Thoughts on CZ Shadow 2 SA

Nomad3

NES Member
I'm in the market for a new range toy and narrowed it down to the Shadow 2, but I'm having trouble deciding on DA/SA or SAO. I've held both and thought the trigger was nicer in the SA version. Not by much, but noticeable. Because of that I'm sorta leaning towards getting it. However, I feel like I'm making a mistake since for similar price the optics ready version is available. I don't plan on using an optic but perhaps having the option in the future would be nice? I understand the SA version is not production legal in competitions but I'm not buying the pistol for that purpose. Although, again, having the option in the future might be nice. One minor issue observed is the optics ready doesn't have rear serrations making it more difficult to rack the slide without an optic attached, and doesn't look as cool. Lastly, I feel like the optic ready version is more desirable if I were to someday sell.

So, buy the SA because the trigger is slightly better?... or buy the OR version because that opens up options for the long term? Maybe play with spings to tune the DA/SA trigger?

Thanks!

I don’t really understand the S2 SAO. The Shadow 2 was purpose built for Production class DA/SA. If you want SAO then I’d go with a TSO, or TS2, or even TS since prices are getting better and better on them.

And with tuning the SA of an S2 can get around 2lbs

Last edited:
You can shoot the double action shadow 2 as a single action if you wish, just put in the wider safety that comes with it.

Buy the optics ready and convert it to SAO. Cheaper to buy an SAO trigger and parts than to mill the slide or buy another upper.

And with tuning the SA of an S2 can get around 2lbs
This. I’m pretty sure my cajunized S2 is around 2.5ish with super short reset. I’m not sure why you’d need it any lighter especially if the OP is not competing just a range toy.

I'm in the market for a new range toy and narrowed it down to the Shadow 2, but I'm having trouble deciding on DA/SA or SAO. I've held both and thought the trigger was nicer in the SA version. Not by much, but noticeable. Because of that I'm sorta leaning towards getting it. However, I feel like I'm making a mistake since for similar price the optics ready version is available. I don't plan on using an optic but perhaps having the option in the future would be nice? I understand the SA version is not production legal in competitions but I'm not buying the pistol for that purpose. Although, again, having the option in the future might be nice. One minor issue observed is the optics ready doesn't have rear serrations making it more difficult to rack the slide without an optic attached, and doesn't look as cool. Lastly, I feel like the optic ready version is more desirable if I were to someday sell.

So, buy the SA because the trigger is slightly better?... or buy the OR version because that opens up options for the long term? Maybe play with spings to tune the DA/SA trigger?

Thanks!
If you’re near Gloucester, more than welcome to shoot my cajunized S2. It’s about as good as it gets for a DA/SA since it’s been fully tuned/internals polished by Cajun gun works. I think it’s around 5.5lb DA and 2.5lb SA?

I don't think I've even noticed the difference between the 2.
I've noticed a lot of the d.a. shooters roll the hammer back to that first notch for a d.a. only start, they say it makes a difference in taking out some of the travel.

This. I’m pretty sure my cajunized S2 is around 2.5ish with super short reset. I’m not sure why you’d need it any lighter especially if the OP is not competing just a range toy.
it probably should be stated outright - for the competition you would need to begin with a hammer down, so, you would need a DA capable gun.
my shadow 2 is a SA/DA and i like it better that way than just an SAO, but both are great.

there was a discussion about this exact thing recently and in competition, apparently, it is not allowed to set it on the first notch - it needs to be all the way down, because rules?
i have an extended pin in mine, and if you would let it slip the hammer why dropping it down - well, it may go boom. so got to be careful, when it gets cajunized with longer pin and weaker springs. it is definitely a pleasure to shoot after that mod, but, adds a bit of a potential hazard.

it probably should be stated outright - for the competition you would need to begin with a hammer down, so, you would need a DA capable gun.
my shadow 2 is a SA/DA and i like it better that way than just an SAO, but both are great.

there was a discussion about this exact thing recently and in competition, apparently, it is not allowed to set it on the first notch - it needs to be all the way down, because rules?
i have an extended pin in mine, and if you would let it slip the hammer why dropping it down - well, it may go boom. so got to be careful, when it gets cajunized with longer pin and weaker springs. it is definitely a pleasure to shoot after that mod, but, adds a bit of a potential hazard.
No you can shoot a SAO CZ in USPSA competitions, but it puts you in Limited or Limited-10 division.
In IDPA it puts you in ESP division (Assuming it makes weight which is only possible with milling work)

I'm just looking to ring steel hickok45 style, and occasionally I'll do club-level IDPA matches. I currently shoot a 1911 in 9mm for that purpose.

I think I'm missing the purpose of DA when most of the time you're shooting in SA anyways. Are people buying the DA/SA simply because it meets competition rules?

I'm just looking to ring steel hickok45 style, and occasionally I'll do club-level IDPA matches. I currently shoot a 1911 in 9mm for that purpose.

I think I'm missing the purpose of DA when most of the time you're shooting in SA anyways. Are people buying the DA/SA simply because it meets competition rules?
If you like the ergonomics and trigger of the shadow just buy it. Will make a great range gun.
It’s too heavy for IDPA, stock, so you have to do some milling work. Or you can just shoot it but your scores won’t count

Thanks all for the comments. Went with the SA version and couldn’t be happier. Shot a few hundred rounds this weekend with my father and we both walk away with smiles. Ended up putting a set of Lok grips (palm swell bogies) on before it’s first use.

Attachments

• CAF5874F-19BC-4E27-8A3A-DA9161FA9FA3.jpeg
    CAF5874F-19BC-4E27-8A3A-DA9161FA9FA3.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 37
I don't think I've even noticed the difference between the 2.
I've noticed a lot of the d.a. shooters roll the hammer back to that first notch for a d.a. only start, they say it makes a difference in taking out some of the travel.
Just so you know. I've shot CZ's for years in both IDPA and USPSA including a Shadow2 lightened to make ESP rules. Decocking the hammer to the first notch (i.e. Half Cock) is illegal in IDPA (A.1.2.1.3) and in USPSA will get you bumped from Prod to Open (Rule 8.1.2.2 and Appendix D4). If you have a decocker version you are allowed to use the decocker which actually places the hammer in a half-cock position but the guns being discussed here are not normally decocker guns and must be manually decocked.

As for the guns themselves I would not get an SA only S2 as the DA/SA is a great gun out of the box and with minor updates (lighter hammer spring and extended firing pin) are extremely light and reliable triggers. If you want SA only then buy a TS or TSO. If you want to shoot SA with an S2 then put the safety on as I can not feel any discernible difference between my S2 in single action and my TSO.

Back
Top Bottom