Thoughts on gun safes.

I have no problem with the dial locks. After you memorize the combo and
how to work the dial, it's not really a big deal.

The biggest advantage to a keypad is that you can manipulate the thing in
the dark, or near darkness, more than likely.

-Mike

I have no problem with the dial locks. After you memorize the combo and
how to work the dial, it's not really a big deal.

The biggest advantage to a keypad is that you can manipulate the thing in
the dark, or near darkness, more than likely.

-Mike

Another aspect is that some brain-surgeon figured out that super-shiny dials on S&G dial locks is a great idea. Depending on lighting the glare can really imped your operating the dial efficiently. I've had this discussion with Roger and one of his employees and they both agree. They (S&G) should have stuck to a dull/brushed finish on all dial locks "for security reasons".

Read the contrarian opinions in the gun safe threads on this site and weigh the convenience against the potential for a bricked keypad.

Maybe if you leave the safe out on your front lawn. [thinking]

If your safe is in a secure area or out of sight, most burglars are smash and grab types and won't be equipped to deal with safes too big to lift up and carry out. If lock gets smashed but they don't get inside, the safe has done it's job and either the warranty or homeowners insurance will take care of the cost to repair.

If your burglar KNOWS you have tons of guns and large gun safes, comes with an oxy-acetylene torch all bets are off! [See the thread on "CYA" in another sub-forum. If you post pictures, descriptions of what you own, where it's stored and how, well you might get what you asked for . . . professional visitors! Just something to think about.]

. . . Maybe if you leave the safe out on your front lawn. [thinking]

If your safe is in a secure area or out of sight, most burglars are smash and grab types and won't be equipped to deal with safes too big to lift up and carry out. If lock gets smashed but they don't get inside, the safe has done it's job and either the warranty or homeowners insurance will take care of the cost to repair.
. . .

Sorry, I was unclear.

A "bricked" electronic device is just a piece of electronic equipment that doesn't work anymore. It's called a brick because there isn't anything a typical end user can do to make it work again [smile] (read as house call for a safe technician)

I know hitting it with a brick / rock / hammer /etc won't help the crook!

NP, sorry that I mis-interpreted what you meant by "bricked". Since people are worried about break-ins, that is what first came to my mind.

I've had a bad electronic keypad. Eastern Safe replaced it almost immediately (I may have had to wait for 1-2 days). Plugged it in and all was well with the world again. I'd guess that any electronics inside the door (inaccessible from outside) is very unlikely to fail (but nothing is impossible).

I've had a dial lock go bad so that it would not open 99 out of 100 times. I know of another one that is having the same problem but it's an org and they haven't decided to do anything about it except complain as of now. When a dial goes bad is a real stinker . . . if you can't get it to open, you have to drill it. And this DOES happen. I don't know the statistics (Roger at Eastern Safe probably can tell you however), but I'd guess that this happens more frequently than the electronics BEHIND the door goes bad (but I'm taking a SWAG).

I did some figuring on this a while back.

My Stack-On gun cabinet will deter anyone who isn't a pro or who doesn't have some time to spend on it and we also have a security system. So chances are, anyone who can take the time to get into it wont' make it out of the house before the cops get here. The cabinet was $300.

A real safe on the other hand would run me in the range of $3000. Because paying $1600 to go cheap doesn't make sense to me at that level of spending.

The rider on my homeowners insurance which lists each gun at full replacement value runs about $250 per year.

If I had honest-to-God collector's items, I'd pony up for the safe. but I don't own any guns I couldn't replace. A full-on safe just doesn't make any sense to me. At some point I'll buy one of the giant super-deluxe ones. but it's not going to be any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom