• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on bubble level on rifle scope?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Question is if you are not shooting long range competition is there any real usefulness in using one of these? I'm starting to set up a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 and going through the planning stages of what I'll be installing. So far I will be using a Vortex Viper PST Gen II FFP 5-25x50mm scope mounted in a Larue LT111 QD mount. I already had a Harris 6"-9" bipod that I've installed already and I'll also be installing a rear monopod to help with stabilizing the rifle while aiming.

While I understand the concept and reasons for the level, I'll mostly be shooting in the 200 yard and occasionally up to 600 yard range. For that type of shooting do you see the need for the level?

level.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JP4WU2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A86M66Z7Z0Z95

Question is if you are not shooting long range competition is there any real usefulness in using one of these? I'm starting to set up a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 and going through the planning stages of what I'll be installing. So far I will be using a Vortex Viper PST Gen II FFP 5-25x50mm scope mounted in a Larue LT111 QD mount. I already had a Harris 6"-9" bipod that I've installed already and I'll also be installing a rear monopod to help with stabilizing the rifle while aiming.

While I understand the concept and reasons for the level, I'll mostly be shooting in the 200 yard and occasionally up to 600 yard range. For that type of shooting do you see the need for the level?

View attachment 190248

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JP4WU2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A86M66Z7Z0Z95
When I mounted the scopes, I solidly sandbagged each rifle from both sides to keep them level, then I used a small, inexpensive level from my tool box to center the reticle. Put the level (about 5 bucks at Lowes home improvement stores) on top of the top knob of your scope. Turn the scope within the rings until the bubble centers, then tighten the screws on the top part of the scope rings, slowly but firmly. At this point, you can use a laser boresighter or take out the bolt and line up what you see through the barrel to what you see through the scope. This should get you on paper at 50 yards. Fine-tune with a couple of sighting-in shots with a cold barrel and you should be OK.

The level he's referring to isn't for mounting the scope - it's for keeping the gun level while shooting.

At 600 yards even I wouldn't bother.

Enjoy the RPR - I have one in 6.5 - it's a fun gun.

Did you buy the bipod with angle adjustment - or did you get a fixed one?
If you got the angle adjustment - can you hold your rifle level?
Do you plan to ever shoot this - not at a range? Meaning, rural shooting or hunting - where you might have to set up a shot that isn't on a flat surface?
Do you want an indicator of why you're consistently off at 600 but not at 200?
I don't think it can hurt you, but it can certainly help you. But at the end of the day, is it necessary? No..

ETA: Also - there are other types of levels, that aren't as big, if the look/size is part of your reasoning against it.

Shooting at 600 yards, especially on a range (level shooting surface and level target area) it will be of limited use, if any.

If you're shooting from an area that is canted, or at a target that is on canted ground, it can be a nice reference.

FWIW:

I have an anti-cant level on my crossbow. After I put it on I was surprised by two things:

1. It's a lot harder than you think to hold it level. Especially on uneven ground (hunting). Your mind plays tricks on you.

2. It makes a bigger difference than I would have thought on my crossbow.

My wife bought me a 30-06 for Christmas. I will be mounting an anti-cant level on it as well.

Bob

When you get all snug up behind your rifle in a nice "natural" position how level will your gun be.
I know for guns with out a can't adjustable recoil pad when I shoot prone and get all nice a comfy the guns like to cant to the right ....I'm lefty.

If you have one and need it, good. If you don't have one and need it, Oh Well. That goes the same for a scope if you only have a 3-9 power zoom and want more power why not get a higher power scope in the first place.

I used to compete at 1,000y when I lived in CA and only one or two geek freaks had a bubble level on their scopes. I just ran some numbers through a ballistics calculator.

At 600y, a 10degree cant will move you sideways 0.6MOA.
For context, a 1MPH crosswind will move your .308 sideways 0.5MOA at 600y.
Elevation change is negligible (<0.1MOA).

Anyone can hold better than 10degrees so other errors like reading the wind and rifle accuracy will dominate. Besides, you'll look like a gear whore who covers his rifle with S.R.D.s (skill replacement devices).

Last edited:
I used to compete at 1,000y when I lived in CA and only one or two geek freaks had a bubble level on their scopes. I just ran some numbers through a ballistics calculator.

At 600y, a 10degree cant will move you sideways 0.6MOA.
For context, a 1MPH crosswind will move your .308 sideways 0.5MOA at 600y.
Elevation change is negligible (<0.1MOA).

Anyone can hold better than 10degrees so other errors like reading the wind and rifle accuracy will dominate. Besides, you'll look like a gear whore who covers his rifle with S.R.D.s (skill replacement devices).

Also wont trying to fight a cant if you dont have provisions to adjust for it be just as detrimental to accuracy and repeat-ability. I shoot iron sights and because when i shoot sitting i have to tun a few moa windage to make up for my cant vs prone. Now its service rifle so i cant have adjustable cant on my recoil pad. i do how ever have adjustable recoil pads for other guns like my shotgun and a few pellet guns i like to shoot for accuracy in my back yard.

It all depends on what you are looking to do. If you want to hit a 14" plate at 600 yards, no. If you want to shoot as small of a group as possible, yes, it matters.

If your reticle is not level, the turret adjustment will not be exactly vertical or horizontal. Ex. An upward adjustment will be up and sideways. The rifle does not need to be level as long as the scope is. Some shooters purposely cant their rifles, but level their scopes.

You need the laser version that when perfectly level, slaps you on the back of the head and says "send it".

Back
Top Bottom