. the lack of harsh smell was the deciding factor when I got it and I have no regrets [grin]

Old, old thread, but I didn't want to start another...

Just picked up some M-Pro7 cleaner today, I wasn't too impressed with it. I used it on my AR-15, it was ok cleaning the BCG, had a lot of carbon build up on the back of the bolt that it wouldn't cut through. I ran a few saturated pads down the barrel, then dry and it was coming out clean. It still looked dirty so I ran a patch saturated with Hoppe's 9 and it came out BLACK!!

I figure I'll keep the M-Pro7 for my 1911 and M&P, (the Hoppe's was a bit harsh on the M&P), and I'll use the M-Pro7 for the rest.

Were you applying it and then scrubbing, or did you wait 10-15 minutes before you started scrubbing?

I used to use that until I found M-Pro7. Like you, I still have some but only use it when I can clean outside and the gun is totally filthy!

For about the last 4 years, I have used M-Pro7 cleaner and the bore gel. I find that if you let it sit for awhile, it does an excellent job and won't asphyxiate you in a closed area.

Nothing different to say. The M-Pro 7 works best if you spray and let sit for 5 minutes or so. I use it all the time. I clean in my basement and the lack of strong odor is a huge plus.

I'm going to be switching to Pro-M on my next run to the toy store. Hoppe's, Sweets, and Shooter's Choice are all really getting to me and I'm sick of having to clean and reclean my stuff. Not to mention, I have to air out the house for hours to get rid of the smells.

Just picked up some M-Pro7 cleaner today, I wasn't too impressed with it. I used it on my AR-15, it was ok cleaning the BCG, had a lot of carbon build up on the back of the bolt that it wouldn't cut through. I ran a few saturated pads down the barrel, then dry and it was coming out clean. It still looked dirty so I ran a patch saturated with Hoppe's 9 and it came out BLACK!
I haven't changed my opinion in three years - MPro-7 for the outside of the gun and the action, Shooter's Choice for the bore. Sure, it stinks... but it works better.

Oh, and I think I gave away my Hoppe's...
I like MPRO7 for cleaning, but I've found that Shooter's Choice seems to work faster and get more gunk out of the barrel - my Hoppe's 9 is just sitting in a bottle languishing since I discovered these two products.

For about the last 4 years, I have used M-Pro7 cleaner and the bore gel.
Bore gel? Hmmm... I may have to find some and try that.

I have found it to work pretty good if allowed to sit for 10 or 15 minutes. When things get really nasty I still have to use the Hoppe's.
Or let it sit for 2-3 times longer, maybe.

...Or let it sit for 2-3 times longer, maybe.

I don't want to spend that much time on cleaning my guns, or waiting to be able to clean, haha. It's kind of funny that the bottle has "testimonies" saying it cut someone's cleaning time in half, yet requires you to wait 10 to 15 minutes before you can start cleaning.

Ahh well, I'll try something else when this runs out I guess.

I'd love to take the credit for this, but I got it from an AGI video: Simple Green for basic cleaning, followed with breakfree clp or just gun oil.

Compared to a gallon of #9, very cheap.

I'd love to take the credit for this, but I got it from an AGI video: Simple Green for basic cleaning, followed with breakfree clp or just gun oil.

Compared to a gallon of #9, very cheap.

+1 You only need the expensive stuff to clean the bore, but neither Simple Green nor Break Free is up to bore cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom