• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on gun safes.

Morning all. Been a member for a while, though this is my first post. Can i have some of your thouughts on gun safes. Have several lower priced Sentry safes, don't know how good they are . Thanks / park4019[grin]

I have a Sentry 10-gun Fire-Safe. It's utilitarian. It's interior is carpetted, it has barrel holders, it's heavily built and reasonably secure. There are much better ones available, but it's a pretty effective way to secure a group of weapons and accessories.

The addition of a door mounted pistol rack will really expand the capacity though.

I have a Stack-on safe that was pretty cheap on sale at Dick's. (not the cheap sheet metal ones with key locks...although I do use a couple of those for ammo and powder storage) It is similar to the Sentry ones and only weighed about 275 pounds so my son and I were able to get it up the stairs with only a small hernia. It is utilitarian: spin combo lock, carpeted inside with combo long gun and/or shelves on the other side for storage or pistols. I modified by putting leather hang loops on the door to hold all of my pistols to free up more space for long guns. Been pretty happy with it but like any of the entry level ones it is not fire proof but it is solid enough to discourage any but the most hard core thieves. I would love to get one of the Cabella top line ones. They are just a flush toilet away from being a bomb shelter.

It's all relative - a gun locked in a metal gun cabinet is more secure than one locked up in a fabric case. One locked up in an inexpensive safe, like Sentry or Stack-on, is more secure than one in a gun cabinet. And a gun in a top-of-the-line, fire-resistant gunsafe (Liberty, Fort Knox, Cannon, etc), is more secure than one in a cheaper safe.

Generally, you get what you pay for. Personally, I just found a used Cannon safe for about half the price of brand new. Works for me.

Just make sure you bolt the safe to the floor (and wall, if possible) to make it even more difficult to haul away.

Another recommendation - I bought twice the safe I thought I would need. I now think the factor should be 3-4 times as big. Don't believe the numbers listed for capacity. I have a '22 gun' safe - and can't imagine what 22 rifles they think they could get in there = maybe some mighty thin ones - and all touching etc..... I think the capacity of mine (comfortable is around 16-18 rifles. AR's, scoped rifles, bolt guns all take up extra space....

Sentry safes. Give me 2 minutes with a skill saw with a carbide blade and your guns are mine. Ask me how I know..

Jason

we bought a stack on for our house (safe not cabinet) does the job well currently houses 10 pistols 2 rifles and a shot gun. has a combination lock which I like (would have prefered a digi pad) but it still gets the job done. I would like to add hang loops on the door to hold the majority of the handguns to make room for more ammo, I'll probably take care of that this summer

Thats how my fathers sentry got opened...

Jay

Sorry to hear that. What an awful feeling it must be to see your safe emptied. I guess the silver lining would be that you have an excuse to go gun shopping.

Another recommendation - I bought twice the safe I thought I would need. I now think the factor should be 3-4 times as big. Don't believe the numbers listed for capacity. I have a '22 gun' safe - and can't imagine what 22 rifles they think they could get in there = maybe some mighty thin ones - and all touching etc..... I think the capacity of mine (comfortable is around 16-18 rifles. AR's, scoped rifles, bolt guns all take up extra space....

This is good advice - I got the Dakota safe mainly because you can buy the expansion kits for it.. which I'm about to need to get one.

Sentry safes. Give me 2 minutes with a skill saw with a carbide blade and your guns are mine. Ask me how I know..

Jason

Do you really think the average punk thief is walking around with a skill saw with a carbide blade?? Unless someone knows you have a large amount of guns and ammo stored in your safe ( your fault for letting everyone know this ) the average thief is usually a punk ass kid looking for a quick score like a plasma tv,cash, jewelry or computer. He may try and smash the lock with a hammer but I doubt they'll waste much time and grab what they can.

All it takes is for one of your buddys to be running his mouth about all your stuff,you never know who's listening. Me, I only have 1 9mm and 1 box of ammo [rofl][rofl]

Do you really think the average punk thief is walking around with a skill saw with a carbide blade??

No, but thieves who case houses to find out who is on vacation, etc, might
come back with one.

Gun "safes" get compromised once in awhile. It might not be the majority of theft cases, but it does happen. All the BG needs is time, and a few rudimentary power tools to get in.

-Mike

I hear guardian safes are a good value and protect against everything except fire. I would endorse the idea of buying bigger than you need.

[QUOTE=djs764; Do you really think the average punk thief is walking around with a skill saw with a carbide blade?? Unless someone knows you have a large amount of guns and ammo stored in your safe ( your fault for letting everyone know this

They used my fathers skill saw which was in the work shop where the safe was. And no one besides my father, brother and myself knew what was there.

They got lucky. We feel that the safe is not what they were after due to the other things taken and that they did not get much out of the safe.

Jay

I was lookin for a thread like this to make my first post ( lol ) . I have a question . What if you live somewhere and you can bolt down the safe . I mean where I live im limited to the things I can do here. Really strict. No holes in the walls bigger then whatever size. No this no that. What do you guys recommend. Besides moving out ( i know thats going to come up ) . I do have a huge mans chest thats probably 7 feet tall . Im 6'6 and i have to reach . What about keeping things high off the ground.

Another point - if by chance the safe is broken into, many of the big safe companies compensate you for some of your loss. (I have a granite and I think it is $1500)

In that realm I'd just get the Sentry. If you can, bolt that thing into a floor/wall or put some lead shot or lead bullets in the bottom of it if you can't.

-Mike

I got a Browning safe a few years ago, when they were on sale at Kittery Trading Post. It's a larger model, weighs like 600+ pounds, and has the big pins that come outward from the door when it locks. I have it bolted to the floor. And, it has both a sensor switch in the safe, and a motion detector in that room (both connected to a very elaborate alarm system) to further keep it safe.

I agree with a previous post. The less secure is the cloth gun bag under the bed. Up the ladder of security somewhere is my safe. I suppose even a bank type vault isn't completely safe if someone is really determined to get in.

However, why mess with my system when the guy up the road doesn't have any security whatsoever?

Even a simple safe and security system keeps the honest people honest.

For keeping a kid out of your guns, a safe is the way to go.

For keeping a casual B&E artist out of your guns, a good safe is better than a cheap safe.

And, if you live in a high crime area..... MOVE!!!

I have been using the GSA safes for the last 5 years or so.

I have 4 or 5 of them I picked them up at a Military base sale.

If you want something like this You can go through a surplus sales company called Government Liquidation and do a search for a base sale near you.
http://www.govliquidation.com/

IPSContainer.JPG

GSACL5WL32.jpg

GSACL5MP.JPG

Below is the info from GSA about their safes.

GSA Class 5 Containers:

"Class 5 containers are typically used for storage of weapons and sensitive items such as funds, jewels, precious metals, etc. Class 5 containers may also be used for storage of classified documents, components, materials, and equipment. They provide the same protection as Class 6 plus ten minutes against forced entry attack. Class 5 containers come in several types: file cabinet, map and plan, weapon storage, COMSEC, and IPS."

Please Note: Unless you have a specific requirement to the contrary, under most circumstances, Class 5 security is not required for storage of classified documents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are four different types of Class 5 containers which are commonly available:

1. Class 5 filing cabinets, available in two and four drawer configurations. Five drawer filing cabinets are not available in Class 5 security at this time

2. Class 5 Map Plan Containers, available empty, or fitted with a variety of inserts to accommodate filing drawers, shelves, weapons and ammunition storage drawers, as well as several variations of pull out weapons carts, capable of securing up to 32 long weapons.

3. Class 5 General Purpose Container, available empty, or with several interior options including shelves and drawers.

4. Class 5 Information Processing Systems (IPS) Containers.

The following table lists the basic approximate shipping weights and dimensions of the various GSA Rated Class 5 Containers:

Description Weight (LB) Dimensions
Class 5 Two Drawer Container 590 25 x 21 x 28.5"
Class 5 Four Drawer Container 980 49 x 21 x 28.5"
Class 5 Map Plan Container (Empty) 1080 51 x 22 x 39"
Class 5 General Purpose Container 520 29 x 22 x 24"
Class 5 IPS Container 1230 51 x 22 x 35"

If you determine you have a requirement for a Class 5 container, please note these units are quit heavy. Consideration must be given to placement and installation access, as well as the ability of the floor structure of your building, or ship, to support one, or more, containers. When ordering, you must be specific as to exactly where the container is to be placed, with regard to elevators, stairs, etc, as well as the unloading facilities, i.e. docks, forklifts, present at your location. If special delivery services are required, and available in your area, these plans must be made at the time your order is placed.

If you are ordering a Class 5 filing cabinet, the only option to consider is color. All of our containers are available in Gray, Black or Parchment. Grey is the most common color, and normally is more readily available from stock.

For Map Plan containers, especially GSA Rated Class 5 Weapons Containers, there are a number of options to consider. There are two different configurations of weapons container, both with variations. The first would be a container in which the weapons are stored in pull out drawers. In this arrangement it is possible to outfit the container with up to seven drawers, each capable of accepting either pistols, long guns or ammunition. In the second configuration, the container is equipped with a weapons cart., which racks out and allows quick access to your weapons. There are two styles of carts available, the first accommodating up to 32 M-16s, or similar weapons. The second is the State Department Cart, accepting 16 M-16s, or similar, on one side and features shelves, for pistols or additional ammunition, on the other side. Both configurations are available with dual, top mounted, ammunition boxes. For complete information, as well a photos of various configurations please download this brochure.

The GSA Rated Class 5 Information Processing Systems (IPS) Container is manufactured to a Class 5 rating under Federal Specification AA-C-2786 for protection of classified information and materials. These units are designed to give closed door protection to operating computer systems and related components. Standard 19" rack mount components are accepted, including shelves, drawers and other standard accessories. A secure cable box maintains equipment protection while allowing for cable and cord hook-up from outside the safe. The unit also segregates your equipment from potentially harsh outside conditions by providing a heat exchanger to dissipate accumulated heat from inside the cabinet. This greatly reduces the introduction of dust, moisture and other potentially corrosive environmental elements leading to reduced maintenance and, overall, much equipment cleaner operation.

I just picked up a Stack-on safe myself(in the new acquisitions thread). It seems pretty sturdy and has some nice thick bolts to help protect against prying and such. It's only 255 pounds so you don't need a crane or forklift to move it. I also bought it for the weight reason because I don't see myself living at the house I am at now for the rest of my life so I wanted something I could move somewhat easily. Also I am on a budget but didn't want to short myself in the protection area. It cost $400 over at DSG. If someone was looking at the cabinet Stack On's instead of the safe's I would definitely recommend taking a step up and get something like the one I got. It's also convertible from 12-19 guns with shelving also which was key.

Add a couple!!

Add a couple, possible four bags of lead shot to the bottom of the safe, it will usually fit under the floor of the safe.. And it's a couple of more pounds of Anti-hauling :)

Adding a base that is much larger then any doorway, helps too..

[rolleyes]

I was lookin for a thread like this to make my first post ( lol ) . I have a question . What if you live somewhere and you can bolt down the safe . I mean where I live im limited to the things I can do here. Really strict. No holes in the walls bigger then whatever size. No this no that. What do you guys recommend. Besides moving out ( i know thats going to come up ) . I do have a huge mans chest thats probably 7 feet tall . Im 6'6 and i have to reach . What about keeping things high off the ground.

Last edited:
My only suggestion is to get a key pad, not a combo lock. It takes me damn near three tries to open my (cheap) Sentry safe.

Back
Top Bottom