• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on AR9?

I have been considering an AR9 recently, thinking it would be a fun gun to plink at the range with. I have never shot one. However, after looking more into the build and watching some videos, they look awfully 'jumpy' when shooting and may not be the smooth shooting pistol caliber carbine I had in mind with the heavy bolt, heavy buffer, slow cycle etc..

Anyone have one or shoot one? Are they fun or not so much?

AR's in 9mm can def be snappy. Shooting side by side with an MP5/HK94 feels like a BB gun. Original Colt SMG's had a noriously violent action that would cause frequent failures of mag releases and even fracturing of lowers around the FCG pins due to the high bolt speeds.
I think I ended up with an H4 buffer and stiffer spring to settle mine down. The JP PCC buffer looks pretty slick but It's serious bucks. Still its fun for plinking and I want to do some USPSA PCC at some point

Last edited:
We shoot them all the time, great guns and a ton of fun. Because they are a direct blowback gun the are dirty pigs and can be a little jumpy but easily manageable. We use them in IDPA and USPSA. They are accurate, fast and can be lightweight depending on how you build them. (Providing you build an AR variant instead of HK or other). You can get lowers that accept Glock, Colt/UZI, HK MP5 or Sig mags.

I will echo what goodwill said, there’s a reason why mp5’s are considered the holy grail of 9mm subs. The difference in recoil of my mp5 compared to my scorpion is like a 10/22 vs a ar15

AR9 is more fun than a .22 rimfire conversion, especially when the range you are at (or the distance) doesn't allow 5.56. If you can legally have shorter barrels (e.g. as an AR pistol or SBR), they run well in short barrel configuration.

If you have an AR and Magpul 30-round PMAGs, consider getting a good 9mm upper and a couple of the MEAN EndoMag™ converters. (They offer a reduced capacity pre-assembled mag for ban states).

Last edited:
There's a lot of great PCC's out there. I own an AR9 as well as a Vector and an MP5 clone.
Reliability wise, the vector has actually been the best. Never a jam or hiccup. Takes glock mags. Easy to take down and clean. Shooting wise, the MP5 clone takes the cake. Hard to describe, but the roller lock/delayed blowback operation is a whole new level of smooth that feels amazing. Akin to shooting an AR15 and then picking up a buddies 15-22.

Also, whatever you get, plan on SBR'ing it. More fun that way :)

I would agree the MP5 and clones are the most fun to shoot. Might be worth checking out the CMMG line as they have a radial delayed blowback system that's supposed to be decent.

Same. I bought a new frontier armory lower and used all there parts. After a short break in it runs great and is a ton of fun.

People are complaining about ar9 recoil? Shocked but I haven’t shot one. I have a lower using mean arms endomags ready to go but I’m still trying to find the right upper atm.

Another option is Ruger's PC9. I have multiple AR's in Georgia, including one factory built for 9mm, but with the legalities in CT, I went for the PC9 rather than messing with one of the few AR's I have up here. It's a fun gun, kind of like a 10/22 on steroids. Because I shoot Glocks, I have a bunch of mags that fit it, so I swapped the feed with the supplied parts; and I put the charging handle on the left side so that I don't have to move my shooting hand.

Ruger® PC Carbine™ * Autoloading Rifle Models

I love my Colt AR-9. It’s a fun range gun, but shooting side by side with an AR-15 is an experience. If you’re in MetroWest, I’m happy to take you to my range to try mine.

I’m interested in an AR-10/.308 build as well. Those seem like they would be a fun range toy too.

Last edited:
My Colt AR9 is a fun shooter and no issues. That having been said, allen-1 is correct regarding the Ruger PC9. It's a pretty nice 9mm carbine that's hard to beat and for the money, nothing else is even close to being as good in quality, or dependability.

Back
Top Bottom